April 2013 Moms

Dental insurance?

I am working on the benefit for a for my H's new job. Query: is dental insurance worth getting for the family? It would be about $900 a year for all of us and has a max benefit annually of $1,000. It covers cleanings at 100% but other stuff at only 50%. Worth getting at $80/month?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dental insurance?

• Can you opt of for the kids for a few years?  Cavities are like $150 each, but if I remember right I didnt really need work until I was like 8 or 10.  For me and DH its definitely worth it, but hard to swallow the expense when half the family doesnt have all their teeth!
    imageimageimage
  • Do u want to pay 100% for a 250$ filling (if ever needed) or half of that..do u want to pay 150-300 for cleaning and exams and X-rays or have it covered every 6 months that you are supposed to go..maybe I'm biased for being in dental field but insurance is worth it
  • Loading the player...
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    Ok I'm convinced. I think the rate is the same for family coverage and the older kid is due for his first dental visit. Or overdue... So I guess we'll spring for it. Just annoying expense when the only benefit we usually use is the cleaning. Such is the gamble with any insurance I guess.
  • Our healthcare insurance includes dental for children under 18. Woohoo! DH and I have dental through my work but DS has it through our health insurance through husbands work.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • I don't see the point of paying $900 for something that's only worth $1,000 max...seems like you'd be on the losing end of that one odds-wise.

Anniversary

• I honestly don't know what would be a good amount. DH pays $2 a month for DDs dental. But I kinda agree with @megandscott07‌
  • Depending on how many kids you have, $1000 may not even cover yearly cleanings plus x-rays...

If the benefit is $1,000 per person, that's a different story.

Anniversary

• JSS1002JSS1002 member

I don't see the point of paying $900 for something that's only worth $1,000 max...seems like you'd be on the losing end of that one odds-wise.

I go to the dentist twice a year for teeth cleaning and that's probably $300 just for me -- so I would assume the same for all family members, which kind of pushes you over that threshold since cleanings are included. Also, does that include X-rays and flouride treatments as preventative care?

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Depending on how many kids you have, $1000 may not even cover yearly cleanings plus x-rays...

If the benefit is $1,000 per person, that's a different story.

Most insurances are per person (yes ik not all)
  • Under the ACA, all medical plans have to include pediatric dental and vision for all dependents under age 19 like @arschm02‌ said effective January 1st. So if your medical plan renewed this year already then the kids should automatically have dental. Is that $80 a month the employee/spouse rate? If so then that rate is kind of high. I work in benefits too and have seen a lot of people opt out for this reason

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Kate_CKate_C member
    @tondraluv‌ - you're the best! We will definitely check on the dental coverage for the kids. The $80/ month is the family rate.
  • @Kate_C I can look at you benefit summary for you if you want, just pm me.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"