November 2014 Moms
Options

Gender ultrasound question

Hi ladies, kind of a weird question for ya- if one wants to find out the gender of their baby, would eating food or drinking juice before the ultrasound help? As in, if the baby's moving around a lot is that helpful to be able to get a glimpse of the gender?

Just kind of wondering if the baby is sleeping whe people say they weren't "cooperating" and couldn't see gender.

Thanks!

Re: Gender ultrasound question

• Options
    abbyfulabbyful member
    Hyper baby = harder for the ultrasound tech to see what they need to see.

Just eat and drink normally.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I assume you're talking about the anatomy scan and not an elective sex determination? If that's the case, finding out the sex is secondary to checking out the baby's organs and making sure everything looks healthy, so I wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize the tech's ability to see everything he/she needs to see (and a bouncing, wriggly baby can definitely make things difficult).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree; just do everything as you normally would & male sure you have a full bladder. I think it's rare with today's technology that they are absolutely unable to see the gender, even if the baby's not in the best position. You should be fine :)
  • Options
    I am having an elective ultrasound at 16 weeks and since we're paying for it, I want to have the best possible chance of finding out. Thanks for your advice!
    I don't drink caffeine so I won't start now. Maybe I'll lay off the juice as well!
  • Options
    Byrdie15 said:

I am having an elective ultrasound at 16 weeks and since we're paying for it, I want to have the best possible chance of finding out. Thanks for your advice!
    I don't drink caffeine so I won't start now. Maybe I'll lay off the juice as well!

Most of those places will bring you back for free if they can't tell. I'd ask about that!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Welll....a lethargic baby doesn't help either. Our tech almost gave up after 45 minutes because DS was sleeping and wouldn't move and the tech couldn't see what she needed to see. I had eaten and drank normally. So I don't entirely agree. I wouldn't guzzle oj but I would have some. I had a glass before my nt and it proved to be a bit much not not impossible for the techs either. They got their measurements and profile shots. They're extremely trained individuals. They aren't just idiots with wands. They're skilled and know how to handle an active baby. A lethargic one can only have so much done to it. I actually had to have a second scan after my a/s due to DS being so lethargic because they couldn't get some measurements due to him not moving.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

• Options
    Welll....a lethargic baby doesn't help either. Our tech almost gave up after 45 minutes because DS was sleeping and wouldn't move and the tech couldn't see what she needed to see. I had eaten and drank normally. So I don't entirely agree. I wouldn't guzzle oj but I would have some. I had a glass before my nt and it proved to be a bit much not not impossible for the techs either. They got their measurements and profile shots. They're extremely trained individuals. They aren't just idiots with wands. They're skilled and know how to handle an active baby. A lethargic one can only have so much done to it. I actually had to have a second scan after my a/s due to DS being so lethargic because they couldn't get some measurements due to him not moving.
    this happened to me to.  I took measures into my own hand lol by getting up and jumping around.  I looked ridiculous.

N14 mommy to be :)

My favorites: husband, chocolate.

• Options
    NLJ82NLJ82 member
    Byrdie15 said:
    I am having an elective ultrasound at 16 weeks and since we're paying for it, I want to have the best possible chance of finding out. Thanks for your advice! I don't drink caffeine so I won't start now. Maybe I'll lay off the juice as well!
    Byrdie15  I opted to do the exact same thing and they told me to drink orange juice about an hour before I came in. I drank it all morning and the tech said It definitely worked lol. He was all over the place and she said that she would rather him be moving all over the place then asleep and then have to try to wake him up and have a chance of not seeing what she needed to. At the office I went to she could replay what she had seen & slow it down a little to get a better look at what she was seeing since he was so active. I definitely suggest some orange juice ;-)

• Options
    A little oj couldn't hurt to wake baby up a little. That's what I did for my gender US and we were able to determine the gender easy since baby was awake.  I heard some of those baby ultrasound places recommend soda or super sweet drink 30 min prior but, I think that would make the baby tooooo hyper/wiggly and make it hard to determine the gender.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    lamcoxlamcox member
    I drank OJ with my 1st and plan on doing it with this one.

The only thing I remember with my 1st is that one time the tech had to take an extra picture or 2 of her arm or leg because she was flailing it.

• Options
    We've had one twin asleep at each ultrasound. At the NT scan they poked my belly and made me jump around to wake B up. The dr told me to drink half a glass of orange juice before I come in for the next one.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    For my gender ultrasound the tech asked me to bring apple juice with me incase the baby didn't want to move around.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"