Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Switching from infant car seat?

When did you switch your baby out of the infant car seat? My baby girl is six months old and seems like she Is about ready to outgrow her infant seat, her feet are right at the edge and very little head room, so I'm trying to figure out when I need to plan on buying a new seat.

Re: Switching from infant car seat?

• We switched B just before she hit 6mo. She still had plenty of room, but her plus the seat were just so darn heavy. My DH has a bad back so we made the jump to a convertable. So far so good. It's easier just to put her in the stroller (for him) and for me to just wear her. No regrets.
    Can't figure out the signature thing, so here's the short, short version.....first daughter born on November 10, 2013. She was conceived through the magic of IVF after 2+ years of TTC.
  • Loading the player...
  • We switched at 5m because the bucket seat was too heavy with him. We keep that in DHs car, but now have the convertible in mine, which is what is used 99% of the time. I wasn't lugging him around in the bucket anymore, so I felt we didn't need it.
    Married since 2008 | TTC #1 since 2011

2 losses: Nov '11 and Aug '12
    Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
    Moving on to IUI or IVF.

3.4.13:  Holy crap! Surprise natural BFP on cycle #19. EDD 11.12.13
    We've got a peen.....it's a boy! 
    Little man born 11.17.2013 via c-section

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• BoyOhBoysBoyOhBoys member
    edited May 2014
    A week shy of 6 months. I baby wear as well and it is MUCH easier!
  • We switched to our convertible car seat (Britax Advocate) when DS was about 6 months.  We were really done with the infant seat.  First off, he is pretty heavy, so we were not using the carrier function.  We hated the straps / tightening mechanism on our Graco infant seat.  Not sure why, but it never seemed to work properly for us when installed in the base.  It was such a pain.  We upgraded to the Britax Advocate and were so happy with it.  DS looked so much more comfortable.  It is super easy to load him in and out of.  I didn't miss the infant seat at all and I wished we had switched sooner!
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• elmoali said:
    Feet hanging over the edge isn't a sign of the seat being outgrown.  The criteria are if she is at the max height, max weight or if she has less than 1" of shell above her head.  You have to switch her to a new seat as soon as she reaches ANY (not all) of those.  If she's close to the 1" at the top you should definitely start looking for a convertible.  If you'd like recommendations or help, there's a great FB page called Car Seats for the Littles.  It's run by trained car seat techs.  

I couldn't have said it better.

• We switched back when LO was 5ish months. She hadn't hit the requirements, but it was so darn heavy, and with her big fluffy bottom the straps barely fit anymore.

• roo1ooroo1oo member
    He's 7 mo old and getting close to outgrowing it but still in the infant seat. We'll be switching as soon as I figure out what carseats to get. We need two (one for each car) so its gonna be a bit pricey.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @roo1oo It doesn't have to be depending on how big your kid is, what your rear facing goals are and what special features you want.  Do you need any help choosing?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• We switched around 5 mo. We had a basic Graco that went to 22 lbs. DS is a big guy and maxed out the weight.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • roo1ooroo1oo member
    elmoali said:
    @roo1oo It doesn't have to be depending on how big your kid is, what your rear facing goals are and what special features you want.  Do you need any help choosing?
    Right now I'm seriously considering a Radian R100 or the new Olympia. Mostly because if I'm gonna spend $400+ on two carseats it'd be nice if its the last carseat I ever need for this LO, and because I've heard they fit in cars/small suvs well. Daycare provider has one that she's going to let me try to fit into my car to see if it works. Otherwise I'll probably go with one of the Britax seats. 
  • Well, know that for the Radian, the booster is outgrown at the same time the harness is so if you max out the harness use, the seat is then useless.  Depending how old your child is, you will either need a high back or a no back booster as well.  Britax shells are short and aren't recommended for taller children, which is why I was curious how big she is.  If you're looking to rear face beyond two, look into the Chicco NextFit or the Graco Size4me/MySize/Headwise (same shell but exclusive names at different stores).  The NextFit is the most compact from to back and second longest rear facing after the Gracos.

• roo1ooroo1oo member
    elmoali said:
    Well, know that for the Radian, the booster is outgrown at the same time the harness is so if you max out the harness use, the seat is then useless. 
    You take the harness off and use the car seatbelt I thought...
  • roo1oo said:
    elmoali said:
    Well, know that for the Radian, the booster is outgrown at the same time the harness is so if you max out the harness use, the seat is then useless. 
    You take the harness off and use the car seatbelt I thought...
    The booster has a 50 pound minimum to use the seatbelt.  At that weight, most kids will be too tall because the belt guide on the Radian isn't very high.

• ejb23ejb23 member
    edited May 2014
    @elmoali you seem knowledgable about this topic. Do you have a rec for a tall& heavy baby plus small car? My LO is 99% for height and weight. I'd like a one stop shop and not have to buy another for her plus keep her rear facing for as long as possible. TIA!

Eta: OP I don't mean to thread hijack!

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

• ejb23 said:
    @elmoali you seem knowledgable about this topic. Do you have a rec for a tall& heavy baby plus small car? My LO is 99% for height and weight. I'd like a one stop shop and not have to buy another for her plus keep her rear facing for as long as possible. TIA! Eta: OP I don't mean to thread hijack!
    I'm assuming she isn't walking yet.  Kids typically slow down on their weight as they become mobile but her height curve is likely to stay the same.  The most compact front to back extended rear facing seat is the Chicco NextFit.  One of the newish Graco seats(Size4Me/MySize/Headwise/Contender) are technically the longest lasting height wise for rear facing but aren't as compact.  You could also look into the Radian we were talking about above but to fit in a compact car you'd definitely need to use the angle adjuster.

• ejb23ejb23 member
    elmoali said:

ejb23 said:

@elmoali you seem knowledgable about this topic. Do you have a rec for a tall& heavy baby plus small car? My LO is 99% for height and weight. I'd like a one stop shop and not have to buy another for her plus keep her rear facing for as long as possible. TIA!

Eta: OP I don't mean to thread hijack!

I'm assuming she isn't walking yet.  Kids typically slow down on their weight as they become mobile but her height curve is likely to stay the same.  The most compact front to back extended rear facing seat is the Chicco NextFit.  One of the newish Graco seats(Size4Me/MySize/Headwise/Contender) are technically the longest lasting height wise for rear facing but aren't as compact.  You could also look into the Radian we were talking about above but to fit in a compact car you'd definitely need to use the angle adjuster.

Thanks! Yeah she just started crawling 2 weeks ago so not walking yet. I'll look into these Graco ones. I'd been searching the radian but will switch it up!

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"