March 2014 Moms

8wk check up, torticollis

Well my sweet Levi has torticollis.  Anyone else dealing with this?  We will start the exercises to help strengthen his neck muscles and we are being referred to a physical therapist.

All else is well, he's 11lb. 11oz 23" long! yay

Re: 8wk check up, torticollis

• jsmath- Have you been doing anything with her at home?  They have given us some exercises to try at home
  • jsmath   This is one thing that sucks about going back to work already, my dh took Levi to his checkup so I don't have much information right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • We haven't been diagnosed with torticollis, but we are doing physical therapy for a bad flat spot. He highly prefers to lie on one side of his head and it's getting stiffer. We do physical therapy for other things as well so it's all mixed in there. 
  • We are dealing with it. A physical therapist has been over twice to work with him and show me what stretches to do. We are seeing great improvement, and he no longer appears to favor one side. Hope it works as well for y'all!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• This is the main one for us, too. We also do more tummy time, and I try to get him to sleep on his tummy (while on my chest) with his head turned to the right, which is the hard side for him, so that it stretches while he sleeps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Yep, my LO has it.  Her pedi suggested PT last month but I never got the referral paperwork in the mail and I forgot about it.  She went to her 2 month appt today and while we agree she's getting better about not favoring one side as much, she still thinks it's a good idea.  I'll call tomorrow to make an appt.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• katykatykatyjsmath  Levi  favors his right side so we're on to "push" for the left.  I'm not convinced he needs physical therapy, I think we can do these exercises at home and re-evaluate at 4months... I'll decide in the next week or two.  I found a few good examples of the stretches on Utube... The pediatrician gave us a handout but the video with live, kicking babies is easier to view than a piece of paper.  Levi does not like the one where you point his chin to shoulder...
  • shira49shira49 member
    My daughter was diagnosed with torticollis when she was about 10 mo old, a result of being Twin A with her head jammed in my pelvis.  She is now 7 years old.  

She had physical therapy as part of the Early Intervention program until she was a little over a year old, with stretches to counteract the tight muscles.  The stretches did correct the basic torticollis, but the effects of the torticollis are still with her today.  She had physical and occupational therapy from when she was about 3 to 6 years old for strength issues arising from the torticollis, especially in her arms.  She also has balance issues, which may be from the torticollis throwing off her balance.

Just keep an eye out!  She is, by the way, VERY happy and healthy.
  • shira49 thank you for the information, Glad to her your dd is happy and healthy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"