July 2012 Moms

Not what I need right now!

Kellen switches daycare on Tues, which I'm already worried about. We went in yesterday to sign final documents and pay fees and I found out that they don't allow pacis in the 2 year old room, where he will be. K only needs his for nap and night time, but they don't even allow it for naps. It will also be his first time not napping in a crib and they only drink from open cups there (a skill he has yet to master). I'm glad he will be learning all this, but I am so worried about the adjustment period and this "no paci" thing is stressing me. We are going to Orlando this weekend so obvi I'm not going to take his paci while we are on vaca, so Tuesday, his first day at daycare, will also be his first nap without a paci. I predict it doesn't go too well.......

Ugh!

Re: Not what I need right now!

• lewispmlewispm member

I'm so glad to hear Tyler and Shaan had an easy time with it at daycare! That makes me little more hopeful! I'm wondering if we need to get rid of it at home starting Tuesday as well. I kind of want to, but I don't want to force too many changes at once.

• You may be surprised how well he adjusts. The other day we forgot Liam's paci at grandma's and he's only ever had this one wubbanub, so come bed time DH told him we had forgotten it and if he could go to sleep without it.  He seemed a little sad and I was ready to break out the emergency pacifier but he laid down and went to sleep no problem!  So we took that as an opportunity to wean him off of it. Now naps have been a different story. At home he has napped once successfully with a few minutes of crying (last weekend) but at my mom's he hasn't been napping in his crib. He's been napping on the couch for less than an hour.  He doesn't ask for the paci but I think he feels something is missing. (he's refused naps that way even when he had the pacifier so it may be unrelated - who knows)

So overall it's gone better than I thought for us, and it's been about a week. He will still ask for the pacifier at bed time sometimes but I tell him it went to a baby who needed a pacifier and that he doesn't need one anymore and he accepts that and goes to sleep fine.  We are going out of town next week, so I'm hoping it goes just as smoothly!

Good luck to you, I'm sure K will do just fine :)
  • Loading the player...
  • zpanjwani said:
    Shaan still gets a paci for naptime and bedtime at our house, but doesn't use one at all in daycare.  We used to pack one for him, but the daycare teachers told us they didn't offer it to him and he didn't seem to mind.  It's crazy how well toddlers adjust.  I'm sure he'll be fine.  Also, if Kellen sees other kids drinking from open cups, he'll be more apt to catch on as well.  I wouldn't worry too much.  Even if he has a rough few days, it will all buff out and he'll establish his new normal.

This. Will got a new teacher and within a few days she told me he wasn't using his pacifier or his racoon blanket for naps. I think that he knows he can coax me and H into giving in with it (actually, we've never even tried to have him forgo the paci) but daycare is different.

I'm sure Kellen will do great! Have fun in Orlando.

Eats childproof locks for breakfast...image

• I agree with wheelerc, in the new environment it may not be a huge deal especially if no kids have a paci. Hopefully he will adjust and if not you can speak with the teacher more about it and they could reach a compromise with you.
    When my LO switched rooms they no longer napped in cribs. I was terrified because she is a crappy napper in general and the I thought she would never go for the cot. She actually adjusted to the cot just fine and we even bought one for our home. Sometimes kids can surprise use at how well they adjust!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"