Houston Babies
Options

I should probably be looking for a pedi now, right?

I haven't at all.  Do I need to find someone who has privileges at Methodist since that is where I'll be delivering?

I know people ask for recommendations all the time...I guess I'm looking for one who is open to a spaced out vaccination schedule and is super-supportive of breastfeeding.  We are close to downtown.

Re: I should probably be looking for a pedi now, right?

• Options

Yes, I would start looking pretty soon.  And yes, you'll want to find a pedi that has priviledges at Methodist. 

Although if you fall in love with a pedi that doesn't go to Methodist, it's not the end of the world.  lil rrr can get checked out by a resident pedi at Methodist and they'll send the info to your pedi.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

When I started looking most would only meet with me when I was about 4-6 weeks from my due date.  It's good to find a pedi with priveleges at the hospital you deliver, however if they don't have them, the on call pedi for the hospital will check on your baby.

I love my pedi, Dr. Tarsy Dondlinger with Texas Childrens Piney Point.  She is off Fondren and Westhimer (across from Vargos).  A little far for you, but she is wonderful! I had a long talk with her about vaccines and while she is VERY pro vaccine, she is VERY open to spacing them out.  We are spacing them out and she's very supportive.  She's very upfront and honest with you, but respects your beliefs as well.  She's also very supportive about bf'ing.  She has alot of knowledge about it and many lactation consultant's contact info.  I absolutely love her.  My nephews go to her as well.

https://www.texaschildrenspediatrics.org/findadoctor/doctorbio.aspx?id=390

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the pedi.  I live close to that area and am starting the search now for our little one due in March. 
  • Options
    I would focus more on finding the pedi you want long term than worry about whether they have privileges... it's definitely nice or a bonus, but I wouldn't nix someone just because they don't.  I love our pedi, but another great pedi saw ds at the hospital, since ours doesn't go there.
  • Options
    thanks! In my brief search on bcbstx.com, I am not coming up with any pediatricians that have privileges at methodist as it is.
  • Options
    If you want to skip the stuff they normally do at the hospital (eye goop, vit K, or Hep shot), I think it would be helpful to have your own pedi there.
    - Jena
  • Options

imagejen5/03:
    If you want to skip the stuff they normally do at the hospital (eye goop, vit K, or Hep shot), I think it would be helpful to have your own pedi there.

ooh, good point. I am looking up some recommended doctors on my moms' group board and I have found at least one who has privs at Methodist. 

• Options

imagejen5/03:

This would definitely be a bonus, however our pedi did not have privileges at Meth and we still declined the eye gel and the Hep shot.  The on call pedi did not give us any hassles about it.

• Options
    our pedi does not have privileges at the hospital we delivered at...  We skipped all the stuff too....  I just told the nurse when we checked in and had her write it out on our paperwork..  You actally have to sign a concent form for the Hep shot and I refused...  I was more important to me to have a pedi we liked close to our house than privileges...  We just went to see him on day 3....
  • Options

even though our original pedi did have priv @ our hospital (women's) b/c she came from such a large practice we also saw 2 other Drs from that practice... so, i wouldn't worry as much about the priv as finding someone you like.

i cannot rec my pedi enough. in fact, a couple other nesties have switched to her recently :)

https://www.texaschildrenspediatrics.org/findadoctor/doctorbio.aspx?id=420

she is really wonderful and very respectful of parenting decisions vs medical advice. she has supported every decision we have made (i.e. cosleeping, alternative vax schedule, extended nursing) and uses caution when perscribing antibiotics or other meds... we <3 her!

• Options

You certainly could find someone on the list there, but it's not mandatory.  Rayskit recommended Michelle Shuman with TCP and we are very happy.  She's just west on I-10 and takes 10-15 minutes to get to.  She is very flexible given we are doing an alternative vaccination schedule (1 per month instead of 6 at a time) and couldn't be any sweeter.

https://www.texaschildrenspediatrics.org/findadoctor/doctorbio.aspx?id=420

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about pedi priveleges, I would more worry about finding the right doctor that is convenient for you.  I interviewed only two before I found a practice I was comfortable with (only blocks from my home with evening and Saturday hours).  Good luck!
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options
    oh, and i wanted to add that i was more concerned with having a pedi connected with TX Childrens for T's healthcare than where i get treated...
  • Options

imagerayskit10:
    oh, and i wanted to add that i was more concerned with having a pedi connected with TX Childrens for T's healthcare than where i get treated...

Ditto

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"