Washington Babies

:+:Bunch:+:

Hey Thanks!   I would appreciate all the dirty details =)   Nothing like freaking myself out more right before I get to do something =P 

Re: :+:Bunch:+:

• I paged her over- not sure about her holiday plans, so we'll see if she's around today.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks I appreciate it!! =)

• Loading the player...
  • I am around! Hold on and let me answer all your questions in this page, there were a lot and I also want to tell you my story.

• What if it hurts too bad and we can't finish? My Dr said if I was in too much pain and wanted to stop to just say so. We could attempt again after a few deep breaths or I could forget the procedure and just go home. I won't lie the procedure did hurt a little, it felt like all the times my baby would lie sideways and not be able to flip down. It hurt but the pain wasn't bad enough to stop them from doing it. My baby did flip, in under a minute but I could have stood the pain for a lot longer if needed. 

What if it just doesn't work?  My Dr had about the same success rate. I looked at the likely hood of it not working this way. If it doesn't work you are no worse off than if you hadn't tried the procedure at all.

What if it works and then just sends me straight into labor? This is what happened to me and I was completely un prepared for it. My dr didn't mention that this was a risk. My water broke 16 hours after the procedure, I was 36 weeks at the time and 0% effaced and not dilated at all, I never had contractions and my body was not prepared to go into labor, after pit contractions for 20 hours and only 4 cm dialiated I had a c-section. I can talk to you about what that was like if you want too.

What if there is a cord problem caused by the version?This risk is SOOOO small, and becuase you will be monitered by u/s durring the version HIGHLY unlikely to cause fetal harm if it does happen. If a cord problem were to arise my Dr would have sent me up for a c-section right then and there. An important thing to remeber is that since 1980's no DR in the USA has lost a baby due to a version.

What if it causes the baby distress and I have to get a C-section that day?  This happens in about .05% of cases nationally, ask your Dr what their % is but mine was less than that. He has been doing them for 15 years and only rushed one mom up for a c-section. He does around 3-5 a week. He also said that the one baby he rushed up ended up being fine in the 60 seconds it took to get her upstairs to the c-section room and they didn't need to do the c-section but did it anyway just to be extra safe.

What if it works but then he just flips back to a breech position before D-day and I end up with a C-section anyways? I can't really answer this, it is a chance you take. I ended up with a c-section and while it is NOT the way I wanted to give birth I have been able to come mostly to peace about it. I had wanted a med free vagianal birth so I was not happy about the c-section.

My full story of the version in my next post. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

• Wow thanks!!  You have actually made me feel a lot better!   It seems like all I get are horror stories and I can't find any actual/consistant facts and figures online.  Its good to know that the risks are so much lower than I was led to believe. Big Smile 

Thanks again for all your help!!  

• I had wanted and planned a very "crunchy" birth. I wanted to labor at home for as long as I could before going to the hospital, and then I planned on not getting any pain meds and vaginally having my baby. DH and I like to say that God likes to laugh at my plans in particular because things never work out my way, this was no excepton.

At 32 weeks we found out our baby was breech, and I cried. I didn't want the version or a c-section. I prayed a lot that he would turn on his own, after all I was breech till 35 weeks and turned on my own and my mom was born breech at 34 weeks, so there was hope.

I tried EVERYTHING people told me might work. Accupreasure, chropractic care, flips in the water, swimming, laying with my head below my hips on the ironing board proped up on the couch. You name it I tried it, and a bunch of times Riley tried to flip but couldn't. I visualized him fliping over and over and over again, but nothing worked.

The night before my version I didn't sleep well. I couldn't eat after midnight and because I was pg and thus hungrey all the time I woke up at 4 am starving. 

At 9 am we went into the DR. They monitered me on an NST machine and Riley looked great. He was doing well but they needed him to move a little more so the nurse put this buzzer to my belly. It didn't hurt at all just scared Riley into moving more. My Dr ended up needing to use this same buzzer durring the version and I am so glad I got to feel it before hand otherwise I might have tensed up. If your dr uses a buzzer ask to have it done on your hand before the procedure so you aren't scared.

With the NST over the DR came in and we checked fluid levels, mine were great. We also checked on cord position and where my placenta was, both looked good. They gave me the shot to relax my uterus and after 3 minutes I still didn't feel the heart pounding sensation they said I would. They decided to start the procedure and tiped me back so that my head was below my hips.

I had been hoping that DH could hold my hand through this but he couldn't, he stood to the side while the Dr and the nurse put thier hands on my belly and turned him. It did hurt but only as much as Riley trying to turn on his own. The Dr got him almost completly fliped but Riley's leg was stuck, they used the buzzer on him and he pulled it out and fliped the rest of the way!

First words out of my mouth were "Good Job Riley!" I had known he could flip and was right about something being stuck. At this same moment my heart began to race, the drug they had given me kicked into full effect AFTER the procedure! I was so happy that I didn't care. Riley and I were monitered again for about 20-30 minutes. After that we were let go, and told to go walk to help him settle into my pelvis.

16 hours later at 3:45 am my water broke. And two days after my version I gave birth to my little boy via c-section. It wasn't the way I wanted things to work out but he is here and healthy and that is what mattered most to me.

Funny thing about my labor and delivery, NOTHING went the way I wanted it till my c-section. Because he was breech I had thought alot about how I wanted the c-section to go if I needed it. I had a list of requests for the nurses and Dr, in the case of a c-section. I got EVERYTHING on my list durring my c-section. Riley wasn't ever taken out of the room, I didn't have my arms tied down, I breast feed with in 30 minutes and so much more. I didn't get the birth I wanted but I got the best c-section!

• I hope all of this helps! GL at the version and be sure to have bunch tell me how it went!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"