Pittsburgh Babies
Options

First ultrasound at 18 weeks?!

My doctors office just told me that I don't get an US until 18 weeks! Anyone else have to wait that long??

Re: First ultrasound at 18 weeks?!

• Options
    Not totally unheard of, but my docs ordered ultrasounds for dating and viability for both of my pregnancies at 10 and 11 weeks, respectively. I also think there's a window for the Nucal Translucency scan if you wish to go that route that is before 18 weeks. A lot can also be determined by your insurance. 18 weeks is usually the minimum gestational age for the anatomy scan.

my hero wears kevlar Pictures, Images and Photos

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    At my doctors office, your FIRST and ONLY ultrasound is between week 18-20 for the fetal anatomy scan UNLESS there is some kind of problem or complication that occurs.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is typical at our office too, however we chose to do the NT Scan (an additional cost) and my dr ordered a dating ultrasound so we ended up not having to wait.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    i'm with @munchkin421 I was to only get 1 around then unless something was wrong, which I had an issue last week at 32 weeks and had to get another one. They're expensive, so you can have more, but IMO I could use the money to buy diapers and wipes and things for the nursery instead of dropping a few hundred on an ultrasound. 
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    At my office I would get one in the first trimester and then the anatomy scan between weeks 18-20. There is also the NT scan as others have mentioned. It is between weeks 12-14, but I elected to do the cell-free DNA testing instead. It gives more definitive results, but you don't get an u/s. 
    TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • Options
    mc0113mc0113 member
    18-20 weeks is standard practice as long as you are not high risk. Just be patient, your time will come.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"