Pittsburgh Babies

Early ultrasound in pittsburgh?

Hi Ladies,

I just learned i'm 4 weeks pregnant and made a "pregnancy confirmation" visit on 5/30 at UPMC Women's Care Associates Passavant.  I read that I won't get an ultrasound until 20 weeks and that's insane to me - I'm already stressed out!  Does anyone know an obgyn practice that performs the u/s earlier or how much it would cost for an elective ultrasound?  Thank you!!

Re: Early ultrasound in pittsburgh?

• I think elective ones are usually around $50, but all they can do is show you the baby, not actually tell you how it's growing, if it looks healthy, etc. If you do the genetic screening there is an ultrasound as part of that, and it's usually around 12 weeks.
  • You could request an ultrasound script for dating and viability (usually performed at 8-10 weeks and prior to genetic screening, Nucal translucency). Call your insurance to see if/what they cover.

my hero wears kevlar Pictures, Images and Photos

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • the first and only ultrasound i was to get was around 18 weeks for the gender screening, and that's standard at most practices. like others said, you can do some of the genetic testing earlier to get the ultrasound, but your insurance may or may not cover anything so you will be paying out of pocket. don't stress out about not having a lot of ultrasounds! you'll hear the heartbeat at your appointments and you will be able to feel the baby move eventually so you know everything is ok. Like someone else said, you can do the elective ones at random places, but they can't tell you anything about how the baby is growing or doing, you'll just be able to see them, and IMHO it's a waste of money. but like liz said, call your insurance to see what they cover. I know the ultrasound I got at my office was a few hundred dollars, most of what my insurance covered. 
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • mc0113mc0113 member
    Like others said an ultrasound between 18-20 weeks is standard if you are not a high risk candidate. They will be able to confirm your pregnancy and hear the heartbeat all without ultrasound until then. I'd just be patient and thankful to (hopefully) not be high risk.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"