3rd Trimester
Options

How soon is too soon to take a newborn out in public?

Right now, I'm scheduled to be induced between my 39-40 week of pregnancy for medical reasons.  That would be the 18-25 of June.  My husband's work has a huge lake party the 28th that he wants to attend unless I'm overwhelmed and need help with our firstborn (our families might come, depending on when she arrives and their work schedules - they live 10 hours away).

My question is, and please don't judge me because I've never been a mother before, is that too soon to take a newborn out in public?  I don't know much about germs/diseases and other people handling her so please fill me in.  Is it dangerous to take her out this young?  I know I'm going to be tired, cranky, sore and bleeding, but it's only for a day. She can sleep/breastfeed/poop at the lake house just as much as she can in my house, right? What am I missing?

Re: How soon is too soon to take a newborn out in public?

• Options
    It's totally up to you and your comfort level. I took dd out in public (Target) the day or so after I was released from the hospital. It was not flu season, I didn't let any stranger touch her, I kept her close/covered, it was fine. I wouldn't fully commit to a lake house day because you may not feel up to it, but play it by ear and if you are feeling fine go for it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went out with DS grocery shopping when he was a few days old. I took him to a college football game when he was 15 days. I wore him in a moby wrap the entire time and had no issues. It depends on your comfort level.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My pediatrician says not to take babies out anywhere for the first two months, since they're not yet vaccinated. Everyone I tell this to looks at me like I'm insane, and the responses I've seen posted here would indicate that this IS really strict and excessive… but I will have to figure out if I'm comfortable ignoring my pediatrician's advice. 

• Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I never took any of my babies out until they were at least 2 months old.  Granted I did allow people to come to our house and visit but as for going out and about no.  It's just my personal opinion that its too young prior to that and I prefer a establish an immune system not to mention I prefer to keep those early weeks bonding private to our immeidate family/friends only.
  • Options
    hfooterhfooter member
    enjaye316 said:

My pediatrician says not to take babies out anywhere for the first two months, since they're not yet vaccinated. Everyone I tell this to looks at me like I'm insane, and the responses I've seen posted here would indicate that this IS really strict and excessive… but I will have to figure out if I'm comfortable ignoring my pediatrician's advice. 

Mine said the exact same thing so I will be trying to do this. However, he was only speaking to public places like the zoo, stores, restaurants etc. and said taking him to friends and families houses that do vaccinate should be fine.

So I personally wouldn't be going to the event, but that is because I am really anal about the whole non-vax issue. Especially since Oregon has the highest rate of non-vaxers.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I took my ds out at 1 week old. I had to do my taxes. They wouldn't give me an exception although I had just had a baby. We ended up hanging out at the mall and at 2 weeks went to the mall again. I started getting strange looks from people bc I had a newborn out but I didn't see the big deal. The big deal is taking a newborn around family. They want to hold and kiss the baby and that's when germs really spread. My ds got sick after I took him to the first big family gathering and he was about 2 months old.
  • Options
    SpeshulSpeshul member
    I went out on walks, but not all day. I probably wouldn't want a lot of people(family included) touching my newborn though. 

• Options
    It's up to you--we took LO outside with us to restaurants, shopping etc at a few days but I wouldn't let a crowd hold them. They are very vulnerable at that age. If you wear them people won't usually try to touch though. I would play it by ear and realize you may not want to go to a party at 3-10 days PP. You may still feel exhausted. Especially if you have a C-section. I gave birth on a Tuesday and left the hospital on Thursday. On Saturday I broke down crying because I was hungry and I didn't think I could walk to the restaurant that was a block away. When I stood up and walked around I just felt fatigued. And honestly... You may not want to go to a big party when you're still sitting down so gingerly it's broadcasting to everybody nearby that your vagina is torn. Childbirth is very physically taxing, and newborns are too! I wouldn't make any concrete plans.
    Totally this.  If you are nursing, you might still be figuring it out and that would be a pita in public.  Plus the sessions could be long.  Also, I would avoid if it is too hot.  I'd be nervous that someone would want to hold baby and it would be awkward if it is someone your Dh works with.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Options
    If you are bf, you give your lo your antibodies. I would be more concerned about heat/your soreness more so than the baby's age. You can always tell people no to touching. I had my hs reunion a week after dd was born and I was way too sore to sit even then. And I had a vaginal birth. I couldn't imagine moving around after a c section.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Ditto all the responses, except the stay home for 2 months one. That's NMS. But an all day lake house party may be too much for YOU. FYI if your a FTM & planning to nurse, the first 1-2 weeks super sucks on the "feels good" level, & ur LOs gonna want to nurse A LOT at first. So just play it by ear, no commitment. Sounds fun tho, I'd hate to miss it!
  • Options
    Honestly, it's up to you. Just don't do anything you aren't comfortable with or you don't think you can handle or something you would have to worry about at the time.

The day we took DS home from the hospital after his 11 day stint in NICU, we went straight to the pet store.
    We were in 2 different cars and as soon as he got fussy (read: hungry) I left in one car and DH stayed to finish the errand and pick up dinner.

We were also out all the time after that with all of his followup doctor appts. I just kept him covered with a couple blankets and kept the canopy up on his carseat. 

ZBC 11/2012 & SNC 7/2014

bridemaids angry penis annie

• Options
    I am having a c section on June 18.  She is breech.  I will have to take it easy for 2 weeks but once I feel better I plan on taking her out and taking walks.  I will have her in a Moby or Ergobaby for awhile so people dont try to touch or all the time.  Having the summer off I dont want to be cooped up in the house.  Bad enough I am off from work the next 3 weeks due to hour commute to work, really bruised rib or cracked and feet swollen and carpal tunnel.  Going to be a long time if I cant go out with her as soon as I can!!! 

You will know what you can handle and feel up to doing.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    +RBL++RBL+ member
    Personally, I would go.  I would not be passing my baby around to everyone, but I don't feel I need to stay cooped up in the house either.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For those planning on staying home for two months do you have older children? How do you plan on keeping them at home for 2 months? My toddler would be insane if I kept him in for that long. (I'm on mobile so I can't see siggies)

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    kara222kara222 member

Thanks for the responses!  We live in Iowa so it shouldn't be too hot, and it's at a friend's house so I fully plan on staying inside as much as possible.  :)  Great idea about wearing her - will def do!  And I won't pass her around and let other people touch her. 

The only thing I'm worried about is myself (I know, selfish!).  After reading these posts it sounds like there's a good chance I'll be sore, tired, and stressed!  And I do plan on breastfeeding so we'll see how that goes! :/  

I think if I'm feeling up to it we'll go for a little bit and take it an hour at a time.  My husband will understand if I want to leave instead of staying the full day and will be supportive.

• Options
    kara222kara222 member
    Darbie914 said:
    kara222 said:

Thanks for the responses!  We live in Iowa so it shouldn't be too hot, and it's at a friend's house so I fully plan on staying inside as much as possible.  :)  Great idea about wearing her - will def do!  And I won't pass her around and let other people touch her. 

The only thing I'm worried about is myself (I know, selfish!).  After reading these posts it sounds like there's a good chance I'll be sore, tired, and stressed!  And I do plan on breastfeeding so we'll see how that goes! :/  

I think if I'm feeling up to it we'll go for a little bit and take it an hour at a time.  My husband will understand if I want to leave instead of staying the full day and will be supportive.

It is absolutely NOT selfish to be thinking about yourself at a time like this.  You will have just given birth - your body went through all kinds of crazy and you need time to heal and rest.  You are allowed to be selfish at this point.  Seriously, you and your baby come first and this is a time where you can be as selfish as you want regarding your comfort. Thanks! I'll re-read this when I need to remember it.
  • Options
    Pepper6Pepper6 member
    For the baby, I would wear her as much as possible in order to limit the amount of contact with other people.  If you do let anyone hold her (which it's 100% okay to tell people "no" if they ask), make sure they wash their hands beforehand.  Stay inside as much as possible so she's not exposed to the elements (sun, pollen, etc).

However, the main concern with this event, would be how YOU are feeling.  Childbirth is a traumatic experience for your body, and you absolutely need time to recover physically.  With only 3-7 days to recuperate, it's very likely that you will not feel up to going.  You will be swollen down there, which makes walking/sitting painful, you will be bleeding, going to the bathroom is a major ordeal (you need a peri bottle, ice pads, dermoplast spray, etc...just to pee).  Not to mention that you'll be getting very little sleep, learning how to breastfeed, etc.

Basically, from the baby's perspective, as long as she's fed, changed, and can sleep, she'll be fine.  But from your perspective, going to a fairly big social event only days after childbirth sounds like an absolute nightmare...  Depending on your birth experience, you can leave your RSVP as a maybe, but there's no way I would commit to going, even for an hour or two.
  • Options
    For those planning on staying home for two months do you have older children? How do you plan on keeping them at home for 2 months? My toddler would be insane if I kept him in for that long. (I'm on mobile so I can't see siggies)
    I'm debating the "staying at home for 2 months", and have a 2.5-year-old son. My husband works in the school system, so he's off for the two months of summer anyway, and can take my older son out on excursions and to the playground. I don't love the idea of "mom and baby at home, dad and toddler out and about all summer" — would much rather do things as a family — which is why I'm questioning my pediatrician's advice to not take the baby ANYWHERE for 2 months. (FWIW, I followed the advice with DS, and I almost went out of my mind.) 

• Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited May 2014
    I think going to run to do things is fine but a few days after returning home is probably going to seem daunting for a FTM. I'm not talking about every FTM but most are overwhelmed. You just gave birth, you're scared, you're overwhelmed and sleep will become an issue (I didn't sleep the first few nights home because I kept checking on him). I think if you have family over also it will just add to stress.

For example by BFF just had her first. I went on day 6 to do her newborn session. Her BIL and SIL and two kids came over and her mom was already there helping. It made my friend feel panicked and emotional. She just had nerves worked up from delivery. She kept telling me I just want them to leave already. I just want to be alone now... Everyone keeps visiting and stopping by...

That is her experience but I think it is pretty typical. Personally I would just wait and see how you feel and tell the party throwers not to hold their breath but you will try to come.
  • Options
    SkeemerSkeemer member
    We took DS to church when he was 2 or 3 weeks old. To be honest I didn't feel like getting out before then very much. I was healing & needed sleep badly. You may find that your baby is ready but you aren't. Don't beat yourself up either way you decide. A day at the lake sounds fun. :)

• Options
    We were out on week 2. My toddler has activities & it seemed unfair to keep her cooped up. I wore DS everywhere & we all washed our hands frequently.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"