Baby Showers

Save the dates

I'm sorry if I'm failing with the search function to find a previous answer to this question.

My family lives in another state and my aunts have generously offered to throw me a baby shower on a weekend in the early fall when I will be back in that state visiting. I have friends who will also be there from out of state that weekend for another friends wedding.

My aunt asked me if she should send out save the dates because several guests are from out of town and presumably their travel arrangements may be effected if they want to come to the shower and wedding.

I've never heard of save the dates for a shower, but it sorta makes sense to me in this situation. What do think?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Save the dates

• VORVOR member
    I wouldn't have her send save the dates for a shower.  But if you want to give your friend's a heads up that your aunt is throwing a shower, send them an email or give them a call.  But it's a baby shower, not a wedding.  A lot of people won't change their travel plans just for a baby shower. 
    Ditto all of this.
  • Yeah that's generally what I thought too. I wasn't sure if it would be rude for me to call my friends to tell them about the shower though.

I don't think anyone would change their plans for a shower but I also don't think they've made their plans yet. I'd want to know if one of my friends was having a shower the same weekend Id be in town for another reason so I could make sure my flights allowed for me to go to both events.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't have her send save the dates for a shower.  But if you want to give your friend's a heads up that your aunt is throwing a shower, send them an email or give them a call.  But it's a baby shower, not a wedding.  A lot of people won't change their travel plans just for a baby shower. 
    I would agree that STD are over the top; however, I disagree that no one will change their travel plans for a shower.  As long I knew in advance -- and it was a good friend of mine -- I would try my best to arrange my travels plans to be at the shower since I was going to in town that weekend anyways.  I would definitely shoot people who are out of town a quick heads-up or FYI email or phone call letting them know.  
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• My shower is also out of state and I have a few friends that I knew would want to be there, but needed extra notice. I simply just told them I was coming to MA as my mom was throwing a shower. They asked when it was, so I informed them and that did the trick. I didn't make special calls, just brought up my travel plans when we regularly talked.
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    Save the dates for a shower are way over the top. If there are out-of-towners who she knows will want to attend and who need to make travel arrangements, she could just call or email them to give them an informal heads up about the date and then send actual invitations when it is time. (For my shower, I know my sister told one of my close out-of-state cousins as soon as she set the date because that cousin wanted to attend and needed more than a month's notice.)
  • No. :|

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm in the no camp. Just casually mention it to your friends as an FYI.

• Thanks everyone!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Jags8Jags8 member

I wouldn't have her send save the dates for a shower.  But if you want to give your friend's a heads up that your aunt is throwing a shower, send them an email or give them a call.  But it's a baby shower, not a wedding.  A lot of people won't change their travel plans just for a baby shower. 

This
  • I agree STDs are over the top.  I would however give the out of town guests an informal heads-up if possible.  While most people probably wouldn't fly in for a baby shower they may have plans to visit anyway and would plan their trip for that time.  Some out of towners would view this as a nice opportunity to see everyone they were planning to see at once.  A little different, but my Aunt has flown in for DD's 1st, 3rd, and 4th (when it happens) birthday party, not because her birthday is that big of a deal, but because it's her opportunity to see people she might not see otherwise.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"