Baby Showers
Options

How far in advance do you set the RSVP date?

My mom is planning my shower and the venue that she is planning on having it needs a final head count two weeks before the shower, this seemed odd to me. I have received shower invites where the RSVP date was two weeks before the shower, but even if that was the case my mom would not have a finalized head count to submit that day. My Mom's plan was to mail invites out 3 weeks before the shower, but if the RSVP is two or more weeks before does this really give guests enough time?
Just a disclaimer, my mom is doing the planning but she asked me if this was normal about the RSVP and I honestly don't know so I am asking you all.
Thanks!

Re: How far in advance do you set the RSVP date?

• Options
    This is normal for my area. Most invites are sent out 4-6 weeks prior and the RSVP date is always two weeks before.
    I think that sending out invites 3 weeks before an event especially a formal event is not enough notice.
  • Options
    I would send the invites out at LEAST 4 weeks ahead, probably 5, and ask for an RSVP 2.5 weeks out.  Just to give herself a couple days to follow up w/ people who don't RSVP.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your input. @Bliss+Berry‌ I agree 6 weeks is a little much. After reading these and talking with my mom I think she is going to mail invites out so they are received 4.5 weeks before the shower which would give guests 2 weeks notice before the RSVP date and would have the RSVP 2.5 weeks before the shower, this would give her a few days to call people if need be before her head count is due. Does that sound reasonable?
  • Options
    ccamccam member
    edited May 2014
    I would send the invites out at LEAST 4 weeks ahead, probably 5, and ask for an RSVP 2.5 weeks out.  Just to give herself a couple days to follow up w/ people who don't RSVP.

This.  6 weeks is not excessive - 4-6 weeks is the norm around here.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    ccamccam member

This.  6 weeks is not excessive - 4-6 weeks is the norm around here.
    IMO it just seems to be part of the typical fallout if people placing far too much importance on baby showers. It's not like a wedding or graduation that are life events that you (the general you) would travel or need to alter your schedule for. Sending save the dates or invitations 6 weeks in advance is ridiculous. Furthermore, even in this day and age when few people seem to RSVP, do you really need more than 2 weeks to do it? How long do people really need to look at their schedule and see if they're available? Even if you had to arrange for a sitter or accomodate your witk schedule, does it really take more than a week to figure it out? No.

It was just my opinion, that's all.  6 weeks isn't out of the norm in my circle of friends and family.  We go to everything and people do travel out of state so it's nice to have some notice. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member
    Usually I have seen two weeks if it was at a restaurant and one week if it was at someone's house.
  • Options
    I'd say two weeks is plenty.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"