2nd Trimester
Options

Crib bedding

tacosandtumstacosandtums member
edited May 2014 in 2nd Trimester
BTDT moms: what's the deal with these expensive crib bedding sets? What do I actually need?

I want to start picking a theme/color scheme for baby girl's nursery and bedding seems like a good place to start, but it's so confusing.

From my understanding babies stay in the sleep sacks for awhile anyway so is anything other than a few sheets a waste of money? Should I still buy a comforter for decoration? What about bumpers? Are they totally no-no?

Signed, overwhelmed FTM

Re: Crib bedding

• Options
    I'm a first time mom too... from what I've gathered so far... for the first bit you will need only crib fitted sheets. Newborns often are swaddled when they sleep. So you wouldn't need any blankets or bumpers.
    Generally the rule of thumb is if you decide to use bumpers they shouldn't be used until the baby is able to fully roll over and move. This way if they end up against the bumpers and unable to breathe since they are fully able to move they would be able to move away.
    Most people don't even use bumpers for that reason not wanting to have that constant fear of their LO pressed up against one and can't breathe.
    The crib blanket (the ones that come with the bedding sets) most often times you wouldn't use it until your LO is much older at least a year or so. Since it's quite thick. Most ppl use the sleep sacks or they would use a lighter blanket.
    This is what I've gathered so far. But I'm sure any experienced mom's out there may have more to add or say!
    Congratulations on your LO! Its exciting isn't it!
  • Options
    @tbarker14‌ thanks! Yes it is so exciting. When are you due?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're just using a crib sheet for now. I don't see the point in spending so much on a set.
  • Options

All I used was a bedskirt and a few fitted sheets. Bumpers and comforters are not recommended and I'm not one to buy a comforter just for decoration. Babies require plenty of stuff without adding useless stuff on top of it. 

Yep, this. My DD is almost 20 months old and still uses a sleep sack when it's cool enough and nothing when it's hot. So even at this age I have no use for a comforter.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    I just got two mattress pads and three sheets.  I got a ton of blankets as shower gifts, so I didn't need to buy any extra and certainly didn't need a comfortor.  Also, I didn't use blankets with DS in his bed until he was over a year (I would have started at a year, but it was still warm then and he didn't really need one). Like pp, we used swaddle blankets and sleep sacks when it was cold.  I didn't have theme for our nursery, so I didn't feel the need to waste money on a bedding set (heck, DS didn't even have a nursery until he was 9 months old). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We had a bumper on for DD, however she used to play with it, pulling it over her face, so we had to get rid out. A nice decoration but not safe. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think the sets are a waste of money. All you need at first are fitted sheets and possibly a breathable bumper (which the sets don't come with). 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options

I am also a FTM and thought the bedding sets were a HUGE waste of money.  However I love decorating, so I went to the fabric store and purchased some felt dinosaur fabric and made one of those "no sew tie blankets" to drape over the crib for decoration.  I also bought coordinating fabric for curtains, and to recover the cushions on the rocking chair we picked up at a yard sale!  I also found a mesh (breathable) bumper at a "Just between Friends" consignment sale that I can use later if I want, was only $5 so if I don't use it no biggie.

Point being...if you are at all crafty or have someone in your family who can sew the fabric stores have a much greater variety and are much cheaper.

• Options
    Hey I'm due September 16th of this year. Its quite exciting.
    I've gotten 2 crib sets already! So I figure I was just going to use the blanket when the LO is much older...
    I'm also in canada so things are different up here too.
    I totally forgot about the crib skirt! I guess it depends on the type of crib you have too... I haven't done any shopping yet... both my DH and I will be shopping for baby gear/furniture all in June... so quite excited to start then! I too have no theme for our nursery.
  • Options

I only saw one person mention the waterproof mattress pads. Get 2 of those so if there's a diaper incident you can keep the mattress clean and just throw the pad and fitted sheet in the washer. No blankets until they're older and even now at 18 months my DD only has a light blanket that she never keeps on anyway.

Side Note - I chose to get breathable bumpers and have had them on side day 1 but there's no need for anything like that until you have issues with legs or arms getting stuck in the slats and depending on your LO you might not even have this issue.

• Options
    We registered on Amazon and all the crib bedding sets are so expensive or not really my taste, or don't fit with the rest of the theme in the nursery we've established. So I ended up just putting a fitted sheet on the registry for now!

Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• Options
    Cat&SCat&S member
    We're just doing fitted sheets, waterproof pads, and a crib skirt. No bedding sets.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• Options
    I bought a cute bedding set for DS because it was on clearance, and I wanted to use the jungle-themed quilt that came with it as a wall-hanging. I also repurposed the crib bumpers as window valances. But the only things in the set that we actually used for his bed were the sheet and the dust ruffle. I think the sets are nice if you want to reuse the other stuff in there as decorations, but I wouldn't buy a set otherwise. 
  • Options
    We have always used fitted sheets (2 that are rotated) and a crib skirt. My son slept in a cosleeper for the first 6 months and I just used pillow cases for sheets. We used sleep sacks for quite a while and the only blankets we have ever used are the A&A muslin blankets, they're perfect for a warm climate.
  • Options

I only saw one person mention the waterproof mattress pads. Get 2 of those so if there's a diaper incident you can keep the mattress clean and just throw the pad and fitted sheet in the washer. No blankets until they're older and even now at 18 months my DD only has a light blanket that she never keeps on anyway.

I layered mine waterproof pad, plain fitted sheet, waterproof pad, pretty matching fitted sheet. This was if there was ever a MOTN accident, I could just pull off the top layers and not have to change the sheets in the MOTN. Personally, I've never had to use the bottom layer, but it's there if I need it.

This is so smart, I'm going to have to remember to do this.
  • Options
    I refuse to buy or register for s full breeding set because you cannot use 80%+ of what comes with it. Instead we are picking out three specific that we will need/want such as the fitted sheets.
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options

Just crib sheets.  DS only started sleeping with a blanket at ~2 years old.

We used breathable (mesh) bumpers because DS often got his legs caught in the crib slats.  Waterproof mattress cover added an extra layer of cushion and protection for occasional messes.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"