Preemies
Options

Who can go in the NICU?

I'm just curious. If we have our baby that early and he has to be in the NICU can only my husband and I go into see him? Obviously I'm not wanting to parade people through there, but my parents are out of state and my mom would like to come. I know you have to be very healthy and with a flu shot. I'm also sure all hospitals are different but just wanted a general idea. Thanks!

Re: Who can go in the NICU?

• Options
    At our NICU, anyone over the age of 14 can go as long as they were accompanied by one of the parents. Only 2 people were allowed in at a time.
  • Options

imageSBMBride406:
    At our NICU, anyone over the age of 14 can go as long as they were accompanied by one of the parents. Only 2 people were allowed in at a time.

That.

We also had a list of 4 people who were authorized to be there without DH or I... it was my sister, our moms and a good friend who lives close to the NICU (we lived 40 miles away)

We also authorized our family members to be given his medical info, so they could ask questions... standard policy is not to tell non-parents *anything* (My poor sister called me, so upset that they wouldn't tell her if he'd been pooping! LOL)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same here... our NICU would allow anyone over age 12 as long as they were healthy to go in with either me or DH.  We were also allowed to give permission for the grandparents to go on their own at certain times of the day.  This was very helpful because they could take turns going up there in the evenings and DH and I wouldn't feel as guilty about staying home to rest.
    1/8/12 Confection Shrug Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We had 8 people, and those 8 could never change the whole time they were in the NICU. So Dh and I, our parents, step parent and my SIL.
  • Options
    We could have 4 people on our list other than DH and I .  Once a name was on the list it couldn't be changed.  And only 2 people at a time at the bedside.  I have heard of NICU's that "lock-down" during RSV season and only allow parents in, but ours wasn't like that. 
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options

Ours was the same as Aunties.

There were no visiting hours- open 24/7. we could come and go as we pleased as could grandparents. Anyone else had to be accompanied by a parent and no more than 2 people of any combo at a time.

Our NICU had stricter rules during RSV season but we went home before that started so I'm not sure what they were exactly.

• Options

In our NICU the parents and both sets of grandparents were given bracelets. There could be two in at a time we could bring in guests (those without bracelets) but they had to be with DH or myself. We did not have any kids visit but other families did, the child had to have their temp taken before they could come in.

Best of Luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

yep anyone over 12 here with an adult. 2 ppl at a time. and we could put ppl on a list. we didnt put anyone on the list cuz we didnt want our parents to go in when ever they wanted too. long story.

BTW: how are you feelin Lindsay?

• Options

At our hospital anyone except children could come in when accompanied by a parent. We had a lot of visitors. None of them touched or held ds, they just looked at him through the isolette. We were also able to provide 4 names of people who could visit him at any time, without us being present. We put both of our parents on that list and they would go in/out as they choose.

Oh...and they told us it was two people at a time but we often had many more than that once he moved to the step-down unit. They never said a word as long as we kept the curtain closed and kept our voices down.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

At our NICU, the parents have unlimited 24-hour access and the grandparents can too - if the parents sign a consent form. Other visitors have to be accompanied by a parent. No children at all under the age of (12 or 14, I can't remember) unless they are siblings. Maximum of 3 visitors at any given time, including parents and grandparents.

Maybe I was being selfish, but I didn't sign the consent form for my parents and in-laws to be able to come and go as they pleased, even though they live close by. I didn't even tell them about the consent form and said they just had to wait to be there with one of us. I was afraid of them taking him out of his incubator all the time to hold him. We were limited in how much he could be out and wanted to savor that time.

• Options
    Our NICU permitted two people at a time, but no children.  An exception was made for siblings, who were permitted to look through the windows of the NICU foyer.  One of the two people had to be a parent.  I don't remember them asking about the flu shot, though.  I know my DH didn't have one.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"