High-Risk Pregnancy

Intolerant/Allergic to Magnesium Sulfate?

Hi all! This is also my intro…

With my first pregnancy I developed GD, HBP and postpartum Pre-E despite having no risk factors. I am now 12 weeks along with baby #2 (yay!). My HBP stuck around after my first pregnancy and is now chronic. I am on Labetelol 2x a day to control it. I am having much more monitoring, plus seeing an MFM as a high risk patient.

My postpartum Pre-E was treated with a 24 magnesium sulfate drip which had to be turned off after 16 hours because I apparently have an intolerance (loss of reflexes, vision, muscle control, etc.)

Obviously, I am going to explore other treatment options with my OB/MFM should I develop Pre-E again, but just wanted to see if anyone here has experience with this issue? How did they treat your Pre-E without mag?
dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
  • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
  • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
  • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

Re: Intolerant/Allergic to Magnesium Sulfate?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • From the limited discussions I've had so far with my MFM and OB, it's clear that the magnesium, unfortunately, did cause these symptoms (the loss of reflexes is a clear and dangerous sign, apparently) as a result of toxicity from the magnesium. 

Don't get me wrong, the Pre-E made me feel crappy, too! But unfortunately this magnesium intolerance goes above and beyond the typical nausea and hot flashes that supposedly accompany typical mag exposure. I even had to be catheterized because I could not sit up to get out of bed for the bathroom after 5 hours on it. Again, this was 5 days after the birth of my daughter as I had late onset. I wouldn't wish it on anyone! 

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p

TTC #2

• Loading the player...
  • This is my first pregnancy, so I don't have any experience. When I was doing research on preeclampsia though, I read that if magnesium sulfate is contraindicated, other drugs like phenytoin and benzodiazepines can be used. They don't work as well and aren't typically used but they are options if needed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary Ticker
  • @MamaPharmD - thank you! I'll add these options to my discussion questions for my next appt.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p

TTC #2

• redaero said:
    This is my first pregnancy, so I don't have any experience. When I was doing research on preeclampsia though, I read that if magnesium sulfate is contraindicated, other drugs like phenytoin and benzodiazepines can be used. They don't work as well and aren't typically used but they are options if needed.
    Just my 2 cents, but I've never seen either if these drugs used with preeclampsia in my work at the hospital. Or in pregnancy at all for that matter. If mom is having seizures, she needs to be delivered as soon as stabilized, not started on some other anti-convulsant.
    Thanks for the insight! Like I said, this is my first pregnancy so no experience with any of this yet. It's only what I've read in literature searches as alternatives for anticonvulsant prophylaxis.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary Ticker
  • redaero said:
    What you experienced sounds like magnesium toxicity, not an allergy or particular intolerance. Your nurses should be watching carefully for exactly the kind of signs you describe. It happens when you simply get too much in your system. The typical dose is 2g per hour. If you ever need mag again, remind your doctors you got toxic on it last time, and ask if they will start you at 1g per hour instead. They may also want to check your serum levels more frequently while you're on it. Good luck! Hopefully you won't need it. :)
    Agreed wholeheartedly! Not a ton of info out there that I've found, but mag toxicity seems to be the exact issue. I will discuss a lower dose with my OB, although I'm still holding out hope to avoid another situation with Pre-E altogether, here;'s hoping! Thanks for the advice :)

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p

TTC #2

• redaero said:
    This is my first pregnancy, so I don't have any experience. When I was doing research on preeclampsia though, I read that if magnesium sulfate is contraindicated, other drugs like phenytoin and benzodiazepines can be used. They don't work as well and aren't typically used but they are options if needed.
    Just my 2 cents, but I've never seen either if these drugs used with preeclampsia in my work at the hospital. Or in pregnancy at all for that matter. If mom is having seizures, she needs to be delivered as soon as stabilized, not started on some other anti-convulsant.
    The problem, in my particular case, is that I only developed Pre-E a few days after my daughter was delivered, so, thank goodness, baby was not in danger and the only priority was avoiding Eclampsia.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p

TTC #2

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"