1st Trimester
Options

Deep Tissue Massage during Pregnancy (1st tri)

I've been researching and reading conflicting articles on receiving a deep tissue massage during your first trimester. I would like any medical opinions that are out there. What did your doctor tell you? 

I'm reading that it's a good idea,and that the only thing your therapist will NOT do during a first tri massage is to not massage the abdominal/pelvic area.

What is your experience with trying to get a massage during your first tri? I'm reading that some women were refused by the spa/therapist. (liability issues, I assume.) 

Thank you!! 

Re: Deep Tissue Massage during Pregnancy (1st tri)

• Options
    My massage therapist won't see anyone in the first tri.  Luckily, my husband also goes to her, so I just sent him in my place since we got our BFP just a couple days before an appointment.  I am so looking forward to a massage in September!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Not a medical opinion by any means, but there are points around the ankles/feet that should be avoided too.  I learned that from my acupuncturist while cycling for IVF.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a massage therapist.  I massage women during their first trimester, as do other prenatal therapists at my place of employment.  If you are already classified as high risk, you might be turned away, or if your doctor says it isn't safe to receive massage.  If you want a massage call around and see where you could get one, because yes some places won't massage during the first trimester.  Some require a doctor's note.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I used to work in a massage clinic and the MT's would do prenatal massages, not deep tissue, but only with a doctor's note. HTH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. 
  • Options
    You'd be hard pressed to find a massage therapist that would do a massage while you're in the 1st tri. 2nd and 3rd tri are fine and if the person is a licensed prenatal massage therapist, he/she will know the pressure points to avoid.
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I see a massage therapist who is licensed in medical massage as well as prenatal massage. People only come to this office if they've been recommended to get massages for medical reasons. I've been seeing my massage therapist since January (months before our BFP) to treat migraines.

I told her about my pregnancy immediately when I found out. I know her, I know her training. She knows me and my body and she knows what she is doing--what to avoid. I still see her every two weeks.

When I told her about our pregnancy she said that she usually backs off the pressure during 1st and avoids pressure points (reflexology) on the hands and feet. They also stay away from abdominal massage. 

With all this said, if I didn't already have a standing relationship with a massage therapist I trust, I wouldn't be continuing treatment. I would not, for example, get a massage at a spa or a Massage Envy, just because I felt like I wanted to relax or pamper myself. If I were not already a regular massage client, I'd be holding off until after 1st trimester.

If you need massage for a medical condition, then find someone you can trust. If I don't get regular treatments to keep my migraines at bay, I'd have a migraine for 9 months. To me, massage is a better option than the alternative--a class D drug that will cause birth defects in my baby. You have to weigh the benefits and risks. If you don't need massage for medical reasons, then I'd say try to hold off until after 1st tri. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My massage therapist is trained in prenatal massage. She will give me a massage throughout my pregnancy because she is trained to avoid certain areas that are problematic. I have an appointment with her on Wednesday.
  • Options

I have been seeing a massage therapist for years. She said in the first trimester there are several pressure points they must avoid completely and it makes it hard for any massage to be enjoyable as they are so limited.  She said after week 14 there is more you can do without harm to you or the baby.  She also requires me to present her with a note from my doctor clearing me for prenatal massage and to sign and additional waiver.  I will be asking for this note at my next appointment later this month! 

Most large massage practices such as massa.ge en.vy will not see you until 14 weeks and require a doctors note to put on file and normally require frequent clearance from your doctor as you progress.  This is more for a waiver of liability on their part. 

I would definitely speak with your doctor before doing any chiropractic or massage therapy just to be on the safe side.  If they say it is totally fine in a prenatal setting then ask for a doctors note so you don't have to make a phone call asking later.

M & M
    06/12 - BFP!!!!
    Beta #1 15dpo - 256
    Beta #2 18dpo - 1097
    6wk U/S on 07/02 ~ TWINS!!!
    EDD 02/21/13
    09/10/12 Found out it's two Boys!!!! Sam and Jake
    Jacob and Samuel born 1/29/13 at 36 weeks. photo F489900B-BB44-4C44-ACD1-ABB73509E3B2-9032-000005E7AE7EF53E.jpg Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I had a chriopractic appt this morning and told my Dr. and his LMT that I was 6 weeks pregnant. He said he can continue my treatment up to 36 weeks without any problem and that it won't negatively impact the baby to adjust. There are ways to make it more comfortable and assist with reduced mobility.

You asked about massage though, I have a massage before my adjustments for 45-60 mins. They have the pregnancy pillows and other things to assist and keep me comfortable. I think if your doctor says you can have massages, it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure anyone treating you knows you're pregnant and how far along. Don't assume they remember with each new appt either. Be sure to say, "I'm 15 weeks along now," so they are reminded. Also make sure your massage therapist knows the pressure points that trigger labor, like in your ankles. They have to stay away from these places to not risk causing preterm labor when you're in the 3rd Trimester.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am a massage therapist also. And I wld never massage anyone in there first trimester. And during 2nd and 3rd trimesters u do have to be careful of certain areas on hands feet and low back. Make sure ur massage therapist knows what he or she is doing!!
  • Options
    abbyfulabbyful member
    My OB office offers prenatal massages. They say you must be 13 weeks, so that's what I personally go by.

I have had a couple chair massages (shoulder massages, my work has someone come in once a month) in 1st tri, but those are short (10 minutes) and not intense.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My chiro keeps suggesting a massage when I move into my second trimester. She said it's not because the massage can be harmful but because of where your head is... If god forbid you miscarried you would probably blame yourself for doing it and/or the masseuse. I really needed one early so I asked my ob and he said it was fine to have.
  • Options
    abbyfulabbyful member
    edited May 2014

Cchewning said:

My chiro keeps suggesting a massage when I move into my second trimester. She said it's not because the massage can be harmful but because of where your head is... If god forbid you miscarried you would probably blame yourself for doing it and/or the masseuse. I really needed one early so I asked my ob and he said it was fine to have.

Your chiro said that laying down makes you miscarry?

I bet she's a anti-vaxxer too.

===

I think she meant where your head is mentally, not physically.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    abbyful said:
    Cchewning said:
    Your chiro said that laying down makes you miscarry?

I bet she's a anti-vaxxer too.

=== I think she meant where your head is mentally, not physically.
    That makes even less sense.

You will miscarry from a massage because you have the wrong frame of mind?

To clarify; yes I meant where your head is mentally- your frame of mind in the first trimester. NOT that the massage or what you're currently thinking causes a miscarriage but that if you by chance have a miscarriage after a massage some women could blame their self for making the decision to have one done. Which I know personally if I were to lose my baby at any point, I would always question if i could have done anything to prevent it. It makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    How/why did this thread get revived from 2012?
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Prenatal Massages are done after first trimester is over. These can be very relaxing and stress relieving. My friend has been visiting  Belle Vie Day Spa for receiving prenatal massage for a while and has helped her in providing relief from headaches, fatigue and leg cramps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"