Natural Birth
Options

Birthing positions

Hey ladies - looking for some ideas here. When DD was born, the MW had a birth stool we used. And it was awesome. This time around tho, no one in my new MW's practice has one, and I can't find any rental places anywhere near here. I've googled Making a Birthing Stool and whatever - DH is fairly handy, but... I dunno. 

Anyways, I guess my question is: what pushing positions are there that I can use at home that would give similar results? I see things like a squat bar, etc, but we're not planning on going to the hospital, and just plain squatting sounds... difficult. 

Maybe this is way simpler than Im making it out to be. I dunno. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Birthing positions

• Options
    Here are the Bradley method positions/options they gave us- hope this helps https://mamasandbabies.blogspot.com/2010/05/position-change-and-movement-during.html
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Honestly, I think you will have to see what feels right in the moment. 

Once I got to the pushing stage with J., only pushing on my back (yes, the least recommended position) felt right/good. So that's what I did.

With A. I was in the birth tub and semi-reclined against the side. 

With S. I was sitting on the toilet until I realized that he was crowning. I told DH to catch the baby (MW hadn't arrived yet) and stood up.

Basically, after 3 births I figure that it's good to know a variety of positions because you don't know what will feel right in the moment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used the squat bar at the hospital but you can accomplish the same thing by "hanging" on your husband. Get into a squat and raise your arms and your husband holds your arms.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I pushed in the side lying position. I wanted to squat but when it came down to it I was to tired and wanted to rest more. I found the side lying position to be pretty comfortable. My doula held my leg up and helped support it so I did not have to bring it up and down. Have you considered buyig your own birth stool? I looked into it since the hospital did not provide them and I think they are only $50ish dollars.
  • Options
    ok thanks guys - some good suggestions! 

@aylafsu88 yes we looked into that, but have not found anywhere near here or online that sells them, esp for such a reasonable price. 

@birthjunkie13 - no pool.... but we do have a ball. 

And Dh seems to think he can make something that will work similarly, so we might try that. I will look more into the link and other positions. 

@barnwife - yeah I totally hear you! but thats why Im doing this - I want options!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    ah625ah625 member
    I used this position, but with my knees on the bed. It was awesome, and delivering a baby that was almost 2lb heavier than my first was much much easier for me.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    With my first I was standing in our dry tub with my feet about shoulder width and my knees spread wide. With my second I was on hands and knees until pushing, then I squatted over the side of the birthing tub.
  • Options
    My midwife told me that the toilet makes a great birth stool!  
  • Options
    I agree with PP - just do what feels right at the time.

With one of my homebirths, I pushed while squatting in the birth tub.  With the next one I wanted to be on my hands and knees.

• Options
    fraseyfrasey member
    SO Dh finished making a stool out of 2x4s and a toilet seat. Its basically a toilet without the bowl and water. Awesome. And it cost like $5 to make. Im glad its here as an option! 

@Summer889 - I know! I spend the majority of my last labour on the toilet, moved to the stool for delivery. Worked awesome :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    jenn43jenn43 member
    ah625 said:
    I used this position, but with my knees on the bed. It was awesome, and delivering a baby that was almost 2lb heavier than my first was much much easier for me.

I actually tried this position after seeing it on this post- it was great.  Only downside is that my feet went numb after a couple minutes.  The nurses put the squat bar on the bed so I could face forward and lean back to a sitting position between contractions, but by that point I was already crowning.  Gravity helped tremendously!
  • Options
    This was great information ladies.  
  • Options
    I birthed my daughter on my knees, leaning on my husband who was sitting on the edge of the bed. I was able to catch her myself and he kept me stable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"