April 2014 Moms
Options

Gallbladder issues?

I've heard that women who have just given birth are at a higher risk for gallstones. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have a tried and true method to pass them? I have had two attacks in a six week period and would really like to avoid surgery if possible.

Re: Gallbladder issues?

• Options
    Have you been diagnosed with gall stones? I thought I had them. Did all the tests and turned out to be gastritis from the prescription strength aleve. My doctor prescribed protonix and its taken care of the pain and random vomiting. The symptoms were exactly alike.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I haven't actually. I have my six week check up tomorrow and I plan to talk to my dr.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't realize gallstones don't pass. Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    I was just in the ER last night with horrible stomach pain that the doctor said was probably gallstones! I didn't realize they're more common in post-partum women, that's really comforting :) 
    I know that you can't pass them, they either become an issue and require surgery, or the attacks are seldom enough that you can avoid it. The ER doc said that some people will have an attack a few times then never have one again, or not for another 5 or 10 or 25 years, etc. So I'm hoping I'm in the never again camp, it hurt like anything! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Yes the attacks are so painful! I hope you don't have another attack either!
  • Options
    I've been having issues too. Really hoping to avoid surgery, but the other night it hurt so bad I think I would have cut out my own gallbladder to make the pain stop. I still had Percocet left from my c-section and they didn't even touch the pain.

imageimage
  • Options
    I know what you mean @denneyvictoria‌
  • Options
    With my DD I had gal stones really bad, I had to deal with them for 2 years before any one could tell me what was going on, I had way to many stones so they took me in for surgery and holy hell did that hurt!
    Good luck to you hun, I hope you don't have gal stones but if you do I hope you get it taken care of.
    Good luck :)
  • Options
    I had my gallbladder removed yesterday. It sucks, I was just about healed from my c-section and now I have to go through the healing process again. I had a gallbladder attack 2 weeks ago. I was in horrible pain for hours until the stone passed. I wanted to avoid surgery, but the doctor told me I pretty much had a 100% chance of having another gallbladder attack and if a stone got caught in my bile duct again and didn't pass surgery would be more complicated. At least it happened while I'm on leave though so I don't have to take additional time off of work.
  • Options
    @LaurenC109‌ that does suck, hope you heal quickly
  • Options
    Tferr02Tferr02 member
    With my DS1 I had to get my gallbladder out about 2 months after my c section. I had waited a few weeks since my first attack and some of the stones had gotten out and gotten stuck. Because of that, I had to have 2 surgeries and a 5 day hospital stay. If it's gallstones, don't put it off if they suggest surgery. 2 surgeries and a long hospital stay was awful.
    In a cruel unrelated twist, two weeks later I had to get my appendix out. The ER dr told me I was the most unlucky person. 3 abdominal surgeries in 3 months.
  • Options
    I didn't realize it was this common. I know of three ladies who had to have theirs out after giving birth.
  • Options
    Apparently it is very common in pregnant women. It's especially common if you drop your baby weight quickly after you give birth. 
  • Options
    @Abcollins57‌
    How did your appointment go?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm released from care with my OB so I need to see a general practitioner about these symptoms, which is not a big deal except I don't actually have a GP :/ I haven't seen a dr in years outside of my pregnancy cause I rarely ever get sick!
    Thanks for thinking of me and checking though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"