Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Flu Shot

How many of you decided to get this? ?I am really nervous about getting a flu shot with all the controversy over it. ?I never had a flu shot before so I'm thinking of not getting it. ?What are your thoughts?? ?

Re: Flu Shot

• Options
    I got it b/c my OB recommended it and b/c I'm exposed to a lot of families/children in their homes, etc.  I hadn't ever had one before so I was concerned too.  I read that it can protect the baby for up to 6 months and I felt that was worth it since he'll be born in cold and flu season.  I wanted a preservative/thermasol free one.  My PCP's office didn't carry that kind but they transferred one over from our pediatrician's office.
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat Lesli but I think I've decided to not get one.  I've never had one before and I'm not around kids that much.  Plus our little Pumpkin will be born in June and not during flu season.  I just didn't see the point I guess.  It's a tough call.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never had one before I was pregnant, then my OB told me to get one. I had it, and i was fine, except for the bruised arm! haha
  • Options

I never had one before, and got one in my first trimester.  I was concerned about the mercury content in the shot (our local pharmacy came to our office to do them, and that's the only kind they offer), but my OB said they would give the same kind and it was fine.

Then the nurse told me that one flu shot contains way less mercury than a can of tuna (which I had been told I could eat in moderation) --- so I was ok with the shot.  I didn't get real extreme with things like that -- moderation was key.

• Options
    My OB told me not to get one at all...It amazes me how many of your responses say different things.  I work in an Internal Medicine office and our Dr's also said not to get one due to being pregnant.
  • Options
    I work in health care and I felt it was much more of a risk for me not to get it. I also was already in my third trimester when I got it. I'm not sure I would have if I was in my first tri since I never had one befor. Talk to your OB and see what they think.
  • Options
    I got one my first trimester. Both my OB and my family doctor told me to get one b/c I work in a school. I had never had one before.
  • Options

I got one when I was pregnant  (and again this year for both Adam and me). At the time my docs highly encouraged me to get one, so I did.

The one time in life when I didn't get the shot, I got the flu! Lesson learned.

• Options

I'm not getting one, but I don't have any kind of high exposure to anything like that.  I think it all depends on your situation, where you work, what you do, etc, to make it neccessary for you or not.

I'm a SAHW, I don't have alot of physical contact with anyone really, so I didn't feel I needed it.  I am still waiting on my husband to get one, since he could be the one to bring it home to me since he's a Verizon guy - you'd be shocked how many people schedule their installs when they are home SICK!!  Irritating!

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• Options

I got one, but ever since I got married, I've gotten one due to DH's asthma.  I figure if he's considered high risk, I should get one to avoid bringing it home.  Additionally, my baby will be born at the height of flu season, and the last thing I need is to have the flu with a newborn, or even worse, a newborn with the flu.

I got mine in the 2nd trimester.  As for the controversy, there have been numerous studies that disprove the link between autism and vaccinations. 

I had no physical side effects except a little soreness in my arm, but I will admit to being an emotional wreck the next day, which I know sometimes happens to me when my immune system is a bit taxed. 

• Options
    I never got a flu shot before until I was PG with Nina.  I did because I was PG at the time and it was highly recommended.  In fact, I've been getting them ever since.
  • Options
    I got one when I was pregnant with Addy and once before when in grad school.  I got one when I was pregnant b/c the OB recommended it and I felt it would be really bad if I got the flu pregnant.  I had the flu a few years ago and was  off work for a week.  I did not want that while pregnant and also have to worryabout what meds I could take. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"