May 2014 Moms
Options

Crib/bassinet training

So my LO is almost 3 weeks old. We've done really good with sleeping in the bassinet, until today. All of a sudden the moment I put her in there she is wide awake and crying. I've made sure to not hold her or suggle during naps just to be sure she still sleeps on her own.
Tonight I've woken up every hour because she is awake and wanting out.

Any advise?
BabyName Ticker

Re: Crib/bassinet training

• Options
    Could it be a growth spurt? Maybe she's hungry.
  • Options
    CVisloCVislo member
    Yeah, whenever my first son did this, I noticed he was more hungry during the day as well. It could be a growth spurt. She may also be a light sleeper. My son will wake up at the slightest sound... He has since day one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mmksmmks member
    What kind of advice are you looking for?  Agree it could very well be a growth spurt and your baby could be hungry more often.  If you're asking about sleep training, 3 weeks is WAY too early!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    The title of this post makes me wonder if you're trying to sleep train this early? If she's not settling down into sleep and she's crying, then it sounds like she's trying to tell you something. My guess is she's hungry. I'd feed and snuggle her as much as she needs right now, especially with her only being 3 weeks. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    AnnieA75 said:
    The title of this post makes me wonder if you're trying to sleep train this early? If she's not settling down into sleep and she's crying, then it sounds like she's trying to tell you something. My guess is she's hungry. I'd feed and snuggle her as much as she needs right now, especially with her only being 3 weeks. 

Agreed
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    I guess training wouldn't be an appropriate word. I've realized she makes the rules. I just want to make sure she doesn't get use to only sleeping in my arms. I talked to the pedi and he thinks she's colic.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Mskot10Mskot10 member
    My 2 week baby only sleeps solid when he is swaddled. Maybe swaddling yours would help?
  • Options
    SMM1986SMM1986 member

I guess training wouldn't be an appropriate word. I've realized she makes the rules. I just want to make sure she doesn't get use to only sleeping in my arms. I talked to the pedi and he thinks she's colic.

colic is usually defined as inconsolable crying for 3 hours a day, at least 3 days a week for 3 weeks. Not that I'm a doctor, but if baby just started acting up I'd say probably not colic.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    cbrustcbrust member
    SMM1986 said:

colic is usually defined as inconsolable crying for 3 hours a day, at least 3 days a week for 3 weeks. Not that I'm a doctor, but if baby just started acting up I'd say probably not colic.
    This.
    Also are you putting baby in the bassinet when she's wide awake or drowsy? For us we are much more successful when DD is drowsy/almost asleep and swaddled when we lay her down
  • Options
    I don't mean this to sound snarky but babies will cry. There will be nights they insist on being held. As soon as you figure them out they will change it up on you again. A few bad nights at 3 weeks (which is a growth spurt week BTW) does not indicate colic. On the odd chance that it is not any of these things I would look at your diet if BFing, have you added any new foods? Or your routine, have there been any changes? Around 3 weeks they start to become a little more aware of their surroundings as well. You cannot spoil a 3 week old. We had many nights of DS only sleeping on us or in his swing (which we later learned was due to discomfort from MSPI) but at 6 weeks (when we figured out his issues and switched him to formula) we were able to get him to sleep in his PNP just fine.

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Sorry I think I'm confusing everyone. She started the sleep trouble where she would wake up almost immediately after I had put her in her bassinet. She is swaddled and I make sure she is asleep first. We are kind of getting past this now.

The colic she is up every night from 9pm-1am fussy/crying. It had started right after the troubles with her sleeping.

Edit:

We had to stop bfing over a week ago due to trouble latching.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    awc1986awc1986 member
    DD is up until 1am most nights for us. She just doesn't settle until around that time. Remember, babies don't know what time it is.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    Try making sure your house is bright during daytime hours and dark and quiet at "night time" hours. Sometimes you have to help them get their biological clock set. It's been backwards (they are essentially rocked to sleep while we move around all day) for the last 9 months. I still think it's too soon to call it colic. It could also be the formula she is on.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    I agree that you can't spoil a three week old. Snuggle and cuddle. That might be all she needs. I would also maybe look into the formula she's on if there is a correlation between switching to formula and this new fussiness. Could just be the brand. If it's truly tummy issues or colic, I recommend bio Gaia probiotics for new borns. And gripe water as well.
  • Options
    amrokeamroke member
    If she's got reflux it will get worse when you lay her flat. Try putting her down in something with an incline (like a rock n play) and see if she does better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"