3rd Trimester
Options

Help with Back Pain

This is my second pregnancy and the back pain has been so much worse this time around. I think it has a lot to do with chasing around a 2 1/2 year old, but this baby just seems to be hanging out low the whole time. It's gotten progressively worse over the last week and a half. I sit at a desk job all day so I've started bringing a pillow to help with some support and I try to get up at least once an hour just to move. Over the past 2 nights I've noticed that it is increasingly worse when laying down. I lay on my left side with a pillow between my knees but I do have to flip to the right side sometimes as my left hip starts hurting. The pain is mostly on my right side and doesn't feel any better laying on either side. Does anyone have any other suggestions for what to do when laying down? I want to lay flat on my back so bad but I know that's a No-No. It's so odd to me that it feels better to stand up than to lay down at this point.

Re: Help with Back Pain

• Options
    Towards the end of my last pregnancy, I found relief in a large size blow up exercise ball, I'd sit on it while on the computer at home, rather than a desk chair. I also would roll back and forth to stretch my hips and found this helped some. I also swam a lot at the end of my pregnancy and felt this was helpful. Hope things get easier!
  • Options
    At home I use a hot water bottle at the bottom of my back as the heat helps to ease the pain, if you can take a hot water bottle to work and place it next against the back rest of your chair.
    Failing that, you could try those sticky heat pads, they sell them at pharmacies, you just stick one on to your back on your skin, and then put your normal clothes on over it, so no one will know you are wearing it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm having severe back pain as well and nothing seems to help. I am having acupuncture done today for the first time ever to see if it helps. My OB said it was perfectly safe as long as they avoid the labor inducing points. I'll let you know what I think.
  • Options
    I lay on my back at night sometimes.  My OB said it is fine.  He said you will know when it isn't ok, because I would feel numbnes, pain, or be uncomfortable.  Some nights, laying on my back is all that works for me.  I also put the heating pad on low heat and apply that to my back (had to do that last night).  Warm baths before bed, pregnant-friendly twists in yoga, and remembering to tuck my tailbone (to stretch out my lower back) have helped me. 

• Options
    Sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair - sitting in a chair is the worst thing you can do for your back!  Walk around as much as you can during the day.  Do yoga/stretching that focuses on your hamstrings and psoas.  And try the chiro!
  • Options
    As I type, I have a heating pad on my lower back. It helps so much!!
  • Options
    Regular chiropractor appointments and my heating pad have helped me tremendously.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Chiro. And if you can get a referral to a physical therapist who specializes in pregnancy/pelvic issues. Both really changed my qualify of life this pregnancy.

• Options
    I always have a pillow under my belly when I sleep on my side, which seems to help my alignment. I am also up to 3 warm baths a day, which helps a lot. I agree with those who rec heat.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I found wearing a Bella Band really helped when my back was starting to hurt.  If that's not enough support, you could even try an abdominal binder.  And it wouldn't hurt to ask your doc if you could lie on your back for 5 minutes at a time just to stretch out- even 5 minutes can make a big difference!
  • Options
    I def. recommend aqua physical therapy. Google and see if there is a place near you that offers water physical therapy. Changed my life pre-pregnancy and currently during pregnancy. I have shoulder pain when I sleep at night and mid back pain from my bump pushing me forward. 
  • Options
    Agree with other posters. You may also want to try a pillow under your butt and hips. I also do the one between my legs and one to lean into. The one under my butt seems to lessen the pressure on that are and my legs.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Options
    I have a herniated disc L5-S1 and I was always really worried about carrying, but I see a chiropractor 3 times a week and fortunately for me, I've had no issues.  He is a lifestyle chiropractor so he just does adjustments, no need for all the other therapy, so I'm in and out in minutes.  If you can find a chiropractor with the same beliefs, I highly recommend.  As for sleeping, I sleep with a full body pillow.  I couldn't sleep with it until I was probably about 24 weeks, but now it is a life saver and I can sleep through the whole night with it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"