Baby Names
Options

I do not want anyone to think I'm trying to be YOU-NEEK.

My husband and I have decided on the name Bronwyn for our girl.  It's a very traditional, Welsh name and we're quite fond of it.  I know 2 different Bronwyn's  (both American) and their names are both spelled with the Y.  Bronwyn can be and is commonly spelled both Bronwen and Bronwyn.  We prefer the spelling with the Y just because that is what we've been exposed to and what seems "right" to us. 

My concern.... the trend of putting random Ys in names... Madisyn, Carsyn, etc... Will people think I'm trying to be unique or creative with the spelling even though it is a very traditional name with a very traditional spelling? 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: I do not want anyone to think I'm trying to be YOU-NEEK.

• Options

Yes, -wyn is typically considered male in Welsh.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Hmmmm... As someone who isn't familiar with the background to Bronwyn, I would probably think the "y" was creative. I personally prefer the look of Bronwen. Though, my spell check seems to like Bronwyn better :).

Do whatever you like best.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    -wyn, totally. I don't think the -wen spelling looks right at all - but then I'd be familiar enough with the name (in Ireland, so not to far from Wales)
  • Options
    Bronwyn is on our short list, and I've been having the same concerns.

My understanding is that Bronwyn is the traditional masculine spelling in Welsh, and the Welsh feminine is Bronwen.  

BUT Bronwyn is much more common for girls in the US, Canada, and Australia.  Bronwyn for boys is basically unheard of outside of Wales.  In 2012 in the US, there were 51 girls named Bronwyn and 12 named Bronwen.  There were no (or fewer than 5) boys named either version.

Here's Wikipedia's list of famous people named Bronwyn:
    They're all women.

So, to sum up, I'd put Bronwyn in the same category as Ashley.  It started out as a man's name, but in the English-speaking world it's been feminine for about a century.  To my mind, there's nothing "youneek" about the y spelling.

Can you tell me where you found information on how many times that name was used?  I've been interested in seeing those stats.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'll probably totally nerd out on that link the rest of the day!  Thanks so much.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I would go with the female spelling.

That being said, I have always hated names that start with "Br" for one reason or another. I am very excited that you have presented a "Br" name that I actually like - possibly the only one I will ever like.

It's a very beautiful name you have chosen, is what I'm trying to say. :D

• Options
    pipeTsquaredpipeTsquared member
    edited May 2014
    I am the welsh speaker @bromios speaks off, unless I am not in which case I am a welsh speaker

What others have said is correct
    wyn - male
    wen - female

them's the rules
    Bronwen is the female spelling, the wyn is the male spelling, go with Bronwen, it is a no brainer. 
    (though to my ears it is a dated name- but then I guess I am use to hearing it way more than most of you)

Edit - I feel I should add they are said very slightly differently as well. Both are a -when sound but the wyn is ever so slightly a win slant to the vowel on the when where as the -wen doesnt have the same win slant on the vowel. Because a lot of the welsh accents (especially in the south) inflect the endings of words I dont think I have explained that very well

• Options
    I'm team Bronwen, but I love both spellings :)
  • Options
    The only Bronwyn I've ever known was female and spelled it this way! Because it's all I've ever known, I prefer it with the 'y' 
  • Options
    I recently had a business transaction with a professional woman named Bronwyn, that actually goes by Brownie.  Just thought I'd throw that little tidbit into the pot.
  • Options

I am half Welsh (though certainly do not speak the language beyond key swear words taught by cousins and counting to 10) and all of the female Bronwyn's I know spell it with a y, with one (Canadian) spelling it Branwen.

I prefer the look of the y, but it is a lovely name either way you spell it.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    pipeTsquaredpipeTsquared member
    edited May 2014

I am half Welsh (though certainly do not speak the language beyond key swear words taught by cousins and counting to 10) and all of the female Bronwyn's I know spell it with a y, with one (Canadian) spelling it Branwen.

I prefer the look of the y, but it is a lovely name either way you spell it.

@Ceridwen21 Branwen is a different name completely (Branwen is in the mabinogion - she marries the king of ireland) 

• Options
    Ah good to know!

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The Bronwen I grew up with is spelled with an e. However, I always misspelled it and used a y. Sorry I am of no help! 
  • Options
    Go with Bronwyn.  It's a fairly popular female name in my area. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Feel I should add 
    though Bronwyn spelling is male and should never be given to a girl, as a boys name it is basically never used. Some names have both male and female usage with the -wen -wyn (think Carwen and Carwyn - same name different genders, the same as in french, or Gwen and Gwyn. Bronwen isnt one of those names that is both, the spelling makes it male but it isnt used as a male name (if that makes sense)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"