May 2014 Moms

BFing Moms: Do you wake LO for feeding?

I'm a FTM and while in the hospital the nurses and LCs said DD should be eating at least every 3 hours, and they would wake her up and bring her to me if she didn't wake on her own. But I was also advised to feed on demand for now rather than trying to set a rigid schedule.

For the last 2 nights she's been going 4-4 1/2 hours in between feedings and sleeping through. During the day she's on the 2-3 hour rotation. So should I count my blessings and enjoy that extra hour of sleep overnight or should I be waking her? Is there any risk to my supply if I don't? She's a week old today.
BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3

Re: BFing Moms: Do you wake LO for feeding?

• For me it depends on how they are sleeping. If DS is deeply sleeping I've been leaving him and waiting until he stirs a bit to try and how much time has passed.

He went for a 4 hour stretch yesterday and is on a stretch right now. My midwife said as long as you get the 8-12 on average it's okay.

I don't think you'll get an oversupply but maybe you'll get full and uncomfortable. I would enjoy the sleep if it's only 4 hours. :)
  • SMM1986SMM1986 member
    Oh Lord I'd count my blessings. I was told no longer than 4 hours so by that it seems like you'd be okay to leave her. I have also heard you don't have to wake to feed once they hit their birth weight, but that's not coming from a professional so don't quote me on that.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • JennyinheavenJennyinheaven member
    edited May 2014
    I did the three hour thing until she gained back up to her birth weight plus half a pound more, now at 3 weeks old I feed her when she wakes up during the night usually about every 4 hours and like 2 to 2 1/2 during the day. I actually get some sleep and this makes mommy much saner. Eta because I tried to bump and breast feed at the same time
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • With DD and DS...They would go 6+ stretches at night starting at 5 days old. Our doctor told us to let them sleep. I think this is why our kiddos slept through the night so early. As long as they are gaining weight...let them go.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers #1-DD born June 14, 2008 at 40w4d...Our Little Bug is growing so fast! #2-HB 7w5d, Missed mc 3/30/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 8w1d) #3-DS born April 5, 2011 at 38w2d...Our Little Boy is getting so big! #4-Baby #3 is due May 26, 2014! image
  • ns1ns1 member
    DD slept for longer periods early on too. Once she was back up to her birthweight and gaining well I would lether go for that long. Enjoy it! Just keep an eye on output and weight gain.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • SMM1986SMM1986 member
    Omg I am really jealous! We are up every hour or two to eat.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Until she was back at birthweight, yes I did after that, nope.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• For the first 2 weeks, I would wake him. At our 2 week follow up with the pedi, she said I could let him sleep since he has surpassed his birth weight. He wakes up on his own after 4 or 5 hours.
  • typesettypeset member
    He's over his birth weight, so no.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • kalettekalette member
    I don't wake for feedings. DS will go 4-7 hours at night with out waking to eat, but then he clusters during the evening and first thing in the morning.
  • Generally it is every three hours until back to birth weight.

After that, on demand, but try not to go much more than five hours.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• amrokeamroke member
    The nurses at the hospital with my son kept telling us I wake him to feed him. Then the pediatrician came and said that if he's sleeping, leave him be and don't wake him just to feed him. We decided to listen to the pedi and my son is a healthy, average size kid 19 months later.
  • hsalhsal member
    I never woke my daughter and she was happy and healthy (and mommy felt sane too). I haven't woken this guy up and at 5 days old he's going from 9 pm til 1am then til 5/6 am and is putting on weight so I'm not concerned.
  • Thanks! She is gaining weight as of our first appointment and we are getting about 10 feedings in a day. So for now I'll enjoy it and I'll ask again at our next appointment.

Lilypie - (nUwf)

• I wake him at the 3 hour mark during the day because I don't want him making up for it overnight. Overnight I let him go as long as he wants, but that's usually only 3-3.5 hours anyway. We did wake him overnight until he was back at birth weight, so the first 3-4 nights.
    BFP#1 11-26-10 MMC 1-13-11
    BFP#2 6-8-11 Eleanor Beatrice born 2-15-12
    BFP#3 9-4-13 Benjamin Lee born 4-28-14

• SMM1986SMM1986 member
    edited May 2014
    Holy crap ladies. Are you BFing or FFing? If I get two straight hours It's a damn miracle.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • MimalooMimaloo member
    edited May 2014
    I'm a FTM and while in the hospital the nurses and LCs said DD should be eating at least every 3 hours, and they would wake her up and bring her to me if she didn't wake on her own. But I was also advised to feed on demand for now rather than trying to set a rigid schedule. For the last 2 nights she's been going 4-4 1/2 hours in between feedings and sleeping through. During the day she's on the 2-3 hour rotation. So should I count my blessings and enjoy that extra hour of sleep overnight or should I be waking her? Is there any risk to my supply if I don't? She's a week old today.
    I feel like I could have written this myself. While in the hospital, they brought DD to me only when she was showing signs of being hungry. At home, she will go for 4-5 hours without waking up. I was counting my blessings until the pediatrician told me that I had to wake her every three hours. And I have to say, she's not an easy baby to wake. So now I do my best to get her up and eating every 3 hours. 

ETA: DD is EBF and pediatrician's orders are only until she is back up to her birth weight. 
  • tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member
    I woke DD, but only because she was low birth weight.  I woke her until she reached 7.5 lbs.

This baby should be bigger, so after he reaches his birth weight, I don't plan to wake him.

• mrtmrt member
    My son lost quite a bit of weight and was gaining slowly so they had me waking him every 2 hours during the day, but still told me he could sleep at night because he was gaining. Once he started gaining more consistently and reached his birthweight (at 12 days), I stopped waking him.
  • Once she regained birth weight I had stopped, and she slept 5-7 hours three nights in a row after serious cluster feeding in the evenings. Unfortunately, she seems to have gotten a stomach bug that DH had (despite him not going near her for 2 days, which was very rough). Yesterday we brought her to the ER on recommendation of the pedi nurse, and the ER doc said I need to wake her every 3hrs bc she is at risk for dehydration. She was having loose bms, now she's just spitting up a lot and doing a lot of shorter feeds. So I guess this is a special situation, but having to start timing her again has been really hard. Between no sleep and the PP weepies, I'm pretty much a mess today. Sorry to whine, just needed to get it out.

• Once she regained birth weight I had stopped, and she slept 5-7 hours three nights in a row after serious cluster feeding in the evenings. Unfortunately, she seems to have gotten a stomach bug that DH had (despite him not going near her for 2 days, which was very rough). Yesterday we brought her to the ER on recommendation of the pedi nurse, and the ER doc said I need to wake her every 3hrs bc she is at risk for dehydration. She was having loose bms, now she's just spitting up a lot and doing a lot of shorter feeds. So I guess this is a special situation, but having to start timing her again has been really hard. Between no sleep and the PP weepies, I'm pretty much a mess today. Sorry to whine, just needed to get it out.

That sounds so awful. I hope it gets better :) the weepies are no fun. But as with everything it will pass. I hope today gets better for you.
  • @Nikkipal82 I'm so sorry your LO is sick. We're actually taking Kaylie to the pediatrician today because of a clogged tear duct and I can't stop crying about it. I can't imagine how I'll be when she really gets sick. Big hugs mama.

Lilypie - (nUwf)

• Thanks for the nice replies, you guys are awesome. @LunaBug924‌ I hope Kaylie feels better soon! I know what you mean, Mary is hardly distressed by this illness but it's tearing me up! She's too little and I want to take away any pain she has! Motherhood has turned me to mush.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"