May 2014 Moms
Options

Blake and Carter's birth story (LONG)

Finally getting around to my birth story...
Went in for an induction on 5/3/2014 at exactly 37w (mo/di twins, so MFM  didn't want me to go longer than that since they were sharing a placenta). I started out at 4-5cm, 50-80% effaced (subjective), and -3 station and had been contracting regularly since 32w.  I assumed a little Pitocin would kick me into full-blown labor rather quickly. Pitocin was started at 9:30am and they upped the amount every half hour. Contractions became regular fairly quickly and were 2-3min apart, but I wasn't really in pain, just feeling pressure and cramping. They stopped increasing the Pit at a 12 bc Baby B had a few HR decels after contractions. 
At 2pm I was only slightly more dilated, but the OB thought Baby A was locked in enough to break his water. There was a ton of amniotic fluid and it took a while to all pour out. Around 3pm I had three really huge contractions and a huge gush of water, which I was convinced was Baby B's water bag but we discovered later was not, just more of Baby A's water. Then things git real. The contractions became excrutiating. 
The OB checked me at 3:35pm and I was 6cm, 100% effaced, and 0 station, so I asked for the epidural. I was in the most pain of my life at this point (besides my labor with my daughter). The anasteologist was there quickly but it took her about 30min to sucessfully get the epi in (this sucked!). Once it was in, I started feeling relaxed and only felt the pressure of the contractions. It was a good epi bc I could still move my legs but the pain was gone. I was relaxed enough to almost fall asleep during the Kentucky derby around 4:30p. 
There was a lot of pressure in my rectal area with each contraction, so I told the nurse and she had the OB come to check me. I think it was around 5:30p, and I was 9.5cm! She had me try a practice push and then everyone RAN frantically to get me to the OR (twins are automatically delivered in the OR in case of complications). Apparently, Baby A was ready to fly out. 
They got me into the OR and let my husband and mom in and then let me push. I pushed through three contractions and Baby A, Blake Michael, easily came out at 6:01p (5lb 10oz and 18.5in) with his cord around his neck, but it was easily removed and he was fine. I couldn't believe how easy it was bc I had a terrible delivery with my daughter and pushed for SIX hours with her. I didn't even tear while delivering him! They whisked Blake away to the side to be examined and then it was time to push fro Baby B. It's very weird to deliver a baby but not be able to focus on it or really experience any emotions bc it's time to deliver another. 
I started pushing for Baby B and was expecting him to fly out after his brother, but he was not coming easily. His delivery took a lot more effort, but Carter Jonathan was delivered only 13 min after his brother at 6:14p (7lb and 19in). He was much bigger than his older brother, hence the more difficult delivery. His shoulder got caught on the way out and he was pretty bruised, especially on his face. 
They basically had to pull the placenta out bc it wasn't coming on it's own (it was HUGE), and then they did a uterine sweep to make sure it all came out (very weird feeling but didn't hurt bc of the epi). I had a small tear from delivering Carter that they repaired and then they did some repair work from my last delivery (my old OB botched it!), which was awesome. 
I felt so great afterward, which was so different than with my daughter. Not feeling so great a week later due to mastitis, nipple pain, and uterine cramping, but I'm trying to work through it. I love these little boys more than I ever imagined! .

Re: Blake and Carter's birth story (LONG)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"