May 2014 Moms
Options

Last ditch effort- pumping?

edited May 2014 in May 2014 Moms

So I'm set for a RCS @ 41 weeks on Monday. I have had what I am pretty sure are very mild contractions on and off the past 3 days, but they didn't become more intense or closer together. As of Thursday I was still only a fingertip dilated, no effacement. I've tried walking, sex, RRL tea, EPO vaginally for the past 2-3 weeks, exercise ball, and that's where I am. Would you try pumping to initiate labor at this point, or just assume nothing is going to happen? I'm not going to try castor oil, so this is about the last thing I can think of before resigning myself to accepting the c-section. I'm torn. TIA...

Q: Should I use my pump to try and initiate labor at this point?
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Last ditch effort- pumping? 106 votes

No. Let nature take its course.
44% 47 votes
Sure, why not?
47% 50 votes
SS (post in comments, please)
8% 9 votes

Re: Last ditch effort- pumping?

• Options
    TnpeachTnpeach member
    Maybe not straight up pumping, but I'd be playing with those nips.
  • Options
    Hell Nooooo. Even nipple stim is supposed to be questionably okay to do.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    cnbeancnbean member
    I'd have my husband help with nipple stimulation, but not pump. I don't think the pump stimulates the breast the right way anyhow.
    image    image

• Options
    I'd wait for your RCS unless you know the doctor you want to deliver you is on call.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Or are you attempting VBAC?
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Or are you attempting VBAC?
    My doctor will allow me to attempt a VBAC only if I go into labor on my own. Due to hospital policy, she can't medically induce me. Monday is 41 weeks, and my cut-off for VBAC. Basically, if nothing happens by Monday, I'll be having a c-section around 2PM. :/ Hence, why I am desperate but a little hesitant. I didn't go into labor with DS1, but I've at least had some "action" this time around in the form of BH and such. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My midwife suggested pumping and if contractions got too bad to just stop. However, I'm not in the same shoes as you are, as I'm not attempting a vbac.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    If I were to do it it wouldn't be a pump. When I was being sent for my induction with DD I had 2 hours to walk around before I had to report upstairs. My MFM suggested nipple stim by DH.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Until your placenta is expelled, your body continues to make colostrum. There may not be a never ending supply of it, but a few days prior to eviction certainly aren't going to use it up either.

That being said, I'd definitely not be on team pump before baby arrives. I'd rather have DH stimulate if I did anything at all.
  • Options
    anniemore said:
    Are you an LC because it was an LC with 30 years in L&D who advised this to me and all of the mothers in her class. Some women do not have a lot of colostrum to start so if you are pumping or otherwise you can reduce what little is available at birth while waiting for milk to come in.
    I honestly have never heard this before. The nurse who taught my prenatal classes had LC experience and when this question came up during classes, she said not to do it but never said anything about a finite supply of colostrum.

@OP, I really wouldn't do it, especially if you're trying for a VBAC. Seems a little too risky since you can't control what kind of contractions might result. Just wait it out.
  • Options
    Not an IBCLC but I am a RN and have nursed a child and done my research. Colostrum is not produced in finite quantities. It will continue to be produced until your milk comes in. Moms still nursing toddlers while pregnant can easily attest to this. The fact that many women leak colostrum regularly throughout pregnancy (I did as early as 16 weeks with DD) also tells you that it's not something that you get X amount of and that's it. Sorry that your LC was not informed.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"