Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Travel system vs convertible ?

Which one do you recommend, price is not an issue, I'm a first time mom, somebody told me I need both ! What do you think ? Thanks mommies

Re: Travel system vs convertible ?

• Options
    asm07asm07 member
    I wouldn't recommend a travel system at all. They are bulky, heavy and not worth the money. If you want to go the infant seat route, you can buy that and the stroller separately. We bought a chicco keyfit30 and a chicco liteway plus to keep in the car. For a nicer stroller we bought a city mini gt with an adapter for the car seat. An infant seat won't last you more than a year probably, though most babies outgrow them before that. That's when you would make the switch to a convertible. That said, if you want to save some money and are ok with taking the baby in and out of the car seat (rather than bringing the entire seat inside/outside), then a convertible will work just fine from the very beginning. For us, having an infant seat is more convenient, but I know lots of people who prefer going straight to a convertible seat. I suggest going to a store that has both options and trying them out to see what you like best/what fits well in your car.
  • Options
    I think it's all a matter of what you want. A lot of people love travel systems, especially the convenience of not having to take the baby out of the seat to bring them in and out. But for me I don't see the necessity since I plan on baby wearing as much as possible from birth. So we'll be going straight for a convertible seat. 

You will eventually need both though if you want the infant seat/travel system first. The travel system infant seats only hold a baby up to a certain weight then you move to a convertible seat until they out grow that one. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You will need a convertible eventually, but not necessarily from birth unless you want to skip the infant car seat. I have not heard good things about travel systems, either, and quite a few strollers have car seat adapters so you can use them with your infant car seat until the baby is old enough to sit upright in the stroller.

We used a convertible car seat from birth. When he was really tiny DS transitioned well to and from his car seat, sleeping or not, and our lifestyle was such that an infant seat just wasn't going to be more convenient. We used the City Mini stroller, which reclines flat for newborns, paired with a JJ Cole body pillow for extra comfort. In places where the stroller wasn't practical I used a Moby wrap to carry him. If you do skip the infant car seat you'll want to look at the convertibles that will fit a newborn and older baby well, like the Chicco Nextfit.

• Options
    many strollers can be used as travel systems w many infant seats, you usually just have to buy the adapter separately. I say get the stroller you want to keep for the long term, and then get an infant seat thats compatible with it, plus the adapter. Yes, it will likely cost more $ but you will probably be happier. We went wtih the 'travel system' and hated the stroller pretty quickly. ugh. 

I personally wouldn't want to use a convertible from birth tho - I like the flexibility of taking them wherever in the seat. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    LC122LC122 member
    We got a travel system that was a jogging stroller and I love it. It's super simple to snap in & out and it was cheaper.
    We tend to keep the jogger at home for around the neighborhood and keep a Snap N Go in our trunk for short trips in stores & whatnot.
    Our stroller also has everything we need - 2 adult cupholders, 2 kid cupholders, parent console with MP3 speakers, roomy basket - and we didn't have to pay extra for any of those or an attachment for the car seat.
    I don't know why people pay hundreds more for a stroller and then still more on attachments and accessories and niceties that you can get included in a travel system. But I will make the distinction between my jogging travel system, which is awesome, and the clunky-looking plastic-wheeled ones that used to be more popular back in the day.
  • Options
    I am a huge fan of travel system. We have the Britax B Agile Stroller with the B Safe infant seat. When LO was smaller it was extremely convenient to move her seat from the car to the stroller to run errands without waking her. We now have a convertible seat in my car, DH still uses the infant seat with the base in his car, and I use the infant seat for walks. 

Yes, you can use a convertible almost from birth, I wouldn't recommend it since infant seats are a little more reclined (the infant seat seemed more comfortable for LO). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    the only reason a parent might NEED an infant seat is if their child is premature/very small at birth. There are a number of infant seats that go as low as 4 pounds (Graco Snugrides with numbers 30 and above), and the Chicco Keyfit 30. I think there is one other that is under $100 but cannot recall the name. Otherwise, it is your choice of Convertible right away, vs. infant seat first.

Personally, I got the infant seat first & my lightweight child was able to fit into it from birth (6 lbs) and we still could have continued using after 14months (she was approaching 20 lbs) but we stopped because it was getting difficult/heavy to manuever her plus the seat. Miss it at times when she falls asleep in the car because she doesn't transfer without waking up. Also miss being able to get her settled into the seat and getting her buckled up before we are even outside (have to be a bit of a contorshinust when inside the car & doing up the seat buckles).

Would say if your baby is a Summer or Winter baby, it is especially nice to have the infant seat because you're putting the newborn into the seat in the house or store where conditions are more climate controlled (i.e. no baby going into hot seat with hot metal buckle parts middle of the Summer) and running errands if baby has fallen asleep on the ride is easier like PPs said. Be warned though, some babies do not sleep in their car seats so each child is unique.

What ever you decide, make sure it comes with infant insert & harness covers because they will have been tested with the seat, where as other after market products have not, and can cause issues in the event of an accident. There is a Facebook group (Carseats for the Littles) that you can join. It has certified technicians & other parents that are experienced with car seats. The group has a number of specific seats that they reccomend for infants in variety of price ranges. Would check those seats out. If you go with an infant seat, see which strollers work with the infant seat you prefer, or you can get a snap n go type stroller if you deciding on a particular stroller for the beginning.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. !
  • Options
    Can someone please explain the difference between a travel system and a stroller that has an infant seat adapter but isn't the same brand as the carseat? We're getting a (newish but not expired) hand me down infant carrier and I'd like to attach it to a stroller but I don't feel compelled to buy the same brand as the carrier. Is it still considered a travel system then? Thanks!
  • Options
    I wouldn't consider that a travel system. To me a travel system is a big bulky stroller which comes with an infant carseat (or could be purchased seperately) that is of the same brand. The stroller does not require a special attachement/adaptor for that particular seat to attach. I also think if it as a left over term from the 70s/80s before you could easily buy adaptors (or other components) online.

Kind of like using the term pram could refer to a stroller that lays down or it could be an old school style stroller.

Also, the infant carrier (you're describing an infant car seat, yes?) - am assuming is coming from trusted source, where you know it's history (never checked on an air plane, straps never washed/submersed, foam under cover is intact & was never in an accident and no aftermarket infant inserts/covers/harness covers & have checked about recalls.... If any of these these are unknowns, would go with a new seat because then you have a known history. Reccomed Facebok group called Car Seats for the Littles if need help finding a reccomended seat within specific budget or answering why those stipulations were listed about the car seats history.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LittleAppleLittleApple member
    edited April 2014
    I consider a traditional travel system to come with an infant car seat and a cheap ass heavy junky stroller.

Looks like this:

You can always make your own travel system with a infant car seat with either a snap n go like this:

or get a better quality stroller and purchase a car seat adaptor like this

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    We had a Chicco cortina travel system and I kept hearing how we should avoid since they are so bulky! Well we didn't use it for 6 months and it had to go!!!

I then had LO in a RF convertible britax at 8 months old and bought a lightweight stroller but LO could reach down and grab the wheels so I bought a BJ city mini second hand and LOVE.

I would've done this first had I known (get britax or other infant carrier and city mini stroller with adaptor) or would've bought the britax b agile system that is basically the same.

However now that number 2 is almost here and LO is still needing a stroller to be secured, we got the britax b ready (it's heavy but I love!!) and the britax chaperone infant seat. We still kept the city mini in case we need it. I've been using the b ready with DS alone and it's been great and f you don't mind a bulkier stroller with options, it's great! I get so many compliments and other moms always tell me he's got a Cadillac stroller!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Options
    mbm1983 said:
    i have the britax b agile and the b safe. i consider this a travel system however it's not as bulky as some of those crappy graco/chicco systems are. a lot of people here love their travel systems. so it really just depends on what you like.
    I do not consider this a traditional travel system.  Britax, a car seat company just happens to make some very nice high end strollers to go along with their infant seats. 
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    Thank you all so much !
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for clarifying. I know that the infant carseat we're getting has never been in an accident or checked on a plane, etc. It's coming from my hubs' best friend and we're very familiar with its history. I appreciate the input.
  • Options
    mbm1983 said:
    mbm1983 said:
    i have the britax b agile and the b safe. i consider this a travel system however it's not as bulky as some of those crappy graco/chicco systems are. a lot of people here love their travel systems. so it really just depends on what you like.
    I do not consider this a traditional travel system.  Britax, a car seat company just happens to make some very nice high end strollers to go along with their infant seats. 
    just curious why you wouldn't? target and amazon both refer to the set as a travel system.
    I said traditional travel system.  It is a travel system, just not a traditional one with a crap stroller. :)

Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    I loved our travel system (Britax B-Agile stroller + Britax B-Safe infant seat). It was also super handy being able to take baby places without waking him up getting him in & out of the car seat.

We switched him to a convertible seat (Chicco NextFit) at about 8.5 months old.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

• Options
    Great recommendations, thanks all
  • Options

We got a travel system (Chicco Cortina) before LO was born. I had read mixed reviews and figured I would like it....wrong! The stroller is super bulky and heavy. It doesn't fold up small and is a pain to get in and out of the car. However, I LOVED the Chicco KeyFit 30. It was so easy to use and so convienant to be able to move LO in and out of cars if he was sleeping, or take in a resturant. We moved him to a convertible around 8 months (Chicco NextFit).

If I could do it all over again I would still get the infant seat and probably get a smaller, lighter umbrella type stroller that is compatible with the infant seat. Possibly something like the Chicco Liteway. Since we didn't do that the first time we ended up buying the snap-and-go stroller for the infant seat and it was great. It was light weight, and easy to get in and out and snap the car seat into.

Now that LO is in his convertible seat we bought an Inglesina Trip stroller that I love. It is light weight, reclines, folds up small, has a handle to carry it. It is nice to take to restraunts so that DS can take a nap if need be.

Whatever you do make sure you think long term on what you will be using your stroller for the most!

• Options
    Thanks !
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"