May 2014 Moms
Options

induction because of dilation?

Someone just told me that 4cm is considered active labor and that if I'm that far at my next appt they could send me to the hospital to be induced. I'm already 3cm as of Tuesday and have been having a lot more contractions since then (nothing that stays regular).

Is there any truth to that?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: induction because of dilation?

• Options
    With both my girls I have been 3-4 cm dilated at doctors appointments. Both times my doctors told me they thought I would go soon, but mentioned nothing about induction.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    "They could" is not the same as "they will", first of all. But I also don't understand why that would be the case if your body is progressing and you're not showing any cause for concern (like a high BP).
  • Options
    Even if this were true (and if it was even mentioned I would fire that OB in a hot second since it's not indicated at all), you can say no. It's your body you have to consent. FWIW I'm 4cm 70% as of Tuesday (36w5d). I was 6cm 90% at 38w2d with my daughter when I was induced for a MEDICAL reason (high BP). And ACOG changed guidelines soon after I had DD last year, active labor is now considered 6cm but you're not in labor if you're not having contractions so I was a moot point with DD.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I hadn't heard of it before, but didn't know if I was just dumb haha. IF.my doctor mentioned that (which I'm 99% sure she wouldn't) I would decline. Definitely not looking for an induction! With my first daughter my body did everything on its own and I was only 1cm by the time I got to the hospital

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    4cm is only "active labor" if you are actually IN labor at that point (or if your water breaks).
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    momo214momo214 member
    I was 3.5 at my 37 week appt. My OB just said I have a "beautiful cervix" and to hurry in when my water breaks bc labor may be quick. Nothing about induction.
  • Options
    I was 5cm at my appt a few days ago, 37 weeks today. My dr debated for a second on sending me in, but quickly decided against it since I wasn't having contractions so according to her I'm not in active labor. She is just nervous my labor could go quick so she said to go to the hospital once I have contractions 10 minutes apart instead of 5 or if my water breaks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SMM1986SMM1986 member
    I'm sure they could, but it's nothing you have to do. A friend of mine is an L&D nurse and told me they consider active labor to be 6cm. Not sure if that's a general guideline or specific to her hospital.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    SMM1986 said:
    I'm sure they could, but it's nothing you have to do. A friend of mine is an L&D nurse and told me they consider active labor to be 6cm. Not sure if that's a general guideline or specific to her hospital.
    That became the general guideline last year, I believe. Used to be 4 cm.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"