May 2012 Moms
Options

thyroid and nursing?

Hi, mamas,

Hope this message finds you all happy and well.  I haven't posted in a while, but I figured this was the right place to ask!

Has anyone else had thyroid problems post-pregnancy/nursing?  My recent bloodwork said my thyroid levels were low, and my doctor said this was common after pregnancy and nursing.  I'm going in for a follow-up blood test in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to improve my results.  My doctor said there isn't, but I feel like everything is related to lifestyle a bit...

So, any thyroid suggestions?

Also, I'm trying to nurse till my little one (though less little these days) is two-- anyone else still nursing?

Thanks so much in advance for any feedback! :-)

Re: thyroid and nursing?

• Options
    ebl2ebl2 member
    I developed hypothyroidism (under active thyroid) by getting pregnant with DD. There really isn't anything you can do to boost it back up, it's just a butterfly shape hormone thing in your neck/throat. I've had to take a thyroid hormone replacement pill every day since I found out. I just stopped nursing DD about a month ago. I was told by my doctor that some women who develop an under active thyroid by getting pregnant would regain it's function after giving birth. I was unfortunately not one of those women. I don't know how it works when you just develop it after having your baby, maybe it can just go back to normal but I don't think there is anything specific you can do to assure that outcome. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

image   image

• Options
    I never knew this could occur. Oh boy, another thing we ladies have to worry about! I'm still nursing my kidlette. She'll be 2 in about two weeks. She usually nurses once every day or two but recently has been nursing a lot due to a cold. I'm letting her self ween at this point. I wonder what other risk factors there are for hypothyriodism related to preg/nursing? Keep us posted on how you are doing with it. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    papeetepapeete member
    Sorry for the slow reply.  I didn't realize anyone responded. :-)  (Yay.)

Just to follow up:  I've started acupuncture because I heard it could help with hormonal imbalances, so we'll see in June if it's made a difference.  Fingers crossed-- hope so!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"