Pregnant after 35

No heartbeat at 6 Weeks

Hi,
I am new to the boards but wanted some opinions. I am 42 will be 43 when baby due. My husband and I have been trying for 20 years to conceive we had a miracles 6 years ago but miscarried at 10.5 weeks. 

This pregnancy is a surprise (a happy one). I thought I was at 9 weeks. It is so stressful all I do is worry but I told myself I would breathe a sigh of relief when I hit 12 weeks..which was not that far away. I was actually beginning to relax and not worry as much.

Today we had first ultrasound and it says I am 6 weeks and 4 days. She did not find a heartbeat. So far what I reading online has not reassured me at all, most are saying they heard the heartbeat in week 5.  When did you first hear yours?  Before we heard the heartbeat at 8 weeks but that was our first ultrasound so I do not know when it started to beat.

Re: No heartbeat at 6 Weeks

• I am so sorry for this stress on you.  We heard the heartbeat around 7 weeks 3 days, when we went for our first ultrasound.  I have no idea if it was audible before that.  When did they say that they would follow up with you?  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What did your doctor say?  Is your doctor concerned?

Honestly, that is your best resource for knowing if you should be worried or not.  A bunch of internet strangers with no medical training wouldn't know what's "normal" and what's "abnormal" except for anecdotes from their own experiences, or experiences of people they know.

For me, I wasn't even allowed to book an appointment until I hit 12 weeks with my OB/GYN's office, which was my first U/S and when we first heard the heartbeat, so unfortunately, I'm of no help.

Call your doctor.  Get an answer that might put your fears to rest. 

Good luck!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks. I see my Dr, 8 am tomorrow. I know it best to wait to hear from her I was just wondering if this was normal with other people. I was excited before we went in this AM but strange,now I feel bad like something bad has happened. Could just be a mix of hormones, past experiences and fears coming to surface.
  • Sending you good thoughts. 

From what I have read, the heartbeat starts right around the 6 week mark, so you are probably on the borderline of when you would be able to see it. I had my first u/s at 6w3d and we did see a heartbeat that day. 

FX for you. Hugs.

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• QOTRQOTR member
    Our first U/S was at 7 weeks, 2 days per LMP and we saw the HB then.  Baby was measuring at 7 weeks, 1 day.  If your dates are off and you really are at 6 weeks, it may very well be too early to see the HB.   I'm sorry for the worry - I hope your doctor can ease your mind tomorrow.  Best of luck to you!

Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • SD210SD210 member

I had an early ultrasound today at 5w, 5d and we could not see a heartbeat or really even see the baby (we could only see the gestational sack and the yolk sac).  My doctor wasn't at all worried and said that I was on target.  (The purpose of my ultrasound was to rule out an ectopic, as I am high risk, and that was ruled out, thankfully).  I go back in 2 weeks where hopefully we see a heartbeat.  Is it possible that you had a late ovulation?  That can make a difference in growth when compared to "weeks" of pregnancy (it is not always "one size fits all" when dating back to the day of your last period.)  Good luck!

• MCH77MCH77 member

I've never had a u/s until 8w, so I don't have any experience.  I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.  I wish the best for you. 

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

•  Do you have a follow up us scheduled? 

Hoping for the best for you!!
  • I was sent for an ultrasound for bleeding found out fibroids were the culprit of the bleeding which has stopped, they figured out I was 6 weeks 3 days measure under .443 and we saw the heartbeat, but then the u/s tech said that it was low, at 55 bpm they are sending me for another ultrasound in a week to see if it has improved. Now being on here I have seen people that have not seen a heartbeat till much later, so I am so confused this is our first and I am so worried, my primary who is also an OB said that heartbeat and closed cervix is a viable pregnancy. So I don't know thoughts anyone with similar issues???
  • carin04carin04 member
    I just had an u/s this week. I thought I was 7 weeks and found out that I measured 6w 1d (maybe late ovulation?) we did find a slow HB but dr says its early and he's not too concerned. Back in 2 weeks to check growth since we miscarried last time at 7.5 weeks
  • It's not just a question of when you can hear the heartbeat based on the baby's age. If your placenta is present in the front of your uterus, you won't hear the heartbeat until later when it's strong/large/loud enough to make it past that extra tissue. And, if you're not charting, you don't necessarily know when exactly you conceived. (For example, this cycle, I didn't O at my normal 15 days into my cycle-- despite a positive OPK and temp shift-- but instead O'd at day 30! That's a two week difference!) 

Hang in there. If you're worried, especially because of your age and history, you can ask your doctor about progesterone suppositories to help support the pregnancy until your own body starts really producing it at week 12/14. 

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"