Food Allergy

Allergy bracelets (tree nuts)?

I went back through a few pages of posts and didn't see any posts on this, so forgive me if this comes up frequently. My boys both have food allergies and I've been on here sporadically, but it's been a while.

I'm thinking about getting a new allergy bracelet for my son with a tree nut allergy. We had an Allerbling bracelet for him previously. He loved it and wore it constantly but it got lost a while back. After a recent reaction when he accidentally ate a tiny bite of something with walnuts, I want to get him a new one. May or may not get another Allerbling.

Two questions:
* What allergy bracelet would you all recommend?
* Do you think it's better to put "tree nut" allergy or to list specifically the ones he's allergic to (walnuts, cashews, pecans, pistachios)?
fraternal twin boys born january 2009

Re: Allergy bracelets (tree nuts)?

• We have Allermates since they're customizable. I think they only have tree nut, not specific nuts.
  • I bought an Allermates one the other day as well.  I've seen them online before, but I found them yesterday at my local CVS.  I bought a peanut and tree nut one.  They don't have customizable ones.  Personally I would prefer DS stay away from all nuts, regardless of which nut he's allergic to. 
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • macchiattomacchiatto member
    edited April 2014
    I bought an Allermates one the other day as well.  I've seen them online before, but I found them yesterday at my local CVS.  I bought a peanut and tree nut one.  They don't have customizable ones.  Personally I would prefer DS stay away from all nuts, regardless of which nut he's allergic to. 
    We were that way with my other son when he had his peanut allergy, especially since he was so young. But since he outgrew his peanut allergy his allergist said it's important to make sure he actually eats peanuts/PB on a somewhat regular basis or it would be possible to get re-sensitized to it. So we feed both boys peanuts--and almond butter since they passed the food challenge for that--once a week or so. When other people watch him, though, I just say "no tree nuts" rather than "no tree nuts except almonds ..." (My boys are 5 now.)
  • @macchiatto - Just curious at what age your son outgrew his peanut allergy? I know it's less common to outgrow peanuts but my son's IgE levels for peanuts are dropping slowly so I am holding out hope that he may outgrow his too. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• mrsannie said:
    @macchiatto - Just curious at what age your son outgrew his peanut allergy? I know it's less common to outgrow peanuts but my son's IgE levels for peanuts are dropping slowly so I am holding out hope that he may outgrow his too. 
    He actually outgrew it right around 2.5. He had tested positive for peanuts on both the skin and blood tests at 15m (so theoretically those *could* have both been false positives) but then at 2.5 he tested negative on the skin test and passed the food challenge, and has been eating PB ever since! He also outgrew his allergies to wheat, corn, strawberries and sesame. He had a lot of the risk factors for NOT outgrowing the peanut allergy (other food allergies, eczema, asthma, family Hx of all 3, etc.) so it was a very pleasant surprise.

Our other son (with the tree nut allergy) looks like he actually might be outgrowing his egg allergy now, too! It was fairly mild but he's had it since he was a toddler so that is another pleasant surprise. They turned 5 in January.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"