Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Baby hates diaper changes

My LO is 3 weeks old and absolutely hates having her diaper changed. Like she screams bloody murder when she's being changed. She also hates being wet or dirty, or naked. She cries so hard and gets so worked up she gets all this mucus in her chest. We tried a wipes warmer but that didn't make a difference. Doctor just says she will need to deal with it. Any other ideas? It's heart-wrenching...
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Baby hates diaper changes

• She will get used to it.... just be as quick as possible and have a bottle/boob ready.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks - I have discovered if I feed her first, sometimes she's in food coma, so nit as dramatic, but also to have boob/bottle ready to sooth after. But seriously, it is a dreaded (though necessary) event for everyone every time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • C is the same way.  He just doesn't like having his clothes removed, being naked, etc.  So yeah, he screams, but I know it's because of having his diaper changed and I know he'll stop crying as soon as I'm done, so I don't really worry about it.  I'm not worried about disturbing anybody else...they can just deal.

As for the mucus issue, have you tried using a nasal aspirator to remove it?  We have a NoseFrida and it works great.  We use it maybe twice a day, and it helps a lot.  Now it's not nearly as bad when he gets himself worked up.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do use an aspiration to remove the mucus but only when it comes up to her mouth, we were told to get it from the sides of her mouth, not down her throat. So most of the time the mucus is just in there and her breathing sounds like she's gurgling. Doesn't seem to bother her and her doctor said it wasn't a big deal unless she's choking or stops breathing, but it's pretty scary.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm in same boat but I'll play some music while ( loves song landslide -fleet wood Mac) doing diaper duty and he's calm! Lol
  • I wonder what she would do if you put her in a sleep sack?  We have a couple that are basically like long nightgowns with elastic at the bottom.  That's my favorite thing to put my dd in during the night, because she has sleeves, so she feels "dressed," but I just have to yank it up to change her diaper during the night.  That might make the undressing part of the diaper change a little quicker and easier than with pants or pajamas.

Here's a link, so you can see what I'm talking about.
    Mother to Emmy, born February 2014
  • I purchased a wipes warmer and that has seemed to help a bit with her not screaming so much during changes... I think it was just too cold. We have also had good luck with changing AFTER a feeding..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS was the same way. He hated being cold I think. I just learned to be as quick as possible and cover him up when I could. It is stressful - hopefully your LO will adjust soon.

• flclflcl member
    My DS was like that when he was just a few weeks old.  Now, he loves diaper changes (most of the time).  One of my friend's DS hated being cold during diaper changes... they would warm up the area with a  small space heater or a heating pad before changing him.  GL!
  • I keep her clothes on the top half of her body when I change her, so only her bottom half is naked. And I've become a pro at changing her in 60 seconds or less! Wipes warmer didn't really help, she still screamed, plus now we are off wipes due to diaper rash. Sometimes I try to change her when she's passed out, that helps but not always. I guess we are just hoping she'll get over it. I guess some babies really just don't like being changed (or naked at all)!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our little guy would scream at every diaper change until he was about a month old. Then our night and morning ones were ok and now by 10 weeks, more often than not he is a happy camper. The more I can distract him the better when he is awake.
  • Thanks - I have discovered if I feed her first, sometimes she's in food coma, so nit as dramatic, but also to have boob/bottle ready to sooth after. But seriously, it is a dreaded (though necessary) event for everyone every time.

This. That's what I always did with DS because he hated diaper changes and bathes. So I'd get him "fat and happy" before and it wasn't as bad.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Both of my kids hated it too at first. I'm convinced that babies like their wet diapers because they are probably warm and comfy to them (hey, they don't know any better!).  When you take it off they probably hate it because they get cold... they outgorw it pretty fast though. Not to worry!
    Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
    I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 
  • Our baby (now 5 wks old)did the same, he would cry which turned into gasping screams at every diaper change. We changed him in his crib even though he's sleeping with us in a cosleeper. Then I decided that maybe we should stop changing him in his crib so he wouldnt have unpleasant feelings about his room and the crib. We started changing him on our bed (about 2 wks ago) and he is as calm as can be! Now we have to figure out how to get him to enjoy bath time :-?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"