January 2015 Moms
Options

Vaccines and pregnancy

Who is planning on getting their vaccines updated? I am including a link to the CDC pregnant/vaccination webpage. I will discuss with my doctor of course, but assuming they agree I will be getting the flu vaccine (I do every year as I am immune compromised and have asthma), as well as getting a Whooping Cough (TDap) booster for myself, MH, and my IL's who plan to visit after the birth. It's horrifying that in this day and age we are seeing a resurgence of Whooping Cough, Measles, and now in the Middle East, freaking Polio is coming back, thanks to the people who listened to Jenny McCarthy and did not vaccinate their kids. Who takes medical advice from a Playboy model?!

Re: Vaccines and pregnancy

• Options
    Why don't you get the flu shot? I admit, this is a pet peeve of mine. It is true that the flu shot cannot protect against every strain of the flu, but as someone who is high risk, it scares me. While the average healthy person might contract the flu and shrug it off without too much trouble, someone like myself could easily be hospitalized over it. It's about protecting everyone, not just yourself. 

*I didn't mean that to sound snarky.
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to be snarky, just trying to point out that your getting the flu shot helps protect all of us. :) I got the swine flu several years back, right when the outbreak first started, and it was unbelievably bad, and I did wind up being hospitalized. I'm not sure if that one is approved for pregnancy or not. This is what the CDC says about the regular flu shot and pregnancy:

"It is safe, and very important, for a woman who is pregnant to receive the inactivated flu vaccine (also called the "flu shot"). Pregnant women who get the flu are at increased risk for severe illnesses from influenza and their babies are also at risk. Complications from the flu can include premature labor, babies that are small for gestational age, hospitalization, and, rarely, death. risk for serious complications and pregnant woman with flu also have a greater chance for serious problems for their unborn baby, including premature labor and delivery. Pregnant women can receive the flu shot at any time, during any trimester. In addition, because babies younger than 6 months are too young to receive flu vaccine, it is important that everyone who cares for your baby also get a flu vaccine. You should continue to get a yearly flu vaccine as the first and most important step in protecting you and your family against the flu."
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I get whatever is recommended.  Both H and I are required to get the flu shot as part of our jobs, we both work with children and have to.
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    I will get what my midwife tells me is necessary, but I really, really, really don't want the flu shot. 

I haven't had the shot or the flu in as long as I can remember. I understand thew whole "protecting everybody" thing, but when people get the flu shot and they STILL get the flu I kinda feel like its a total waste of time. I don't have a job where I interact with the public, I don't interact with kids, so I'm at a low risk to begin with for getting it.
    Jan15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fails
    TTC Since 4/13 | Me: 28 DH: 29 | DX: PCOS + High T + Arcuate Uterus (11/13)
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched
    Cycle #7 (3/14-4/14): Femara + Follistim + Estradiol + Pregnyl + Progesterone
    BFP: 4/22/14 | Due: 1/1/15 | TEAM BLUE!

• Options
    I will get what my midwife tells me is necessary, but I really, really, really don't want the flu shot. 

I haven't had the shot or the flu in as long as I can remember. I understand thew whole "protecting everybody" thing, but when people get the flu shot and they STILL get the flu I kinda feel like its a total waste of time. I don't have a job where I interact with the public, I don't interact with kids, so I'm at a low risk to begin with for getting it.
    I wouldn't get the flu shot if not required for my job. 
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    rmpar29rmpar29 member
    I get the shot every year.  I figure that it can't hurt and if it protects me from even one strain of the flu then it helps.  My OB insists that all of his patients get the shot.  I don't know what they'd do if someone said no.  Anyway, I think it's important to protect myself and my kids (current and developing) as much as possible.

That's just me though.  ;)
    TTC #3 since 8/2012 image
    DX Endometriosis 2/2002 (lost left tube due to a cyst), PCOS
    6/2010
     BFP - 10/18/2012, EDD - 6/26/2013, Baby Girl lost at 22 weeks (T21), D&E 2/15/2013
    BFP - 4/23/2014, EDD - 1/2/2015 Twin Boys lost at 12 weeks, M/C 6/25/2014

My chart here  All ALers welcome!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    June 3Missing Our January Snowflake
  • Options
    I'll get what is recommended. This past year was the first time in probably 10 or more years that I got the flu shot, and that was because of my job.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    YaMrWhiteYaMrWhite member
    edited May 2014
    I get the flu shot every year, pregnant or not. I haven't gotten sick since I started getting it. Woohoo!
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    rmpar29 said:
    I get the shot every year.  I figure that it can't hurt and if it protects me from even one strain of the flu then it helps.  My OB insists that all of his patients get the shot.  I don't know what they'd do if someone said no.  Anyway, I think it's important to protect myself and my kids (current and developing) as much as possible.

That's just me though.  ;)
    I am the same way exactly!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I did last time and if I need to this time I will as well. I also asked my parents and my husbands parents to get their TDaps, I am sure they are still good (I want to say they last 10 years). Either way I will double check, with this LO due in January and having what will be a 2.5 year old in daycare I am extremely worried about sickness, so I will be taking all the necessary percautions! 
  • Options
    I'm a photographer and I work with infants. I always have my shots up to date so I won't need to do anything different. 

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• Options

Good topic, I was just thinking of this the other day.  I normally do not get the Flu shot.  It seems the only 2 years I have ever had the flu were the 2 years I got the shot.  However, I may consider it this year, and any other vaccine my doctor recommends.  It is scary the outbreakes we are seeing these days. 

• Options
    Same here. Never gotten the flu shot before, but I if my midwife recommends it (or any other vaccine), than I certainly will. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
     EDD: 1/7/15 
    Me: 27 DH: 27 | TTC since Jan 14
  • Options
    I'll get whatever my OB insists on.... I don't usually get the flu shot, but if she thinks its a good idea this year while I'm pregnant I'll probably go ahead and get it, especially since baby will be born in winter.  DS will get it too of course.

I got the Tdap when I was in the hospital after giving birth to DS in Sept 2011 so it's probably still good right?

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Options
    I'll get whatever my OB insists on.... I don't usually get the flu shot, but if she thinks its a good idea this year while I'm pregnant I'll probably go ahead and get it, especially since baby will be born in winter.  DS will get it too of course.

I got the Tdap when I was in the hospital after giving birth to DS in Sept 2011 so it's probably still good right?
    I asked about this, because I got it when I was pregnant with my first (in 2012) and the nurse said they actually recommend you get it again while pregnant because it goes to the baby and protects them before they can get their shot at 6 months (?). But if your husband got it (like mine did while I was pregnant) he doesn't need to get it again.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Same here. Never gotten the flu shot before, but I if my midwife recommends it (or any other vaccine), than I certainly will. 

Never had a flu shot in my life and don't plan on getting one.  I have been a teacher, a coach and worked with kids for as long as I can remember and I think they have helped to build up my immune system:)  We get free flu shots through our school district, but I have still never had one.  Though I fear I have jinxed myself just by writing this!  During our recent house remodel, a nail went through my shoe, so I am up to date on my TDap now! 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I had my Tdap booster after DS2 was born, so it is up to date now.  Isn't it recommended for after pregnancy, not during?  That's what my OB did anyway.
    I do not get the flu shot, nor do my kids.  This year probably won't be any different.  While I am not opposed to vaccines, I am not entirely comfortable with them either.  We avoid the unneccessary ones (no, I'm not afraid of vaccines giving my kids autism....).  We do use a lot of natural immune boosters during winter, and my kids are very rarely sick.
  • Options
    TDap (whooping cough) vaccine is totally safe for pregnancy, and is actually recommended to receive during pregnancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"