Parenting
Options

UTI antibiotic question.

I have a nasty uti, diagnosed Tuesday. I was prescribed amoxicillin because I'm still nursing DD and the NP wasn't sure what was compatible, even though I pulled up infant risk and td her cipro would be fine.
I've been having really bad pain, cramping and back pain. I thought the meds would have helped by now? It's been about 40 hours or so since my first dose.

She did send it in for a culture and will change rx if something grows.

Should I call or just give the abx time?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage

Re: UTI antibiotic question.

• Options
    She did the back pounding thing and it didn't hurt. I guess that's a good sign?
    I don't have a fever or chills.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I used to get UTIs ALL.THE.DAMN.TIME. depending on how bad of an infection, cramping and back pain can be common. No fever or chills is a good thing, but if you're 40hrs into the abx, I'd just give them a call to be safe and make them aware. They may be able to switch you to something a little stronger.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    And speak of the fucking devil, I've felt like one is coming on since last night. Fml.

Hope you fell better soon. UTIs can DIAMFF.
  • Options
    I think some of the cramping is from my iud removal the same day. That thing was the devil. But the upper back pain isn't.

I think I had it for a few weeks at least. She made it sound like a pretty bad infection. DD has had several UTIs, but I don't remember having one before. My mom swears I have though.

I'll put a call in and update her. I also email Dr. Jack to see what he thinks about the appropriate abx.

@MrsT0514‌ I hope you aren't getting one. It really really sucks.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    @minervacullen‌ yeah, I'd think you'd need something stronger than amoxicillin. Like @Sundae13‌ mentioned, is augmentin an option? Or keflex? (though I'm not sure of interaction with this med and BFing).
  • Options
    Infant risk says augmentin is safe. I'm going to be one of those patients today ;)

imageimageimage
  • Options

Infant risk says augmentin is safe. I'm going to be one of those patients today ;)

Eh...no shame in that game. Especially with a UTI. Those fuckers are the devil itself. Quick to progress and damn painful!
  • Options
    *Comin out of lurkdom*

I'd be most concerned with the pain that you're getting in your back (flank) area. It is common for UTIs to cause kidney infections and once that happens, the infection spreads very quick. Antibiotics usually kick in between 24-48 hours. I know you're breastfeeding but it seems like you might need something stronger. Just make sure you don't have a fever or chills, nausea, or vomitting.

I had several UTIs and had a bacteria that became resistant to all oral antibiotics. I had 6 PICC lines and had to have IV antibiotics for months. Not trying to scare you at all but UTIs are no joke. Really hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    Totally call. You want to make sure this infection is not moving to your kidneys.

• Options
    Rxmom04Rxmom04 member
    If you called my pharmacy I'd tell you to give the doc a call. Did they give you any idea how long the culture would take? They may be ok with Cipro but depending on what grows it's not always as good as other meds for some of the normal UTI-causing bacteria. Fingers crossed you get a quick call back.
  • Options
    I used to work in the lab they send it to. They usually tell people 36-48 hours from when the lab gets it.

I called the office and left a message for the NP.

I am terrified of it moving to my kidneys. DD had that and she was so sick.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I've had UTI's that I had to try multiple different antibiotics for. It sucks but it sounds like you are on top of it. I am all for advocating for your health.

Our Little Raspberry Born 3/27/12
  • Options
    They called Cipro in.

I think a lot of the cramping is my uterus, I just got my first real af in over 2 years. That was quick after the iud removal.

Still, the flank pain is worrisome.

Thanks for helping!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    They called Cipro in. I think a lot of the cramping is my uterus, I just got my first real af in over 2 years. That was quick after the iud removal. Still, the flank pain is worrisome. Thanks for helping!
    If you end up with a fever I would be calling them back.  Hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    BankerBSN said:

They called Cipro in.

I think a lot of the cramping is my uterus, I just got my first real af in over 2 years. That was quick after the iud removal.

Still, the flank pain is worrisome.

Thanks for helping!

If you end up with a fever I would be calling them back.  Hope you feel better soon!

I will. I don't get fevers easily, even when I'm really sick. If I get one I'll know it's bad.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Rxmom04Rxmom04 member
    I'm glad they got back with you and made the change. I would keep a close eye on the flank pain and definitely let them know if it gets worse, does not get better or if you spike a fever. Not sure about if you are having trouble with painful urination too but Pyridium is Preg Cat B/unknown if it passes to breast milk. You could ask the MD's thoughts on that if you are having that kind of pain also.
  • Options
    GlAd they called cipro in for you. Plus, any UTI I've had during AF was known to be worse than ones ive had while not on my period.
  • Options
    I've had bactrum when I have had them. I had one go to my kidney and it is not fun, but the meds kicked in fast. Hope you get some relief quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"