April 2013 Moms
Options

High platelets

A couple of weeks ago, Braylee was running an off and on fever for a few days so we finally brought her in to urgent care (fever started on Thurs, we brought her Monday night).  After an hour and a half (catheder atempt and x-ray), we left being told she likely had a viral infection and to just ride it out.  The following Thursday (so 1 week after the fever started), it was still the same so we brought her in to her pedi.  Pedi checked her ears, did a strep test, x-ray, and drew blood.  Before we left, she said it looked like Braylee had RSV but would wait to confirm until the blood tests returned.  Friday AM, doc called and said her platelets were high (660 - normal range is 140-440) which would indicate a bacterial infection and started her on antibiotics.  We went back this last Thursday for a follow up (fever never returned after antibiotics were started) where they did a blood test again.  Well, her platelet count came back even higher -- 877.  We'll be going back in a few weeks to do another blood test. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm concerned because all of her other symptoms were gone, but her platelets still shot up after almost a week on meds.

My mom has thrombocythemia which causes high platelets, but it's not supposed to be hereditary. 

~10.23.10 - Mr&Mrs ~ 04.12.13 - Daddy&Mommy~

Every Super Star needs a Sidekick! Miss B. is being promoted to BIG SIS ~ January 2015!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Baby GIRL #2 is due Jan. 7, 2015!

Re: High platelets

• Options
    knitfaced said:
    Hopefully you get some answers soon. I wish I could be more help. Also , new Bump name, yes?

Yes! For privacy reasons, I wanted to remove my full name =)

Every Super Star needs a Sidekick! Miss B. is being promoted to BIG SIS ~ January 2015!

• Options
    Oh no... thinking about you and your family. Hope everything is okay!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Kate_CKate_C member
    FX you get answers soon and it's nothing serious. I had low platelets in pregnancy but am not familiar with high counts. Glad your docs appear to be very thorough!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! We're going back on June 2nd for a follow up blood test. Hopefully her numbers will be back to normal and all of my worry will have been for nothing :-).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"