Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

3 car seats across- question about center seat

Hi-

Everyone was so helpful regarding my babywearing question, I was hoping there is a car seat guru that can help me with this. I've tried searching carseat.org and can't find the answer. 

Here's the deal: We have a 2009 Subaru Outback wagon (that we love). Our twins are currently in Britax seats rear facing, but we've tried to install 2 Radians (forward facing since they will be turning 2 at the end of May) along with a Graco (Safe Seat?  I can't remember the specific name) rear facing for the new baby in the center spot.  All 3 fit and are secured. Our issue is once this baby outgrows the Graco car seat.  Can we use 3 Radians across with 1 being in the center seat.  I don't plan on forward facing the infant until s/he is at least 2 either.

We have a chance to buy a newer Subaru wagon, for basically the same monthly payment as we do now.  I'd like to jump on it, but if the car won't work for us in 2 years or so (when baby 3 is turned forward facing).

B/G twins born 5/12

Re: 3 car seats across- question about center seat

• Options
    3 Radians should definitely fit, especially if you currently have 2 and another brand of seat that fit. Just make sure they are independently tight. Radians are slimmest on the market. Any reason you've turned your two forward? Radians are great extended rear facing seats.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    You can definitely keep the twins RFing. Radians are great as PP stated. You also want to make sure if you are using LATCH that the you use the seat belt installation for the center seat unless it has seperate anchors, you can not borrow the anchors nor use anchors that are already being used.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rn8rn8 member

Thanks...sorry if it isn't clear, my question is:  if (in 2+ years) the "new baby" could be put in a Radian in the center seat forward facing.  The two Radians (for the twins) and the Graco will definitely fit now.  Thanks for the info regarding using the seat belt for the center seat tho.  I didn't realize that the center seat could not share anchors with the two outside seats.

The twins are rear facing now.  They will be age 2 at the end of May and I am due at the end of June.  We will keep them rear facing until we have to turn them.  We tried to place the Graco in the base in the center seat with the 2 Radians rear facing and it was pretty difficult to maneuver.  So, at least one of them will have to turn forward.  My son is taller and heavier so if we only switch one of them, it'll be him. 

B/G twins born 5/12

• Options
    You can always put the infant seat on what of the ends.  It doesn't have to be in the middle.  If you do end up switching a twin earlier, that one should be in the middle because they are more at risk than the rear facers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"