February 2014 Moms
Options

Reflux (Sorry if this is over-discussed)

I haven't been on TB much since baby was born but I have an issue I am looking for answers to. Anyone have a baby that had/has reflux? Charlie spits like its his full time job, but rarely does he seem upsetted by it. He just constantly spits, sometimes very large amounts. Dr. Has me on a diet free of dairy, eggs, fish, and nuts trying to determine if its an allergy. I've been doing it since Friday and the only difference we be seen is his eczema has pretty much cleared up, oy had not helped the spitting. Dr. Said I need to be on the diet for 48 hours for all the stuff to be out of my system, the internet seems to think 2-3 weeks. Any ideas? Suggestions? Experiences? Help!

Re: Reflux (Sorry if this is over-discussed)

• Options
    Is he gaining weight? Our pedi has said that if he's gaining weight and not in pain then its a laundry issue not a medical issue. DS is on reflux meds, but it doesn't stop the spit up. It just makes it not painful for him.

I'm obv not a doctor, but I don't think reflux is caused by certain foods. It's caused by the fact that the sphincter muscles are under developed in babies and let stomach acid back up. Most outgrow it on their own and changing your diet prob won't help the spitting up.
  • Options

He is a "happy spitter." Not usually make uncomfortable by it, and gaining weight. So frustrating!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our Ped said the same as keags.
    imageimage

• Options
    bem168bem168 member
    Ditto. LO spits up ALL the time. 30+ times per day. Gaining fine. Only a little bit bothered by it. We've done Zantac for 2 weeks- looks like we are moving on to Prevacid. I'm going dairy free- it will definitely take more than 48 hours. There is a lot of info on milk/ soy protein intolerance (mspi) on th food allergy board.

Our spit up situation is so bad that we have towels covering all furniture and hesitate to let anyone hold him- it's out of control. But doc isn't too worried. I just can't wrap my head around how so much spit up is within the realm of normal- so i know how frustrating it is!!
  • Options
    So glad I'm not alone! I am right with you bem168!
  • Options
    Unless it causes pain or weight gain problems, I don't think there is any cause for concern.  They will outgrow it.  My first was a spitter and it was like it disappeared over night- right around the time he mastered sitting I think.  Then I remember several months later he had a random spit up and his face was so stunned- like omg, how did THAT happen?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"