April 2013 Moms

Summer vacay?

What are your plans for the summer? Because if H and I don't go on a baby-free trip, I'm starting to think that our marriage won't make it. Kind of kidding, kind of. We need some adult time. 

We were going to go to the Caribbean until some unexpected expenses cropped up, and now I'm not sure anymore. Also, I'm scared to leave R because I've never left him for more than a night and I'm not ready to stop nursing.

Thoughts? Suggestions? What do you ladies have planned?
Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
Rhys - born 04.17.2013
Harry - born 04.18.2016

Re: Summer vacay?

• JSS1002JSS1002 member
    We don't have anything planned yet but I would also like to have a baby-free trip before baby 2 arrives.  Pinot, if you think you need it, you probably do and I think you'll have a wonderful time and come home feeling refreshed and renewed.  

We left James with my parents for a week when he was about 6-7 months old and went on a Vegas/Grand Canyon trip.  It was wonderful to not have to feed anybody, change any diapers, get as drunk as we wanted, lay around by the pool, sleep in, stay out late, eat a full meal with both hands, make out, have tons of sex (it was a TTC trip, although we didn't get pregnant until 2 months later), etc...it was wonderful.

As for where to go... you live in such a beautiful area, could you even escape to a vacation home for a few days?  Or if not carribean, go to FLorida or AZ or Cali or something?  Although frankly sometimes doing an all inclusive in Mexico is cheaper than all those options.  

I'm thinking we'll be low key for this little get-away since I am am pregnant, but about 6 months after baby, I'm hoping my parents will take the kids again and we can go do an all-inclusive or a cruise or something.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am still contemplating my first overnight without Warner. Oddly my husband needs more convincing than I do! We still need to get him to STTN so my parents don't want to kill themselves. Current weekend getaways (with baby) include Cape Cod, Charleston SC, Montreal, and Hilton Head NC
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Loading the player...
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    skidderdo said:
    I am still contemplating my first overnight without Warner. Oddly my husband needs more convincing than I do! We still need to get him to STTN so my parents don't want to kill themselves. Current weekend getaways (with baby) include Cape Cod, Charleston SC, Montreal, and Hilton Head NC
    Can't speak for anybody else of course but what my parents and other grandparents have told me is that it is okay if the baby is horrible / doesn't sleep through the night, because they are only doing it for a few days and want to help you -- they know there is an end in sight!  This is what a co-worker told me the other day about her own grandchildren when I was saying how bad I felt that LO had been terrible the night before for my mom.

She said "It's okay when that happens, because we know it is over soon."  Haha, I thought that was funny for some reason.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    I feel like a terrible mom now! We left Addi for the first time when she was 7 months to go to cabo for a wedding. Girlfriend, take yourself a trip. I know it's hard because we are moms and we would like to think it can't be done without us but for a short amount of time, it can be. Take some time for you and your H to get reconnected. Not only do you need it but you deserve it. I have left A overnight atleast 10 times (we have all 4 grandparents in town, that does make it easier) And we are going on a cruise this thanksgiving with my family and she I isn't coming. Would I love her to come?? Of course! But it doesn't make sense for us to spend that kind of money and not fully enjoy ourselves. At this age, trips mean absolutely nothing to them. But they definitely can put a damper on a nice vacation if it's not an appropriate place for them to be. I hope I didn't sound like a complete monster of a mom writing that
    If you are a monster I am too because I loved every second of my trip away from LO and have enjoyed the heck out of every night my parents have had him overnight!  My grandparents did that for my parents when my bro and I were kids - it's just how my family rolls!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have only left my 3yo for three nights (two when DD was born and one for an overnight with DH). I think we may go on a vacation with the kids and bring DH's mom so she can help and babysit a few times to give DH and I some time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are headed to Mexico in 2 weeks baby free. Hilton Head, Destin, Tybee Island, the Keys, a cruise are on our line up for the summer.

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• H really needs us to get away. Just an overnight will do. I'm not feeling it. I don't want to leave the kids (Phee nurses at night still). I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it soon. At least it doesn't have to be anywhere great, he just wants to have a bunch of sex without worrying about a child possibly hearing us.

We are going to North Carolina this August with the whole family and my 10 yo plays baseball, so we'll be traveling all over the Ohio Valley for games most of the summer.
    If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.-Douglas Adams
  • We don't have family nearby to watch Ashley. We have only had a freinds mom watch her for a few hours. It would be so nice just sleep.
    We have some weddings to go to. One in So CA and we are taking a week off to see friends along the way.
  • We are going on vacation next week (Destin and Orlando) with the baby so it probably won't be too relaxing. I'm hoping we can do a baby free vacay this year because our marriage needs it as well...doesn't even have to anywhere fancy, I just want to sleep in everyday and drink A LOT everynight!

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    Our goal is to do an overnight alone sometime this summer. We never did one before #2 arrived and I regret it. It doesn't make you a bad parent to need some time to yourself with your spouse. Marriages take a lot of work, particularly with little kids. Go enjoy a little time away together!
  • We've got a Chicago trip planned for Memorial Day weekend and we're heading to Indiana in June for my college reunion. We're also heading to Florida in July. We haven't had an overnight away from the girls yet so DH and I are currently trying to plan one for this summer. E is still nursing so I'm not quite ready to leave her for a longer period of time.

• All your vacations sound amazing; I'm jealous!!! This is going to maybe sound dumb, but I'm scared that if I leave for too long, Rhys will forget who I am/be weird when I come back. I would be heartbroken. And letting go of nursing has been really hard for me. I don't really want to be pumping 3x a day on our trip, but if I quit nursing/pumping, I'm going to be a hormonal mess! We are leaning towards 5ish days in Puerto Vallerta, all-inclusive.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • @pinottoparenthood‌ - just remember; there is only one mama!!!! And it's you :) if you're that nervous I would reccomend a quick weekend or even one night get away. @jss1002 is right- you will one back SO refreshed and be a better parent because of it.

Unfortunately the only vacay planned over here is a week renting a house with some on my in-laws :( not my choice....and we're spending way too much on this house. Plus, I am apparently the opposite and I'm a nervous wreck about traveling with her, and her sleep etc.

I would love a long weekend away just the two of us. If its not in the budget this summer, it's a pre-req before baby 2, whenever that time comes!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• @clgsquared‌ we are also getting a house on Lbi and bringing grandma.

Besides that I have my ten year college reunion in NH and we are bringing the baby.

Nothing by ourselves. Logan doesn't sleep and nurses all night so I can't leave him with someone else. Plus I don't think I'm ready for that yet.
  • edited May 2014
    rgrundon said:
    @ChicagoBroad26‌ where to in Hawai'i? We went for our honeymoon and talk/ joke (but more than half serious) about moving to Maui. I can't wait to go back.
    Lanai! It's one of the places we honeymoon'ed and we're really excited to spend a week there. The only thing on the island is the hotel! Maui is gorgeous- we love it there, too! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• love4blove4b member
    edited May 2014
    @chicagobroad26 - SOOO super jealous you're going to Lanai - as we've discussed before, Manele Bay is one of the most amazingly beautiful places on the planet.

Our summer plans have gotten completely mangled. We were supposed to be in France for the month of May, courtesy of my 91 year old grandmother, but at the last minute she decided she's not up for it. We were also supposed to go to the Cayman Islands and Puerto Rico courtesy of my husband's job, but both of those stories have gotten pushed to the Fall/Winter issues of his magazine, so they're not happening until Fall/Winter. We were also supposed to go to Malta for a friends wedding in August, but they've postponed for a year. 

B and I tagged along on my husband's work trip to Florida for the last few days, and with all my other  tropical prospects falling off the table, I booked Caneel Bay on St. John for our anniversary in August. We're also headed to Los Angeles in ten days to visit my family and then to Napa Valley for a week after that. I'm thinking of tagging along with my husband for his two week work trip to London in June, but the tickets are insane, so we'll see. We're also planning on driving to Grand Rapids, MI at some point this summer to visit friends who recently (sadly :( ) left NYC and to NC to visit my husband's family. 

Whew. Sorry, that was a novel :)

ETA: B will be with I'd for all of it - we have yet to leave her behind - but it works for us. If you feel like you need some time with just your husband, then do it. 

• No plans for this summer yet, but for every month that we get a negative pregnancy test we are doing a fancy date night in Minneapolis away from LO. Like pp said, it probably helps that we have 4 grandparents and two sets of aunts and uncles nearby that pretty much fight for the night with him. If you're not ready for a week away, maybe just try a weekend away locally that can be a date weekend for just you and your H.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • love4blove4b member
    @jthree - yay! I've never been and am looking forward to exploring. Our friends absolutely love it.

• JSS1002JSS1002 member
    arschm02 said:
    No plans for this summer yet, but for every month that we get a negative pregnancy test we are doing a fancy date night in Minneapolis away from LO. Like pp said, it probably helps that we have 4 grandparents and two sets of aunts and uncles nearby that pretty much fight for the night with him. If you're not ready for a week away, maybe just try a weekend away locally that can be a date weekend for just you and your H.
    If you need any hot date recommendations in Mpls let me know (I can't remember wherabouts you live!).  

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    @chicagobroad26 - SOOO super jealous you're going to Lanai - as we've discussed before, Manele Bay is one of the most amazingly beautiful places on the planet.

Our summer plans have gotten completely mangled. We were supposed to be in France for the month of May, courtesy of my 91 year old grandmother, but at the last minute she decided she's not up for it. We were also supposed to go to the Cayman Islands and Puerto Rico courtesy of my husband's job, but both of those stories have gotten pushed to the Fall/Winter issues of his magazine, so they're not happening until Fall/Winter. We were also supposed to go to Malta for a friends wedding in August, but they've postponed for a year. 

B and I tagged along on my husband's work trip to Florida for the last few days, and with all my other  tropical prospects falling off the table, I booked Caneel Bay on St. John for our anniversary in August. We're also headed to Los Angeles in ten days to visit my family and then to Napa Valley for a week after that. I'm thinking of tagging along with my husband for his two week work trip to London in June, but the tickets are insane, so we'll see. We're also planning on driving to Grand Rapids, MI at some point this summer to visit friends who recently (sadly :( ) left NYC and to NC to visit my husband's family. 

Whew. Sorry, that was a novel :)

ETA: B will be with I'd for all of it - we have yet to leave her behind - but it works for us. If you feel like you need some time with just your husband, then do it. 
    I would think thatw ould be a better time to go somewhere tropical anyway! 

It all sounds awesome.  I'm jealous.  I'll probably be in SFO and LA for work a few times, but that's it other than maybe a little pre-baby get-away!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"