Baby Names

Julia Louise... I'm thinking no? (And other combos)

MH and I recently decided we both like Julia. We really wanted to honor MIL with the MN, so we want to use Louise. Julia Louise sounds like Julia Louis-Dreyfus, which I think might bother me. It's too much, right? Or am I over-thinking? Is it just too much "L" sound regardless of the pop culture reference?

Other options to honor MIL or her mother: Ann, Elizabeth, Sara. I don't think I like any of those with Julia either.

We're also tossing around Eliza or Alice for first names, but again I don't think any of the 4 middle name options sound great. Maybe if we consider Eliza as tribute to Elizabeth, we could just pick a middle name that sounds good? Any suggestions?

Lay it on me.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Julia Louise... I'm thinking no? (And other combos)

• If it were me, I'd use Julia Louise. Unless your LN sounds very close to Dreyfus, I don't think anyone will even notice. The family significance would trump the minor pop culture reference for me.
  • I didn't think of it at all until you pointed it out. I hated Seinfeld though. :-S

• Loading the player...
  • I think that like someone else said...unless your last name starts with a "D" or sounds like "Dryfus" then you'd be ok.  Most people would just call her Julia,  Louise would be her family name that people that really knew her would call her.
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• I love it! I didn't think of that reference at all on my own. Even still I think it's no big deal.
  • Huh, thanks guys. I'm glad to be wrong :)

I just looked up Julia's popularity. Nationwide it's #65, in my state it's #32. Blah. It's still nice to have another serious contender for girls though.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • dmlk413dmlk413 member

I think Julia Louise sounds fine.  Great name btw!

My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I like Julia Louis.
  • I like it!
    "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." Maya Angelou
    ~ Auntie to L: 2013 and Peanut: EDD 11/2014 ~

• I like Julia Ann.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I really like Julia and think it sounds great with Louise. I say go for it :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • shannmshannm member
    I
    MauiBliss said:

I don't think Julia Louise is too much. I really like it. 

I agree

• momo21momo21 member
    I don't think the Julia Louis-Dreyfus reference is very noticeable. I say go for it! Julia is on our short list too.

Another idea - I would like to honor my mother, but she hates both her names (Louise is her middle). A friend suggested using Eloise instead, so we're (okay, I'm) tossing that around. Maybe that would work for you? Julia Eloise is a little bit of a mouthful, but it moves further away from the JLD reference.
  • I did think of Julia Louis-Dreyfus, but I don't think it's a big deal at all. I say use it if you like it. 

Fwiw, Julia is on my short list too. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Julia is on our short list as well. We r also having trouble picking a middle name.
  • I did immediately think Julia Louis-Dreyfus, but I did really like Seinfeld and currently love love love VEEP.

That said, I doubt this will ever be a thing because you really don't end up saying your kids first and middle names together very often (despite the effort we all may put into making sure they sound just right together).
  • DaisyZHDaisyZH member
    I like all three of your names, but if Julia Louise is your favorite and most meaningful choice you should go for it! Middle names don't come up very often and at least JLD is a funny, classy lady.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• My DD2 is Julia. We considered using Louise as her middle name since the name is on both sides of our family, but ultimately went with Faith. That said, we are using Clara Louise this time around for DD3. I say go for it!
  • My first thought was Seinfeld. I don't think I could do it if it were me - DH and I still sometimes watch reruns! - but I wouldn't side eye someone else using it. Probably wouldn't know the MN anyway.

FWIW, I think Julia Elizabeth is lovely and Julia Ann works even if it isn't great. I don't like the double a ending of Julia Sarah.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Julia Louise!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"