September 2013 Moms
Options

NBR Wedding decoration help

Our wedding is in September and I'm terrible at waiting, I've already gotten most of what we need including gifts for the bridal party and guest favors. I've bought some decorations and I'm looking to get the rest but I'm concerned that what I think is going to turn out really cool and beautiful is going to just be a mess and I need outside opinions, will you ladies be brutally honest?

Our ceremony will be out in the northwoods and the reception is at a historic train depot with tall grand ceilings and an open floor. Our wedding will have a rustic/vintage feel; long flowing green dresses for the girls and tuxes for the guys, burlap and lace, ivory and pearls, and natural birch and other woods.

So far, I have bought candle holders made of tree branches and rounds of wood for decorating and using as other candle bases or cupcake bases. I'm going to seal them with beeswax to prevent cracking but leave them pretty natural. What I'd like to do is add in some tall milk glass vases and other antique glass vases and maybe mix in some tea cups or even just saucers to add some color and pretty it up. Will that just be too much? Each table will have a different centerpiece so there wouldn't be 20 different things at each table but I'd like to mix it up. There will be a lot of flowers too, future MIL is a florist. I'd like to also do a mix of the big wood rounds with antique plates at varying heights for our cupcake display.

I've attached some pictures so you know what I'm saying. Strong honest opinions wanted, don't worry about hurting my feelings!

Re: NBR Wedding decoration help

• Options
    I love both ideas, but from the pictures I don't think they really go together. The candles lean towards super rustic, and the vases and cups go very much in the vintage elegant direction. Maybe find a way to tie in together a bit more? Or find a way to bring in the vintage but with more of a rustic edge?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    krose0713 I think it will help that we will be using lace and some touches of burlap throughout as well as a lot of flowers and succulents. I'm thinking that some of our candle holders will end up being used as vases so I think that might help? I wish I could find pictures of weddings that incorporate both but I'm having a hard time, everything I can find doesn't really show what I'm looking for and they are a little too "shabby chic" or "hipster" for my taste, lol. I really hope we can find a way to make it work together, I think I may have to play around at home and see what it really looks like.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lindszachary I like the idea of the "earthy" tones but I don't really like the look, especially since our reception space is very dark; dark floors and walls and tarnished brass accents that are a dark brown; and I really want to lighten it up. I think the darker colors might work better but then everything will be really dark and very heavy, that's why I was hoping to do some lighter pieces mixed in. I'm not sure though, you guys seem to have mixed reviews! I'll just have to see how they look when it all gets here and go from there.

And absolutely hate mason jars, it's done to death and I don't see anything cute about it. I'm sorry :)
  • Options
    @ilybeck I don't like mason jars either lol :p But a lot of people do! I see what you mean by needing something to brighten the tone. I think you should try to put some of it together on your dining room table and show us how it's going to come out!
    A LOT of people like mason jars, it's kind of odd to me. When I was picking out invitations there were a ton that had mason jar artwork on them, I don't even get that.

I really like the input but I think you're right, I'm just going to have to put some together and see how it looks. I'll definitely post pictures in the next few months and get more opinions :)
  • Options
    I also agree that don't see the woodsy candles and vintage milk jars, teapots go together. I like both looks but as separate looks. With that said, here's a few images that reminded me of the look you're describing. Maybe keep it clean with the milk glass and lace and candles and don't include the teacups because that's just one more look. 

Also this site may have some inspiration for ya: https://rusticweddingchic.com/real-vintage-style-weddings
  • Options
    AlejandraN2 yes, that's more what I'm looking for! And those flowers are very similar to what we will have. I agree, the teacups are too much but I think using muted china plates with the wood rounds on the cupcake table would look nice, at varying heights. What do you think of that idea? I think simple white/ivory plates with muted colors that will match our flowers would be okay and kind of tie into the milk glass... maybe?

Thank you for the ideas!
  • Options
    database6database6 member
    edited April 2014
    I love it. I would add some really tall floral arrangements since you are working with the high ceilings and to contrast all the lower pieces.

• Options
    I love it. I would add some really tall floral arrangements since you are working with the high ceilings and to contrast all the lower pieces.

***stuck in quote box***

I agree, my future MIL and I are going to get very tall clear or milk glass vases and put branches and flowers in them to give it some height. The candle holders I got range from 2" to 10" tall so it should look nice to have variety on that too. I have a place I can get the milk glass vases from and I was thinking of just perusing thrift stores for the plates and other tall vases. I actually have a ton of antique dishes and decor but I don't really want to bring them on a 3 hour car ride just to bring them all back home. 

It's a big deal in SO's family to give away the centerpieces at a wedding or raffle them off (seems goofy to me but about half the weddings I've been to have done this) so I don't want them to be something I really care about. Ugh, if they don't do that give away thing (because MIL knows I've been spending money on this and she'll feel bad for some reason) I'm going to be stuck with a TON of this stuff! Hopefully I can re-sell most of it!
  • Options
    llybeck yeah i think that would work really nicely! 
  • Options

You look very exciting, about the decoration and making your wedding truly a day to remember specially with the colors and combinations, including different centerpieces, I was at a wedding where I saw certain kind of decoration which was totally a dream wedding to have, When I checked out with them about the decoration I found out it was from sculptware including the variety of centerpieces. If you want you could check out with them.

• Options
    avaross09 said:

You look very exciting,
    about the decoration and making your wedding truly a day to remember specially
    with the colors and combinations, including different centerpieces, I was at a
    wedding where I saw certain kind of decoration which was totally a dream
    wedding to have, When I checked out with them about the decoration I found out
    it was from sculptware including the variety of centerpieces. If you want you
    could check out with them.

Uhhhh, hi?

OP, I'd just be careful that you don't clutter the tables up too much trying to incorporate all the decorations. I'm a huge fan of a well thought out and simple centerpiece.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    avaross09 said:

You look very exciting, about the decoration and making your wedding truly a day to remember specially with the colors and combinations, including different centerpieces, I was at a wedding where I saw certain kind of decoration which was totally a dream wedding to have, When I checked out with them about the decoration I found out it was from sculptware including the variety of centerpieces. If you want you could check out with them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Reported for solicitation.

imageimageimage

• Options

I was just at a wedding that was rustic chic. It was in an old barn, so that added the rustic element. The centerpieces were lanterns on square mirrors w/ clear diamonds scattered around. It sounds cheesy, but it looked really nice. There was also a burlap runner on the table.

What I LOVED was that they had vintange china for each place setting. It was all different and it was so adorable and charming. When I asked the bride about it, she said they acquired the plates from thrift stores, family and friends. Great idea!

imageimageimage

• Options
    llybeckllybeck member
    I'm so glad that I "look exciting"... so that's spam.

My future MIL (florist/decorator) and I got some things together that we discussed and it looked really great, I should have taken pictures but I didn't have my phone or anything! We are having 2 central things on each table and then variety with the rest. Varying heights and sizes but everything will still flow together and be small enough to look nice on the tables without being overwhelming. I can't wait until the actual day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"