May 2014 Moms
Options

Scary reflux situation

So I just woke up choking and gasping for air due to acid reflux. I couldn't catch my breath and I ended up getting sick. I'm sitting up now and it's a little better, but that was really scary. I've had some reflux all along but this was insane! Did this ever happen to anyone else?

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

Re: Scary reflux situation

• Options
    Thanks :( I've been taking Pepcid with dinner and Tums before bed, and sometimes I need a second round of Tums at some point diring the night, but this choking situation was new! I'm going to try and sleep sitting up once I settle back down tonight. If OWTs are any indication, this kid is going to be hairy as heck!

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    Sorry that happened to you!!! Hope you get some rest! And if that OWT is true this kid is going to come out looking like tangled!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ice cream will do it to me no matter the precautions I take. My dr said Zantac, & the max strength full dose is acceptable during pregnancy. Works way better than tums. You are allowed 2 pills & can take both at once so if I feel severe reflux is eminent & I haven't needed to take all day, I'll take the full dosage right before bed. Most of the time it works...
  • Options
    I second the Zantac. I couldn't survive without it. I try to take it every 12 hours whether I need it or not, as a preventative. The regular dose (75) is usually enough for me but I double up occasionally.
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    So far 8've stuck to tums but my Ob said to take Zantac if it gets bad.
  • Options
    Bootsie327Bootsie327 member
    edited May 2014
    Thanks so much guys! I know Zantac is stronger than Pepcid, so I think I will pick that up today just to try it.

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    BKD1386BKD1386 member
    Happened to me last night too.. but it usually happens 4 or 5 nights a week.  It's a horrible feeling!!  I've used tums with pepcid, and tums with zantac... nothing really helps for me.  I've had horrible heartburn from the 3rd month of my pregnancy, and acid reflux since the beginning of month 5.  I'm sooo over it!!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks again, everyone. Sorry this has been happening to a bunch if us but at least I know I'm not alone! It was really scary...DH didn't know how to help me and I was like gasping for air. I think I will try a different cocktail of antacids and maybe stick a third pillow under me to prop myself up more. Good luck everyone!

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    It's so weird! I have woken up choking and gasping a couple times. I take acid reducer an hour or so before bed and add a Tums right before bed to supplement.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    ns1ns1 member
    I agree with the zantac recs. I had a night like you did and immediately went from tums to zantac and they've helped much more.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    dwnsldedwnslde member
    I think I read some where that Tums can some times make it worse.
  • Options
    @dwnslde that is interesting!

At my appt today, my doctor said basically since I have a fully baked bun in there, it is safe to take any antacid at any strength to find what works, so I will def be upping the ante!

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    This happened to me too. I couldn't breathe correctly for at least a half hour. Now I drink a cup of 2% milk before going to bed, seems to soothe me/ reflux. And I keep tums on my night stand. Sorry you had to experience that, truly scary.
  • Options
    Welcome to my life. This has been happening for weeks now. If I drink any fluids before bed it's almost inevitable. Just have to try going to sleep sitting up. I can manage that if I'm really tired. It's happened during naps and multiple times in one night. I feel your pain girl. Not much longer!

It's a BOY

• Options
    This has happened to me twice and is so so scary. Papaya enzymes are the only thing that has helped me and I can actually sleep now.
  • Options
    @Bootsie327‌, sorry you're going through this. I'm up right now with reflux - crazy how a couple sips of water can set things off.

I've been taking zantac 2x day but have been having reflux so bad I'm vomiting a couple times a day. My MD put me on protonix this week, and I'm hoping that will help.

One suggestion: you may want to consider propping up your bed itself to keep you on an angle. Works better than pillows. Hang in there! LO's arrival will also solve the problem, so...the countdown is on.
  • Options
    I tried Zantac last night, and while I still had a little heartburn when I woke up to pee each time, I didn't have disgusting reflux, so definitely a little improvement. I also had three pillows under me instead of two which I think helped, too. Hang in there, ladies...LOs will be here soon!

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    hfooterhfooter member
    It really sucks :( I can't wait for this part to be over.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"