May 2014 Moms
Options

Rapid weight gain question

I went in for my 38 week check up and found out I had gained 12 lbs in the 6 days since my last appointment. The nurse even had me weigh again on another scale to make sure this was actually the case. Holy cow, if I didn't feel like a fat fat fatty before, I certainly do now. I had even been good about my food habits all week! The doctor was not concerned and said that it was likely due to water retention and can happen at this stage. So my super important question is: there's still ice cream in the freezer, should I go for it? Or should i get my fat ass off the couch and walk down 3 flights of stairs for a milkshake (exercise right)?

Re: Rapid weight gain question

• Options
    I gained 12 lbs in a month over Christmas.  I still didn't put the ice cream down lol.
  • Options
    I gained 12 lbs in a month over Christmas.  I still didn't put the ice cream down lol.
    Ditto this.
    imageimage">BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eat what you want!!! First your prego and deserve it. Second if your dr isn't concerned about the weight gain you shouldn't be either. It's getting warmer causing swelling and the later in pregnancy you get the more water you retain, plus baby could have had a growth spurt so don't worry about it!!
  • Options
    Jdub489Jdub489 member
    You ladies are great! I'm not concerned if my doc isn't concerned. And he didn't specify any habit changes I should work on (he is well aware of my ice cream habits lol). It was more of a philosophical question regarding lazy ice cream vs. effort ice cream. Personally, I'm leaning towards that I've already made a valiant effort leaving the house once today (we are on the 3rd story with no elevator) and that freezer ice cream isn't going to eat itself.
  • Options
    Go for it.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    lrmrtnlrmrtn member
    I gained 7 lbs in 2 weeks and no, I haven't changed my diet! My OB said its water retention, baby growth, placenta growth and other fluid. I'd personally go for the ice cream you have. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    Eat the ice cream. But then chase it with a gallon of water (unfortunately I'm not exaggerating) and keep active to help with the fluid retention.

The more water I drink, the more slowly my weight creeps up and the better I feel.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    Mmmmm..... Ice cream.
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I gained 11lbs in between my 39 and 40 week appt! Water retention. The midwife could even feel it in my stomach.
    I pray my water breaks in a controlled state. I'm imagining an epic water break!
  • Options
    Lizmullen said:
    I gained 11lbs in between my 39 and 40 week appt! Water retention. The midwife could even feel it in my stomach. I pray my water breaks in a controlled state. I'm imagining an epic water break!
    Hopefully you'll be wearing your rubber boots if an epic gush happens!
  • Options
    Krisd6Krisd6 member
    Eat the ice cream. You deserve it!
  • Options
    I gained 6 lbs since last week's appointment. After losing 3. I've gained well over the "ideal" amount and I just don't care!

It's a BOY

• Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    jsquaree said:

This happened to me, too! 11 lbs in two weeks, but I'm so swollen we're thinking it's water weight. MW actually said, "there's no way you could have eaten that much." Eat the ice cream.

It's pretty much physically impossible to eat that much, especially when you remember that 1 lb gained = 3500 calories retained, over and beyond what you use and burn off.

• Options
    Jdub489Jdub489 member
    @jenb_99 That's what I was thinking! For me that's an extra 42k calories in 6 days and there is absolutely no way i did that, even if i ate ice cream for every meal. I'm certain the doctor is right and it's just water retention. Ftr, I've eaten 2 bowls of ice cream since posting this earlier (and drank quite a bit of water) and feel fantastic!
  • Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    Jdub489 said:
    @jenb_99 That's what I was thinking! For me that's an extra 42k calories in 6 days and there is absolutely no way i did that, even if i ate ice cream for every meal. I'm certain the doctor is right and it's just water retention. Ftr, I've eaten 2 bowls of ice cream since posting this earlier (and drank quite a bit of water) and feel fantastic!
    If you could pack on that much real weight in 6 days, WWE and UFC would be begging you for your secret! lol

I always have to roll my eyes at non-pregnant weight-obsessed friends who moan and wail over "gaining" 2 lbs in a day.

• Options
    I gained 4 lbs in the same amount of time (6 days). My Doctor said the same thing.
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
  • Options
    I had gained 6 lbs between my 36 wk appt and my 37 wk appt today. I am excessively swollen though. :/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"