Food Allergy

Dairy questions

My youngest has pretty bad allergies and asthma.  I've read that dairy can cause some of this so we are going to try going dairy free.  I'm lactose intolerant but can handle small amounts of dairy so we don't have a ton in our house but we still eat it some.  What are some good alternatives for butter and cheese?  We've already switched him to almond milk and he loves it.  Now I'm trying to get rid of any dairy in my cooking.  Also, once we are completely dairy free, how long does it usually take to get out of their system?
Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

Re: Dairy questions

• The best cheese alternative I have found is Diya cheese. You can usually find it in the specialty foods section of most grocery stores or stores like whole foods or sprouts carry it. Earth balance makes a good spreadable butter and they also make good sticks that are good for baking.
    It takes 4-6 weeks for dairy to clear your system. Good luck! Once you get used to it is is pretty easy to manage!
  • Thanks for the help!  I was overwhelmed when we went gluten free but now it is manageable so I figure dairy free will be the same.  It just takes time to figure it all out.
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the help!  I was overwhelmed when we went gluten free but now it is manageable so I figure dairy free will be the same.  It just takes time to figure it all out.
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w

• PP gave you some good suggestions. Another tip- I can't remember which brand of butter it is but the unsalted sticks are dairy free. I want to say Fleishcman's, but double check me. I use it when I bake to make some of my recipes safe for DS. It really does get easier once you get the hang of things. And a lot more restaurants are getting more sensitive to allergies. DS is getting a dairy-free pizza with Daiya cheese from Mellow Mushroom tonight. :-)
    imageimage
  • I completely forgot about nutritional yeast.  We use that on our popcorn but I bet it would be great on other things too.
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w

• light52light52 member
    Thanks for the tips. Yes, we can have nuts.  We rarely eat pasta since going GF but I will keep that in mind as I love ricotta.
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w

• light52light52 member
    I wish we had a TJ's close but it is 3 hours away. I stock up when I am anywhere near it. We do buy some GF pasta but we just aren't a huge pasta family.
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w

• edited May 2014
    I never got into dairy free cheese, but always went with coconut yogurt, ice cream, and milk as needed for cooking/recipes, etc. We are nut allergic, too, though. I also loved earth balance spread for butter.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"