Northern California Babies
Options

Any recent experiences with Kaiser San Jose?

Hello!  As you can see in my signature, I have one daughter and just got a positive pregnancy test for baby #2.

DD was delivered at Kaiser Santa Clara/Homestead in 2012.  While she was healthy (and that's the best one can hope for - right!?), we were left a little dissatisfied with my labor/delivery.  Turns out DD was sunny side up, but nobody knew this until she was delivered via vacuum extraction after 4 hours of pushing.  We had a travelling nurse who lied about how long I'd been pushing to the doctor when he came around (she said it had been 1.5 hours), and I also had an anesthetician who wasn't supposed to be in labor and delivery adjust my epidural... poorly.  My birth plan really went out the window, and at certain points we had to answer needless questions (YES! We want immediate skin-to-skin - it's on the birth plan!)  While I really can't complain (again, totally healthy child to show for it all), I have been thinking about switching to San Jose because they have midwives on staff.  I think some of the issues that arose with DD wouldn't occur with midwives, although I could be wrong...

I hesitate to make the switch because I have vague recollections from when I was pregnant with DD of hearing that San Jose has shared rooms for mom/baby... meaning Dad can't stay the night, and I'd be really uncomfortable (I've been hospitalized with a shared room in the past, and would like to avoid it if possible).  

I've been surfing the web looking for input but most of what I'm finding is from several years ago.  I'd hate to judge their facilities based on staff that may no longer be there.

Thanks for any input!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Any recent experiences with Kaiser San Jose?

• Options
    @phdprocrastinator had my LO there (Dec '12) - had a great midwife who checked in on us from time to time & oversaw my care up until around 6 cms when the dr took over due to fetal heart rate decelerating which ultimatley led to csection. Had great epideral experience, a fantastic L&D nurse who was my main care giver from when we arrived around 1:30am through the post-op recovery room/bonding time around 11am. ... given that something unexpected occured, everyone was very calm and presented info in a straight forward yet sensitive manner and felt like we were in good hands. Due to going into surgery at a dr's shift change, had 2 ob/gyn drs working on us for the surgery - at least that waswhat they told me. Under normal birth circumstances, you probably won't see the dr unless you request it (assuming that the dr isn't dealing with an emergency). Otherwise, it is the midwife & nurses. The dr is monitiring everyone along with the nurses and midwives at the island in the middle of the rooms. When the dr came into our room, was with the midwife to check up on progress. Got the impression that they were a medical team (rather than being in advercial roles like have heard about in random national news media).

I didn't have much on my birth plan for preferences, but felt like my requests were listened to (don't know how much they looked at it in advance). Have friends who have friends that are nurses in that department & have a number of coworkers who also delivered there. All had positive experiences.

Rooms are single unless there is an overflow, then a few of the rooms have a second bed still set up. Look at their online tour. They have a NICU which helped eade my mind for those times when I'd have the what if thoughts. They have baby room-in with Mom & Dad assuming everyone is healthy & Dad can stay (fold out couch). We were told they still have a few rooms set up as doubles, & if they have to double some one up for a night, once a room is available, they'll get own room. Some bathrooms are shared (my L&D room had a shared bathroom). They talk up the post birth meal, the dessert was the best part IMO and was way too much food for just the two of us. Over night staffing of the mom & baby unit seemed like there could have used one more person, however was there over the 12-12-12 time frame so I don't know if they were more crowded than anticipated.... but we had our own room. Would definitly reccomend having a baby at Kaiser SJ (and have).

Was a bit of a challenge signing up for classes while pregnant) andthe scheduling windows seemed off for the classes, & the growth ultrasound. They were able to open up an appointment & get me in for the growth check within the specified window of time though.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you both for the input!  I have my first appointment at Santa Clara Friday morning, but I might still switch...  there's still time to decide.  

And yeah, I definitely know that the birth plan is just a guide rather than a stuck-in-stone plan.  I can see how my OP sounded like I was a birth plan Nazi :)  Mine was actually very flexible.  I just used the form Kaiser provided (the checklist about different preferences), and I liked that it spelled out different options for non-emergency things like doing the skin-to-skin or whether or not you planned to breast feed.  I guess the thing that was most annoying is that when it came time for skin-to-skin I was asked three times - at each time I said yes - and it was also on the darn birth plan!  We honestly don't think anyone ever looked at it, particularly my main nurse.  

Sadly, my hopes for hospital food are not high.  I've been in both O'Conner and Kaiser Santa Clara and could barely stomach the food at either.  

Decisions, decisions....

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    alibc123alibc123 member
    edited April 2014

I've seen a lot of other dr's at San Jose Kaiser and used to work there infact. My ob/gyn is actaully located there and I will get my first prenatal experience there next month though so stayed tuned.

PS...can anyone see my tickers??

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @alibc123 am on moible so cannot see any tickers ...
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @alibc123 I can see your tickers!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    And thanks!  Let me know how it goes :)

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards