April 2013 Moms

How many BF are still out there?

Are you still nursing through the night? How many times per day? How have you handled teething/sickness? Have you noticed your appetite is still above average?

My LO will be 14 months on the 18th and she still nurses on demand since I'm a SAHM. She likes it only from the tap and doesn't like cow's milk. I'm still nursing through the night (a lot when she's teething) and I'm really wondering if I will ever get a full night's sleep again. lol :) I finally got her to sleep in her bed again but it doesn't decrease the amount of times she's waking up. I guess you have to take what you can get.

DSC_0214

Re: How many BF are still out there?

• I am nursing! I work full time and am down to three nursing sessions a day and o pumping... Once in the morning, once at 3 pm when I pick him up, and once before bed. I stopped nursing him in the MOTN around 10 months as per our pediatrician's instructions and we have been sleeping a lot better around here since then. My appetite has slowed down a LOT since I've stopped pumping and cut back, thank god.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • edited May 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • KrisM86KrisM86 member
    We're nursing and going strong! Noah sleeps through the night probably 75% of the time now (though he often wakes around 5am, nurses and goes back to sleep for 1-2 hours.). If he does wake, it's usually around 3-4am and I nurse him back to sleep. He's a little guy (4th percentile) so I think he needs all the milk he can get!

During the day, I still nurse on demand which is usually 4-5 times a day: in the morning, before both naps, before bed and sometimes one random time.

We've given WCM a handful of times in a sippy and he drinks a bit. We will be giving it more consistently at meals starting this week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• KrisM86KrisM86 member
    Oh, and my appetite is sill crazy!

• Woop woop! Still nursing here. He will drink some cows milk but still prefers the breast. I haven't sleep through the night in forever. Although he just started sleeping in his own bed, he still wakes up 2-3 times to eat. I love the snuggles and bonding time but I'm not going to miss looking like a walking zombie. Oh and I eat more than my husband. Here's a question...has everyone gotten there period? I still haven't...not complaining but just curious.

• rgrundon said:
    @burneyonboard‌ ... no period here. I'm hoping to get knocked up before so I can keep going period free. Lol

no period here either. I also have an IUD though, so that might be why. I have had some spotting a few times.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I'm still nursing and am about 8 months pregnant so not sure which contributes more to my appetite.

I nurse about three times a day. She gets WCM at meals and I try to offer occasionally between meals when I think she might be thirsty. She's only taking about 8 ounces per day total.

I am not sure about weaning. I wouldn't even be considering it except the fact that there will be a newborn soon. It's hard enough to EBF a newborn. not sure I'm up for the challenge of tandem nursing with a toddler while recovering from a c-section. But I also don't want to force her to wean if she's not ready. It's a hard call.
  • danuli8danuli8 member
    edited May 2014
    We're still nursing. He feeds 5 or 6 times during the day but not at all at night. I do not respond to non-emergency crying before 6 AM once he has gone to bed. He sleeps through the night most of the time but teething seems to make him cry briefly (30 seconds or so) once or twice in the evening and once or twice in the early morning hours. It still wakes me up and sometimes I have a hard time getting back to sleep.

ETA: Oh, no period here either. It can stay away forever as far as I'm concerned.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Still nursing here, but mostly pumping since I work full time, during the weekend he nurses first thing I the morning twice during the day and once before bed. Since getting my BFP my supply has tanked though, but we are working on weaning anyways so it sort of works out
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm nursing on average 4x a day and 2-3x overnight. She's been teething and now has a cold, so sometimes I think she's just permanently attached all night long. I stopped pumping a couple weeks ago, so she gets 2% milk for the 2 days I work, if she drinks any milk at all.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13

• We are still nursing. Still in the process of trying to wean down to 2 times/day-morning and bedtime. I work twice/week, but when we are together, we nurse about 4 times per day. WCM with meals.  I've gotten my period 3 times, but very irregular. like 6-8 weeks in-between. We are TTC so I'd love for my period to regulate...hopefully cutting back on nursing sessions with help with that. I would ideally like to continue nursing until 2ish. My appetite is average, never really felt like it increased even when pregnant. DS hasn't had many problems with teething. He generally sleeps through the night, but when he is teething (like now) he will wake up once around 2 and he nurses and goes back to bed very easily.  He never really nurses to sleep, but will nurse and then sign "all done." Then he will lay back down.  I'm very thankful to be able to comfort him with nursing which is one reason I want to continue.  

Married July 2008.  TTC 2010.
    Stephen James born 4/24/13 after 27 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing!
    Due with #2   4/16/15

• Still nursing. I don't know exactly how often, but definitely every morning and almost every night as well as a few times during the day. No overnight feeding unless she wakes up (which is rare). She refuses to drink cow's milk (she'll take a sippy cup, but only if it's water), so I don't mind continuing with breastfeeding for as long as she wants.
    I am trying to stop nursing her to sleep though because I'm worried about tooth decay; anyone else still nursing to sleep? How on earth do you break that habit?

I got my period back five weeks after giving birth; I'm either extremely unlucky, or two weeks of formula supplementing was enough to nullify the "breastfeeding=no period" thing. :(
    Anniversary  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KrisM86 said:

We're nursing and going strong! Noah sleeps through the night probably 75% of the time now (though he often wakes around 5am, nurses and goes back to sleep for 1-2 hours.). If he does wake, it's usually around 3-4am and I nurse him back to sleep. He's a little guy (4th percentile) so I think he needs all the milk he can get!

During the day, I still nurse on demand which is usually 4-5 times a day: in the morning, before both naps, before bed and sometimes one random time.

We've given WCM a handful of times in a sippy and he drinks a bit. We will be giving it more consistently at meals starting this week.

This is pretty much our exact schedule. She's been teething so she's been doing quite a bit of comfort nursing lately.

She gets a sippy cup of almond milk with meals but isn't overly interested in it and I'm fine with that. She drinks an ounce, maybe two during meals.

Just got my first PP period this week. Hopefully it will make TTC easier now!

• I got my period back last month, so right at 12 months this time. I got it back at 7 months pp with DD1 (nursed to 3y2m) and 10 months pp with DD2 (nursed to 2y3m).
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • katie6/26/04katie6/26/04 member
    edited May 2014
    Yes, still nursing a lot during the day. She generally sleeps through the night.She just started getting teeth and only has 2, so not sure how much teething will impact. I have decided to keep pumping 1x day most days at work just to make sure my supply doesn't plummet since i feel like when i stoped pumping with ds he self weaned shortly after. I'm not planning to stop soon, but I'll just keep following her lead.
  • Nursing in the mornings, after work and before bed. So approximately 3x a day. He has 6 teeth, working on two more and I think two molars. He's been STTN since Feb after we did CIO and stopped the nighttime feedings. Though now that we are in teething helll he is waking up multiple times a night, it's so tempting to give him the boob but I don't want my supply to start up again at night. Last night he was particularly insistent so I broke down and gave him a bottle with water in it and that seemed to be good enough. He's been on cows milk since just before 1 and has had no problem with it at all, yay! No plans to stop the nursing sessions before/after work until he is ready. I'm just glad to not have to pump during work and nurse/pump at night.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a sahm too, nursing on demand, but not offering as proactively as before. I nurse around 8 times a day and usually 1-3 times overnight, but I'm planning on cutting back in that this week. She can and does occasionally sleep through the night. I have given wcm and almond milk on occasion, and actually tried some today in the straw cup and she seemed to get too much at once and dribbled it every where so we need to work on that.

She usually nurses more and eats less solids when teething.
    ~Eme's mama, SAHM, BF, BLW, CD~

• Still nursing 3x per day, before each nap and before bed.  We also nurse MANY times per night.  Every 1-2 hours the past few weeks.  We tried to cut back two months ago but then it was teeth, sick, teeth so we are going to try again in earnest.  STTN would be a dream but getting down to one wake up per night would still be amazing.  I have not gotten my period and I would like to start ttc soon so I hope that night weaning will bring it back.  Any night weaning tips from those that have done it?  

Also - I am still ravenous.  
  • trying to stop nursing her to sleep though because I'm worried about tooth decay; anyone else still nursing to sleep? How on earth do you break that habit?

@bibliophileemily‌
    From what I've read you don't have to worry about tooth decay with breast feeding. Something about the placement of the nipple in the mouth and the milk isn't left on the teeth I believe. There is some good info on kellymom, I'm on my phone or id try to link it.

Due with #2   4/16/15

• trying to stop nursing her to sleep though because I'm worried about tooth decay; anyone else still nursing to sleep? How on earth do you break that habit?
    @bibliophileemily‌ From what I've read you don't have to worry about tooth decay with breast feeding. Something about the placement of the nipple in the mouth and the milk isn't left on the teeth I believe. There is some good info on kellymom, I'm on my phone or id try to link it.
    I agree with @aprillomom  I've read that it's residual food particles that cause tooth decay not breast milk alone.  So if you brush your LO's teeth after their last meal breastfeeding through the night should not create a problem.  
  • Cows milk during the day, nursing to sleep and then anywhere between 1-247 times during the night.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Married July 2008.  TTC 2010.
    Due with #2   4/16/15

• Lhyacinth888Lhyacinth888 member
    edited May 2014
    We're still nursing 3-4 times a day. I'm in the process of making it 3 times. DD doesn't nurse at night. My appetite is still pretty big. I have had my period for about 3 months now and definitely notice a drop in supply and more fussiness from her. She drinks about 10 oz of cow's milk per day.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I still nurse at least 4 times a day. Phee nurses when she wakes up, when she goes down for a nap, and at night. We bed share so she'll dream feed at least once most nights.
    I can't get Phoebe to drink anything but water from a cup. I thought using breast milk in a cup and working toward wcm would maybe work but no. I've tried everything. Doc said not to worry because she doesn't need to drink milk. We offer yogurt, etc.
    If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.-Douglas Adams
  • Claire weaned herself from the boob at 11 months...Ive been pumping 3 x day since then. But I'm done with that BS on Wednesday when she turns one. She gets bottles at nap/bedtime, and sippy cups of milk at other times.We just started mixing in wcm with her breastmilk. We will do that for awhile, mostly to use up my large stash of breastmilk. My appetite has really decreased, and I've lost 10 lbs since she weaned herself. Im one of the unlucky ones that holds on to weight while nursing.
  • Jdubb13 said:

I'm so impressed ladies! I was unsuccessful with Carter and it still makes me horribly sad, but I'm excited to try again with baby girl. Any advice?

ETA word

@jdubb13 So sorry you weren't able to nurse Carter :-( I am lucky that I had very few struggles so I'm probably not the best person to give advice... but I think that constant skin to skin and nursing as much as possible at the beginning really helped us to be successful. I also nursed him right away after he was born and  Ihad a lot of awesome support staff at the hospital to help me with his latch, etc. But honestly, I can't really take the credit... R was just a great nurser from the get-go. Hope you'll be able to do it this time around! It really is the most amazing and rewarding thing.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Jdubb13 said:

I'm so impressed ladies! I was unsuccessful with Carter and it still makes me horribly sad, but I'm excited to try again with baby girl. Any advice?

ETA word

My advice:
    • get the help you need, but follow your own instincts
    • do as much as you can, but give yourself a break
    Also, formula isn't the enemy. I had to supplement in the beginning because of dehydration, and even though experts will say that's the fastest way to sabotage your supply, I actually think it saved me and my ability to breastfeed because I could take my time nursing without worrying if she was getting enough or if I had the proper technique, and she wasn't desperately hungry so she wasn't as easily frustrated. Good luck!
    Anniversary  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I lucked out with a "champion breastfeeder" as the staff at the hospital called him. We had very few obstacles so I guess I can't give much advice. But I have heard over and over again that each breastfeeding experience is different! So maybe your next one will catch on quickly. 
    What did help me was reading a lot. Not so much studying...but I would read a lot on Kellymom. and Kellymom has a fb page where moms ask all kinds of questions and then other breastfeeding moms answer with their experience. It helped me a lot to know what kind of problems where out there (tongue/lip tie, low supply, over supply, overactive letdown, poor latch, etc) and to not be so intimidated by them. Also my pedi office has a on staff LC who was very helpful and so supportive.

Good luck!!
    Due with #2   4/16/15

• Me! DD is nursing on demand, but mainly only as a meal when she wakes up. She snacks and nurses to sleep throughout the day. Teething isn't tooooo bad, but a bad latch is killer now!
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • Jdubb13 said:

ETA word

@jdubb13 So sorry you weren't able to nurse Carter :-( I am lucky that I had very few struggles so I'm probably not the best person to give advice... but I think that constant skin to skin and nursing as much as possible at the beginning really helped us to be successful. I also nursed him right away after he was born and  Ihad a lot of awesome support staff at the hospital to help me with his latch, etc. But honestly, I can't really take the credit... R was just a great nurser from the get-go. Hope you'll be able to do it this time around! It really is the most amazing and rewarding thing.
    This was us too, excellent nurse staff. I paged them so many times because I couldn't get LO to latch. They were really supportive and helpful. The way the slapped that baby onto my breast and had him latching, it was no trouble to tell they were old pros :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're still nursing. Maybe 6-8 times plus motn. It's weird to think I'm nursing a toddler. I never thought we would still be going strong. With my first i stopped at 5 months. And at that point he was basically formula fed and supplemented with bm. But breastfeeding with Casey had been a whole different experience... I was more confident, more willing to ask for help, and I just focused more on nursing than pumping. We did a whole lot of babywearing and my toddler watch a whole lot of tv in the beginning. If you didn't succeed with your first totally try again.

What's cute now is Casey will drag the boppy over when he wants to nurse.

The bf board has an extended breastfeeding check in on Wednesdays. It's nice to connect with others and ask questions/get advice. I recommend it!

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Jdubb13 said:

ETA word

I'm sorry you weren't able to nurse. I had issues with my milk when LO was first born. Our hospital offered one on one appt with lactation and it was the best decision I ever made. She spent 2 hours giving me advice that personally helped with my baby. She even helped him latch on the right way. DH enjoyed it too. Advice is great but it really helps if you have someone help and show you.

• I had two babies who latched on well and nursed great from the start. DD3 was my most difficult. She was often fussy about which hold I was using when I tried to latch her. She'd get lazy and fall asleep at the breast. She didn't gain weight well either. If she had been my first, I think we would have really struggled. What worked best for her was just attempt to nurse often (at least every 2 hours) and keep trying different positions when she got fussy. I did do some pumping after nursing with her but quit that pretty early. #1, it was tough to pump with a 2.5 yo and a fussy baby, and #2, if I gave her pumped milk, she just went longer btwn feedings, and thus didn't actually get any more milk. So I guess my best advice is to nurse often and get help with latching if you need it.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I actually pumped for the last time 2 days ago. I planned on still nursing at night but Mason doesn't seem very interested. I feel very full today since I haven't pumped and Mason slept though the night last night. I really wanted to wean since I'm 21 week pregnant and wanted some of my body back before I will start nursing again. Mason self weaned from day time nursing a month or so ago. :-(
  • This is awesome! You ladies rock. :) Raz was a preterm baby 36 weeks 4 days and she was sleepy. She would latch and then fall asleep. I had to pump and then bottle feed her. I did this for a few days and then I had a lactation consultant come by and she introduced me to the nipple shield. I never had so many people touch and look at my boobs in my life. The nurses at the hospital kept trying but it just didn't work. I then saw a second lactation consultant (the one I met at the hospital who gave a course on breast feeding) and by the time i had the appt my baby was nursing like a champ). It was by no means easy but I am stubborn and didn't give up. Since the switch my daughter would not take a bottle, and all the hell we went through at the beginning, I really don't care that she only wants it from the tap. Any tips on night weaning? That's my next hump. I'm pretty much letting her self wean in general but I would love to have some sleep :) I keep going back and forth as to what I should do.
    DSC_0214
  • still nursing on demand. introduced soy milk...he loves it. almond coconut milk, not so much. 
    i wish he would sleep through the night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"