Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

After surgery pooping question.

Alright,

Elliot had surgery on his spinal canal April 25, 2014.
We came home from the hospital on April 29, 2014.
We had to stay a few extra days because he wasn't pooping really at all, and he was struggling with the eating thing.
Most of  the problem seemed to be the narcotics he was on, and once we got him off of those and just on regular tylenol, he did much better.

My question is; now that we have been home a while, the little guy has been pooping non stop. By non stop, I mean I have changed 5 (loaded) diapers in the past 4 hours. That's a lot. He usually goes after every feeding, but now it's like he just poops constantly. 

I know as a newborn, changes in pooping habits can be a sign of infection, but idk about 11 (almost 12) month olds. 

Any advice?

We will probably be calling the pediatrician in the morning. 

If it's not one thing it's another (always that way when Finals are going on at school).

Re: After surgery pooping question.

• Options
    I have no advice, but I would call the pedi too. That sounds like he's going an awful lot.
  • Options
    It really is unusual for him. I'm used to 3 poopy diapers a day, not 5 within 4 hours. 

I did expect it for a couple days after because of all the stool softeners he was on to get him to poop in the hospital, but once it passed 2 days I had enough. His system can't be full anymore...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is the stool normal color? The reason I ask is if it were say a super yellow color, he may have a virus! Also, stools softeners can still have an affect 24 hours after taking them or possibly longer. If he was bunged up with slow GI tract movement it could take much longer for the medications to take affect. Good luck!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    It's normal varying colors depending on what he has eaten. He hasn't had a stool softener since Tuesday morning, so I do feel like it's no longer that. 

I will definitely call the pediatrician and see if they have an idea for me, or some advice on how to get him back to his norm, but odds are she's going to tell me to call the neurosurgeon and talk to them. (It's just way easier to get ahold of my pediatrician).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"