Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Little Man is having Surgery

We found a dimple on my sons butt a while back. My pediatrician scheduled a MRI for him (which seemed to never come) to have it looked at. All of us, including the pediatrician, thought it would be nothing crazy. 
We were told we had to go to a neurosurgeon to discuss our options. He informed us that the Filum Terminale was pulling down on my sons spinal cord. If we don't do the surgery, he probably will not be able to walk on his own, or use the bathroom. So, he will be having surgery. 
The surgery is pretty simple. They're going to cut open his back just a little, and go between the vertebrae and snip the Filum so it won't pull anymore. 
That is supposed to fix it, and hopefully it does.
I'm not looking forward to seeing my little guy in the hospital, but I can't wait for it all to over and done with.

He also has a heart murmur, so we will be seeing the cardiologist about that on April 9. He needs to be cleared in order to be put to sleep for his surgery.

I've been trying to stay as positive as possible.
But honestly, it's tough.

Re: Little Man is having Surgery

• Hope everything goes well with your LO. 
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • Thanks! 

I'm just glad they figured out what was wrong before any nerve damage!
  • Loading the player...
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    Hope everything works out!
  • wow, good for you for noticing!!! what made you think to mention the dimple?
  • My oldest has the dimple as well but the ultrasound didn't show a tether. We have however been through kidney surgery and I just wanted to share that babies are super resilient and recover quickly. Good luck!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Awe, poor little guy. I'm glad you caught it in time. I'm sure he will recover very quickly! Probably tougher on you than him. Good luck!

• I'm praying for you and your family!
  • My thoughts and prayers are with your little guy and your family! Hugs! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Wow, I haven't been at the computer in forever!
    Just wanted to say thank you everyone! His surgery went smoothly for the most part.
    We had to stay a few extra days since he wouldn't poop and was having a bit rough of a time keeping all his food in his belly.

But, Neurosurgeon said the surgery went well and all should be good. 

We go back in 6 weeks for a post-op appointment and hopefully the "all is well" stays all is well. 
    :) 

I do have one concern now that I am home with his pooping habits, so I will be calling the pediatrician tomorrow. (If you're interested in knowing, I will be posting about it in a few minutes).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"