December 2014 Moms
Options

Taking medication

Does anyone else have to take prescription medication while pregnant? I have to take a once a day pill called singulair for my asthma. I am in my first trimester and it worries me to have to take any medicine. But I talked with my dr and she advised me to stay in it. Anyone else taking singulair or other medications while pregnant??

Re: Taking medication

• Options
    I take synthroid once a day for my thyroid.  I actually HAVE to take it especially when pregnant because it could cause a m/c if I didn't.  With that said, the worst part is that I have to take it with water only when I 1st get up and wait 1 hour to eat anything.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Not a prescription...but I take Zyrtec everyday. I have terrible allergies and if I miss one day I feel like my skin is crawling and I have trouble breathing (even in the dead of winter!)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have to take keppra for complex partial seizures. Both my neurologist and OB say firmly to stay on it and I have 5mg prescription folic acid to take along with it. It worries me but the OB says it's the best thing.

I think it makes everything a little scarier, though... But I think if you were on a medicine that was significantly risky the doctor would take you off immediately. I was actually on an NSAID as well for inflammatory arthritis and I was taken off that as soon as I knew I might be pg.
  • Options
    I take prednisone daily for my RA, and I was taking Enbrel the first two weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Now that I'm pregnant, my RA symptoms are pretty much gone (this happened with my first pregnancy), and I don't need any of the medicines. I discontinued Enbrel, but you can't stop Prednisone cold turkey, so I'm slowly weaning off of it. 
    Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• Options
    I was on celexa and lamictal, cut them both cold turkey when I got the positive POAS a month ago, but I can't function. First OB appt Friday. Will go back on meds. Since mental health effects physical, it's better for the baby for me to be on meds than continue experimenting with natural remedies.
    D14 June. Favorite TV Dad(s).image
    12/31/13: BF Proposes
    2/14: First month off OCP, cuz, hey, why not? He put a ring on it.
    3/31/14: POAS: BFP!
    6/21/14: It only looks like a shotgun wedding.
    12/09/14: EDD

Why just plan a wedding when you can plan a baby AND a wedding?
  • Options
    I'm on Zoloft.  I got off two other medications (I have OCD-- legitimately, not like annoying people who say "omg, I am SO OCD!).  I am miserable without the two medications I stopped taking and my doctor said it would do more harm than good to stop taking Zoloft.
    This 100% . No, 1000% actually.  I did go off my zoloft in my first pregnancy only to be put back on at 22 weeks after a hospital stay for a nervous breakdown. Will NOT be going off this time. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Joanna (30) Michael (31) 
    Twin sons born June 2009 after 1 Year ART, 
    Anthony and Brandon 6/25/09 
    Trying for #3 for 2 years
    IUI #10- BFP! m/c 2/23/2014 

• Options
    Singulair is a Pregnancy Category B medication.  That means it has been tested on animals (not people, obviously because they rarely test meds on pregnant women), and hasn't shown any evidence of harm.  Every medication has this categorization.  You can check the insert with the med for details. Other drugs with Category C risks show some possible adverse reactions.  Category D have been tested in pregnant women and show a fetal risk but treatment is continued when benefit to mom outweigh risk to baby, and Category X drugs should never be used in pregnant women. 
  • Options
    I'm on Buspar for anxiety.  I've been on anxiety medication for over 6 years now, and definitely function a LOT better with some help from medication. I'll continue to take it while pregnant and breastfeeding.  It's considered safe.
    Me: 34 - PCOS | DH: 30 - everything looks good!
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    March 2014 - 1st medicated cycle - 5mg Femara CD 3-7 = BFP! EDD 12/26/14

It's a boy!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm on Effexor right now and they have started to switch me to Zoloft. It's been rough trying to change meds but I want to do the right thing for the baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"