Natural Birth

Intro and Doula Question

Hello Everyone,
I am due in July with our first child. We don't have the funds to hire a Doula but I was able to find an apprentice Doula who would attend our birth for the experience. We are meeting with her next week and I just wanted to see what questions you would suggest that I ask her. 

Re: Intro and Doula Question

• Welcome! For me it was all about the vibes I got from the doula. This woman was going to see me when I was weak, vulnerable, and emotional. I wanted someone that I felt comfortable with and who I felt like their personality would mesh well with my H and I. Honestly, we never really looked at the number of births or the stats she had. The big question I had for my doula was how she would handle me when I thought I could no longer do it. I wanted someone who would be strong and positive especially when I was doubting myself. The doula we choose gave me a straightforward answer which I liked. Our doula was amazing in my birth and really made it a peaceful, calm experience. We attribute a lot of our birth to her. She got me into good positions for my OP baby, she had me request a natural birth friendly nurse she knew at the hospital, and helped me deal with car contractions. She was worth her weight in gold!
  • aylafsu88 said:
    Welcome! For me it was all about the vibes I got from the doula. This woman was going to see me when I was weak, vulnerable, and emotional. I wanted someone that I felt comfortable with and who I felt like their personality would mesh well with my H and I. Honestly, we never really looked at the number of births or the stats she had. The big question I had for my doula was how she would handle me when I thought I could no longer do it. I wanted someone who would be strong and positive especially when I was doubting myself. The doula we choose gave me a straightforward answer which I liked. Our doula was amazing in my birth and really made it a peaceful, calm experience. We attribute a lot of our birth to her. She got me into good positions for my OP baby, she had me request a natural birth friendly nurse she knew at the hospital, and helped me deal with car contractions. She was worth her weight in gold!
    Thank you, that's good to know. I guess I'm just a little nervous because Iv'e never done any of this before!

• Loading the player...
  • I would just ask her what her philosophy on birth is, what services she will provide you with, what sort of coping techniques she will help you with. Also you can ask her why she decided to become a doula...if she's had children ask about the births.  I interviewed 2 doulas, and basically just talked to them, told them my situation and concerns and asked them those questions and how many births they had attended, if they had attended at my hospital, etc. 

The conversation should flow pretty well if she is the one for you!

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
    BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

• I actually never met my doula before my birth, I used a volunteer doula service through my hospital so I am not sure what to ask really. It was a little awkward for about a minute because she got there when I was laboring in the tub, but she jumped right in with some helpful suggestions and was wonderful. But I agree with previous posters that you should just feel comfortable with her. Just having a conversation and sharing your questions and concerns and seeing how she answers. As long as you think you can vibe with her I think it will work!
    TTC since August 2009
    Clomid for 6 cycles starting August 2010- O but no BFP
    SA Septemeber 2010 Looking good 
    HSG September 2010 All clear 
    1st RE visit May 2011 - IUI#1 June 20, 2011: BFN
    IUI #2 July 31 2011: BFP - m/c @ 5w1d
    Surprise BFP on a break cycle 10/4/11, Due June 4, 2012, Born 6/9/2012
    TTC Blog
    TTC#2 : Cycles 1-3 Protocol 1500mg Metformin Daily, Femara + Ovidrel, Progresterone support 
    HSG#2 November 2013 All clear
    Cycle 4 Metformin, Femara, Bravelle, Ovidrel, Progesterone = BFP
    Little Lady Born 8/28/2014

"There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see, 
    the beauty of love as it was made to be"
    Mumford & Sons
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"