April 2013 Moms

Pregnancy test question

If I should be starting my period next week sometime (I don't take birth control so I'm not sure exactly) then is now too early for a pregnancy test to work?

Re: Pregnancy test question

• @CanukMam‌ me too! I'm 9 dpo today as well and it's taking every fiber in my body to not pee on a stick until Friday.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Loading the player...
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    I'm a frequent and early tester.  Using FRER I've gotten both my positives over a week early... 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • With both of mine I tested a few days early and used the dollar store test just to save money until it got closer. I just couldn't wait but didn't want to waste 7 bucks. I got positives with both and it even says to compare to ept on the box. Good luck :)

• JSS1002 said:
    I'm a frequent and early tester.  Using FRER I've gotten both my positives over a week early... 

quit that! I was set on testing on Friday ;)
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    arschm02 said:
    JSS1002 said:

quit that! I was set on testing on Friday ;)
    Hahahaha, I don't know how people wait!!  

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm always so impatient too. I think I'm really hesitant this time because I am trying not to get my hopes up (even though they're ridiculously high already). I've been charting my temps and, while I'm almost positive I ovulated, there are a couple temps that completely skew my chart. I know not all women ovulate for several cycles after a miscarriage, but I REALLY hope I'm not one of those ladies.
    @burneyonboard, I have 5 of those tests waiting in my bathroom drawer for me. :)
  • CanukMamCanukMam member
    edited May 2014
    Fuck it I am testing this morning

Bah negative. Worst part is now I don't know if its truly negative or if I should test again next friday :P
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CanukMam said:

results girl!
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    CanukMam said:

Bah negative. Worst part is now I don't know if its truly negative or if I should test again next friday :P

That'll depend on if you get your period or not -- but now you can have some wine anyway!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hah, not much of a wine drinker. Worst part is I just started a round of (pregnancy safe) antibiotics which 'may cause spotting' and other pregnancy symptoms :P

I am just going to have to be patient and continue trying to get pregnant a lot ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CanukMam said:
    Fuck it I am testing this morning Bah negative. Worst part is now I don't know if its truly negative or if I should test again next friday :P

keep on peeing :)
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    I tested at what I thought was about 9 DPO for Helen and it was negative. I wasn't charting and turns out I ovulated almost a week late... Retested before going out for drinks a week later and lo and behold, I had to pass on the margaritas.

So unless you are pretty sure when you ovulated, try to wait until a little closer to AF's anticipated arrival. But if you're charting, go for it.
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    Yeah with James I tested two days in a row and got negatives and then the next day positive... This time around was a total fluke. I'm a test aholic though. I just buy a bunch and use me until I get my period or a positive :-)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm an early and frequent tester. I got a positive at (textbook) 9dpo the is time. With Logan it was later.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• JSS1002JSS1002 member
    Grace0609 said:
    I'm an early and frequent tester. I got a positive at (textbook) 9dpo the is time. With Logan it was later.
    I have always been an early and often tester as well. I know it is not the most cost efficient way to do it, but wondfos made it so easy!! For the three pregnancies that I was charting or using opks I always had a positive test at 9dpo. So it made it hard to wait, and very hard to hold out hope if the test wasn't positive that early!!
    And actually when I found out super early both times, it was a really good thing because my progesterone was VERY low both times - but since we caught it early, I could start supplements early, which may or may not have "kept me pregnant."

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I too am a habitual early tester. I would buy several cheap ones so it didn't make me feel as guilty for wasting money. Personally, the longer i waited, the higher my hopes got, and we tried for quite a while so I would always test early to keep myself from getting too excited. Sounds silly, I know. 
    Married July 2008.  TTC 2010.
    Stephen James born 4/24/13 after 27 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing!
    Due with #2   4/16/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JSS1002 said:
    Grace0609 said:
    I'm an early and frequent tester. I got a positive at (textbook) 9dpo the is time. With Logan it was later.
    I have always been an early and often tester as well. I know it is not the most cost efficient way to do it, but wondfos made it so easy!! For the three pregnancies that I was charting or using opks I always had a positive test at 9dpo. So it made it hard to wait, and very hard to hold out hope if the test wasn't positive that early!!
    And actually when I found out super early both times, it was a really good thing because my progesterone was VERY low both times - but since we caught it early, I could start supplements early, which may or may not have "kept me pregnant."

my doc has never once tested my progesterone levels. This would have never been caught with me.
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    arschm02 said:

JSS1002 said:

Grace0609 said:

doeie04 said:

my doc has never once tested my progesterone levels. This would have never been caught with me.

I think it depends on your doc/midwife. One of my BFFs had two miscarriages and it wasn't until her third BFP that her midwife did a full blood work up and early ultrasound. Turned out her progesterone was low, so she had to supplement for first tri. My OB was all about a "more is more" approach to testing, which was cool with me!
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    Grace0609 said:

arschm02 said:

JSS1002 said:

Grace0609 said:

doeie04 said:

Me neither. It is not tested in otherwise normal women without history of recurrent loss at our office.

Weird. It was an automatic part of the appt when I came in for a "pregnancy confirmation" test -- took blood and then did it again two days later to make sure my hcg was doubling. They did the progesterone the first time because I was spotting and cramping... The second time I asked for it since I'd needed it the first time and they said they would have done it based on my being low the first time around.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    Grace0609 said:
    JSS1002 said:
    Grace0609 said:

Me neither. It is not tested in otherwise normal women without history of recurrent loss at our office.
    Weird. It was an automatic part of the appt when I came in for a "pregnancy confirmation" test -- took blood and then did it again two days later to make sure my hcg was doubling. They did the progesterone the first time because I was spotting and cramping... The second time I asked for it since I'd needed it the first time and they said they would have done it based on my being low the first time around.
    We don't have pregnancy confirmation appointments. First appointment is at 8 weeks. Generally there is not a reason to in otherwise normal pregnancies without a significant history in past pregnancies.
    I think the reason I had it is because I called right away and they scheduled my first appt for 8 or 10 weeks or whatever,but then a few days later I called because I had significant spotting and cramping (This was with my first pregnancy)...so they asked me if I wanted to come in for it. And I said yes. So then with the second pregnancy, i just asked if I could have it done, and they said sure!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @Grace0609‌ I have personally decided you are the resident expert...so...If I used a opk and got my smiley on Saturday...when is the earliest you would take a pregnancy test? I was thinking I would try tomorrow morning...think that's too early? I am expecting AF next Monday (assuming 28 day cycle) it will only be my second pp so I'm not sure of my cycle length...but that's what it was before G. Thanks
  • Thanks. I've never temped before. Figure we would work at it with opks for a few months before trying anything else. Not in a huge rush...just hate not knowing! I will test later this week....appreciate the advice!
  • CanukMamCanukMam member
    edited May 2014
    Still no AF! It's been a solid month. This week is going to drag so much.. I can't wait till friday!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • EDub93EDub93 member
    Thanks for all the responses!!! We aren't actually "trying" but we aren't protecting. Just being careful with when he finishes. Does that sound really silly? I've just never had good luck with pills and condemns as you all know suck.

I've just gotten really curious tho if it's possible to get pregnant even if he doesn't finish inside. Does anyone know of that happening?
  • I can't believe anyone still thinks that....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    jenbee829 said:
    Grace0609 said:
    Thanks for all the responses!!! We aren't actually "trying" but we aren't protecting. Just being careful with when he finishes. Does that sound really silly? I've just never had good luck with pills and condemns as you all know suck. I've just gotten really curious tho if it's possible to get pregnant even if he doesn't finish inside. Does anyone know of that happening?
    Um, yes it can happen bc preejaculate contains sperm. And condoms suck? Why? They work darn well if you use them right!
    YES. What @grace0609 said. This is why we need sex ed.
    Absolutely you can get pregnant if you have vaginal intercourse without protection.  Regardless of when or where he ejaculates.  Come on.  

I never had a problem with condoms when we used them.  I actually prefer them to hormonal BC because I hate being on hormones.  My husband hates them, but it never bothered me at all.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • EDub93EDub93 member
    Hmmm they've always been uncomfortable for me. Not sure why. And not as good for him. Maybe we aren't using the right kinds?

And I guess I knew it was possible. But the chances of it happening is what I'm really curious about. I promise I'm not stupid. Im not expecting to not get pregnant even though we are having unprotected sex. Just trying to be smart with our timing. Going to officially start trying in a couple months. That's why I don't want to get on the pill for such a short time.
  • JSS1002 said:
    jenbee829 said:
    Grace0609 said:
    Thanks for all the responses!!! We aren't actually "trying" but we aren't protecting. Just being careful with when he finishes. Does that sound really silly? I've just never had good luck with pills and condemns as you all know suck. I've just gotten really curious tho if it's possible to get pregnant even if he doesn't finish inside. Does anyone know of that happening?
    Um, yes it can happen bc preejaculate contains sperm. And condoms suck? Why? They work darn well if you use them right!
    YES. What @grace0609 said. This is why we need sex ed.
    Absolutely you can get pregnant if you have vaginal intercourse without protection.  Regardless of when or where he ejaculates.  Come on.  

I never had a problem with condoms when we used them.  I actually prefer them to hormonal BC because I hate being on hormones.  My husband hates them, but it never bothered me at all.
    It's possible but not very likely, as long as the guy has enough self-control to pull out in time every time. We used withdrawal as our sole method of birth control for years.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    EDub93 said:
    Hmmm they've always been uncomfortable for me. Not sure why. And not as good for him. Maybe we aren't using the right kinds? And I guess I knew it was possible. But the chances of it happening is what I'm really curious about. I promise I'm not stupid. Im not expecting to not get pregnant even though we are having unprotected sex. Just trying to be smart with our timing. Going to officially start trying in a couple months. That's why I don't want to get on the pill for such a short time.
    Did you use them with lube?  If nto, that might be the problem.  My husband does hate them, but they never caused me any issues.  I know you're not stupid, but I think if you are having unprotected sex, it has to be with the acceptance that you will get pregnant.  maybe you won't, but I wouldn't chance it if you actively do not want to get pregnant.

That said ,if you chart your cycles and temp and have regular cycles, you can usually be SOMEWHAT aware when you are fertile, and avoiding sex altogether on those days will help.  

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • EDub93EDub93 member
    Getting pregnant right now wouldn't be a problem. That's why we aren't taking more sure ways of protection. I'm just putting it off for a couple reasons but mainly because I was unbearably morning sick last time around. Now would be ideal to start trying. But my LO still isn't sleeping through the night and still working on weaning her and getting a well balanced diet incorporated into her everyday meals. And I'm just very nervous about going through that again let alone with a baby to take care of. I was almost to the point of dehydration.
  • AHHHHHH still no AF!!! I'm going crazy

I'm also finding that I want chocolate and ice cream... which is totally a pregnancy thing for me. I'm weird, cause I don't normally like either. Now I feel like a chocolate/ice cream monster.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"