Breastfeeding
Options

How long do you pump?

I returned to work last week and am pumping 3x while away. I keep reading to pump for 20 minutes but my milk usually stops flowing after 10 minutes (almost exactly). I don't usually get another letdown after this so keeping the pump going just makes me sore. I'm getting enough in these 10 minutes sessions so is there any reason(s) I should be forcing the session to last longer?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long do you pump?

• Options
    I would try playing around with the settings to see if another letdown is possible. (I usually could only get one letdown, but I always tried to get a second.)

Otherwise, I pumped a few minutes after the milk stopped dripping. If your pump is making you sore, you probably need to check flange size or lower the suction level. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I pump 20-30 min to stimulate supply even if milk has stopped. It should never hurt, so I would try different flanges as the pp mentioned.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'll try playing with the settings today.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I always pumped 20 minutes (but I had three letdowns so it made sense). If you haven't been a regular pumper in a way you're training your body to respond to the pump and the stimulation will be important for signaling the need for milk. Give it a little bit of time to see if you get another letdown.
  • Options
    if you're getting the amount of BM you need with 10 minute sessions, you don't need to pump more, IMO. i only ever pumped about 10-12 minutes per session-- after that point my breasts felt pretty empty and the milk slowed down to a trickle, so it just wasn't worth it to continue. 
  • Options
    Depends on which pump I'm using. PISA - 15-20 min, Symphony - 10-15 min
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do 10 minutes and I get enough milk so I stop.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    htk1113htk1113 member
    I usually pump 20 minutes and can get two letdowns.  Sometimes it takes a bit to get the first letdown to start so I give myself the full 20 minutes.  I don't clock watch so sometimes I think I go more than 20.  I also try to distract (relax) myself by working while pumping which allows me to have two let downs a session.

• Options
    htk1113htk1113 member
    linzeek44 said:
     If your pump is making you sore, you probably need to check flange size or lower the suction level. 
    I agree with this.  But if you feel the flange size is good try coconut oil or olive oil on your nipples to help lube up the flanges.  That was recommended to me by my lactation consultant and it has worked wonders for me.  
  • Options
    cnctfcnctf member
    15 minutes. At Bout 10 minutes, I stop flowing. A helpful advice I received was when u stop Flowing , lean forward, jiggle your boob all around to the length of two happy bday songs and pump again. It gets your boobs flowing a bit again and helps you get the hindmilk out.
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I also only pump for 10 min and get the amount that I need. I initially started pumping when DD was about 2 weeks and then returned to consistent pumping around 6 weeks. Pumping also made my nipples sore. I now put lanolin on them right before pumping and this has made all the difference in the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"